Author Topic: Justices rule for defendants on money laundering  (Read 3452 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Justices rule for defendants on money laundering
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:15:41 AM »
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/jun/02/justices-rule-for-defendants-on-money-laundering/

I think I remember seeing this case or a similar case like this.  Looks good to me.  Just because someone has cash doesn't automatically make it illegal without further evidence.  To say otherwise basically makes possessing cash illegal.  Any guesses if this will have other implications? 

The Associated Press

Mon, Jun 2, 2008 (7:37 a.m.)
Click here to find out more!

The Supreme Court on Monday ruled against the government in two money laundering cases, making it more difficult for prosecutors to use an important weapon in the war on drugs and organized crime.

In a unanimous decision, Justice Clarence Thomas said that a money laundering case cannot be proven merely by showing that funds were concealed while being transported.

In a 5-4 ruling, Justice Antonin Scalia said that money laundering refers to profits of an illegal operation, not gross receipts. The court's interpretation is a narrow one opposed by law enforcement agencies.

Money laundering carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and prosecutors often use it in drug and gambling cases.

Congress enacted the anti-money laundering law in 1986 after the President's Commission on Organized Crime highlighted the growing problem of "washing" criminal proceeds through overseas bank accounts and legitimate businesses.

The cases are U.S. v. Santos, 06-1005, and Cuellar v. U.S., 06-1456.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Justices rule for defendants on money laundering
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »
Not politics.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:27:50 AM »
Isn't Round Table for threads that aren't politics.....?

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:37:46 AM »
nm, didn't see that it got moved.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »
Supreme Court rulings aren't politics? 

Okay. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 07:08:33 PM »
Anyone have the specifics of the case?  I'm curious if this is against the usual suspects, or from the unorthodox use of the charge, the way RICO is used for everything these days.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »
Anyone have the specifics of the case?  I'm curious if this is against the usual suspects, or from the unorthodox use of the charge, the way RICO is used for everything these days.

Most of the RICO filings aren't handled by the government these days-it's sue-happy "free marketeers" that are overusing RICO to try and get some money.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 08:20:17 PM »
OK, anybody else have the specifics of the case?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

De Selby

• friend
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 12:38:08 AM »
So this is a good thing, right?

It makes it harder on gov types therefore a little bit of freedom is rescued from the abyss.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 01:48:02 AM »
Supreme Court rulings aren't politics? 

Okay. 

COURT.

You do recognize what word COURT what what it means, right?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 01:53:40 AM »
The Supreme Court is a political body, IMO. But that's an issue for a separate thread.  grin

[opens can of worms, chucks into thread]
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 01:56:56 AM »
Maybe the Isralie Supreme Court is a political body, but I figure they're too busy profiteering on helmets and slings to really care.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 02:03:12 AM »
The Israeli supreme court is self-described political body. Aharon Barak repeatedly made statements as to how the role of the court is to steer all of us illiterate savages towards progress.

But seriously - search 'judges' on any US political forum, you'll be seeing arguments as to which President will appoint better judges ('better' meaning subscribing to the constitutional interpretation of your own faction). There are people who vote solely on the basis of which judges the candidate supports or opposes. So the decisions of the judges are also a political issue.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 05:30:20 AM »
Regardless, this ruling seems pretty positive on the surface.  At least it seems to roll back a little bit of the War on Drugs stuff that people talk about. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 05:36:09 AM »
The appointment process is a politicial function.

The Supreme Court sitting in regular JUDICIAL session and issuing its rulings is NOT a subject for discussion in the Politics section here on APS.

I don't give a damn how the justices describe themselves.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 06:35:02 AM »
No problem.  I considered judicial rulings as political, but I'll know where to put them now.  Cheesy