Author Topic: Rotator Cuff Injury  (Read 4263 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Rotator Cuff Injury
« on: March 09, 2005, 06:56:59 AM »
For about two years, I've had problems on and off with my left shoulder. Not totally debilitating, but chronic and severe enough to concern me now. Talked to GP, who recommended physical therapy, which I'd like to avoid. A cortisone shot provided relief for about two months, but the problem recurs periodically. I'm also getting regular chiropractic adjustments which have really helped with some (unrelated, I think?) back trouble. Pain (especially when raising arm above horizontal) feels primarily like anterior deltoid, stiffness, and limited mobility, which I understand are all symptoms of a tear or tendonitis.

I'm doing some simple range of motion exercises which seem to help, but I can't kick the problem or get it to heal completely. Anyone have any suggestions, or care to share related experiences that might help?

Thanks,

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Unisaw

• friend
Rotator Cuff Injury
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 07:07:32 AM »
Why do you want to avoid physical therapy?  It helped me get over a chronic neck condition that a year of chiropractic care and some pretty powerful medications couldn't handle.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Preacherman

Rotator Cuff Injury
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 07:30:37 AM »
I injured my right rotator cuff in 2002.  A cortisone injection, followed by physical therapy for about three months, cleared it up.  If that hadn't worked, the next step would have been surgery.  So, by all means go for physical therapy - it's a heck of a lot cheaper and less painful than the alternative!
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

SADShooter

• friend
Rotator Cuff Injury
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 07:55:51 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I suppose I was concerned about the time and expense involved, and hoping I could find a regimen of "self-therapy".

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Rotator Cuff Injury
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 12:00:02 PM »
Have you had x-rays to find the nature of the problem for sure?

An uncle of mine once had some back problems and it turns out his shoulder was just partially dislocated.  When the chiropractor put it back into place the back pain didn't come back.  Now, the whole family has back trouble to begin with... which is why he went to the chiropractor.

I've done it myself before too.  Took 3 days for me to realize that my shoulder was a bit out of socket.  It isn't always obvious when it happens.  I'm in the habbit of just popping it back in and out every now and again to make sure it's in the right spot (once a week maybe)...

I'm no doctor, however, and I've often done some stupid stuff to my body.

45r

Rotator Cuff Injury
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 01:37:54 PM »
If it were me, I would start getting therapy for my shoulder as soon as possible. The shoulder is one of the hardest joints in the body to rehab. The sooner you do it the better. Nasty things can manifest from a shoulder problem such as neck and shoulder pain, elbow or wrist pain, issues with frozen shoulder and impingment to name a few.

If the chiropractor isnt working for you, try physical therapy. The two professions refer back and forth all the time!

Big_R

• friend
Rotator Cuff Injury
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 07:57:10 AM »
I had the same issue a while back.  Got some instruction from a former gymnast I work with.  I'll do my best to describe it.

Stand straight with your back against a wall, with light weights in each hand (it's OK to not use any weight at first).  Raise your upper arm so it's perpendicular to your torso, with your elbow touching the wall at shoulder height, with the weight hanging down.  Raise the weight while keeping your upper arm perpendicular as high as you can go, then lower the weight.  All the time, keep your upper arms perpendicular to your torso.  If you can't do more than 8 reps, you're using too heavy a weight.  Add weight once you can do three sets of 12 reps.  

The key in this is gaining flexibility and strength for the rotation part of your shoulder.  There are other exercises you can do, but all of this amounts to non-professional physical therapy anyway.  There are lots of shoulder exercises (do a google search), but this one is a good way to start.  In my case, I haven't had any shoulder pain in well over 4 years.  I do this exercise (in addition to a boatload more) three times/week.

Ryan

45r

Rotator Cuff Injury
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 08:30:59 AM »
Big_R

The key in this is gaining flexibility and strength for the rotation part of your shoulder.

The key to rehab is Flexibility, Endurance then strength!  Cheesy Your former gymnast gave you a pretty good exercise.