Author Topic: Drink Up Folks -- Coffee is Good for You  (Read 3689 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Drink Up Folks -- Coffee is Good for You
« on: August 29, 2005, 07:11:53 AM »
This just in -- coffee is good for you. Of course next week a study will come out that shows it causes sterility and back hair... Cheesy

--------------------------------------
http://www.pennlive.com/newsflash/pa/index.ssf?/base/news-30/112524804049300.xml&storylist=penn

DIET: Coffee reported to be top source of healthy antioxidants
8/28/2005, 12:46 p.m. ET
By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID
The Associated Press       

WASHINGTON (AP)  When the Ink Spots sang "I love the java jive and it loves me" in 1940, they could not have known how right they were.

Coffee not only helps clear the mind and perk up the energy, it also provides more healthful antioxidants than any other food or beverage in the American diet, according to a study released Sunday.

Of course, too much coffee can make people jittery and even raise cholesterol levels, so food experts stress moderation.

The findings by Joe A. Vinson, a chemistry professor at the University of Scranton, in Pennsylvania, give a healthy boost to the warming beverage.

"The point is, people are getting the most antioxidants from beverages, as opposed to what you might think," Vinson said in a telephone interview.

Antioxidants, which are thought to help battle cancer and provide other health benefits, are abundant in grains, tomatoes and many other fruits and vegetables.

Vinson said he was researching tea and cocoa and other foods and decided to study coffee, too.

His team analyzed the antioxidant content of more than 100 different food items, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, oils and common beverages. They then used Agriculture Department data on typical food consumption patterns to calculate how much antioxidant each food contributes to a person's diet.

They concluded that the average adult consumes 1,299 milligrams of antioxidants daily from coffee. The closest competitor was tea at 294 milligrams. Rounding out the top five sources were bananas, 76 milligrams; dry beans, 72 milligrams; and corn, 48 milligrams. According to the Agriculture Department, the typical adult American drinks 1.64 cups of coffee daily.

That does not mean coffee is a substitute for fruit and vegetables.

"Unfortunately, consumers are still not eating enough fruits and vegetables, which are better for you from an overall nutritional point of view due to their higher content of vitamins, minerals and fiber," Vinson said.

Dates, cranberries and red grapes are among the leading fruit sources of antioxidants, he said.

The antioxidants in coffee are known as polyphenols. Sometimes they are bound to a sugar molecule, which covers up the antioxidant group, Vinson said.

The first step in measuring them was to break that sugar link. He noted that chemicals in the stomach do the same thing, freeing the polyphenols.

"We think that antioxidants can be good for you in a number of ways," including affecting enzymes and genes, though more research is needed, Vinson said.

"If I say more coffee is better, then I would have to tell you to spread it out to keep the levels of antioxidants up," Vinson said. "We always talk about moderation in anything."

His findings were released in conjunction with the annual convention of the American Chemical Society in Washington.

In February, a team of Japanese researchers reported in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute that people who drank coffee daily, or nearly every day, had half the liver cancer risk of those who never drank it. The protective effect occurred in people who drank one to two cups a day and increased at three to four cups.

Last year, researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health found that drinking coffee cut the risk of developing the most common form of diabetes.

Men who drank more than six 8-ounce cups of caffeinated coffee per day lowered their risk of type 2 diabetes by about half, and women reduced their risk by nearly 30 percent, compared with people who did not drink coffee, according to the study in Annals of Internal Medicine.

Bonnie Liebman, nutrition director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, said she was not surprised by Vinson's finding, because tea has been known to contain antioxidants.

But Liebman, who was not part of Vinson's research team, cautioned that while many people have faith that antioxidants will reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease and more, the evidence has not always panned out. Most experts are looking beyond antioxidants to the combination of vitamins, minerals other nutrition in specific foods, she said.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 07:19:05 AM »
I'm sure it'll be a great article, but before I read it everything in the room needs to stop vibrating.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 07:22:29 AM »
So coffee consumption cuts the risks of some cancers of the liver and type 2 diabetes eh?  Hmmm...  Still not the primare reason I drink it.

--------------------------------------
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the Beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 08:44:18 AM »
I can't live without it.  I'm on my 5th cup right now. Smiley

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 08:58:20 AM »
How about coffee ice cream?

MMMMMmmmmmm.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 09:05:39 AM »
Coffee chocolate ice cream. Dreyer's French Silk is very good.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 03:42:37 PM »
I can already tell ya it causes back hair.

I used to drink about 3 airpots full before noon when we owned the coffeehouse.  Caffiene is my primary neurotransmitter.  It keeps you regular, too, which is probably why it's potentially good against some cancers.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Brrlgrrl

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 03:48:53 PM »
Wow, what a relief to hear coffee's good for me!  I already drink three pots a day.  I need to enjoy the good news now before it changes again next week.  Maybe I'll try the ice cream Riley MC talking about.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 04:03:33 PM »
It keeps you regular, too
Gee, thanks for the visual, Doc. Cheesy

Is it the caffeine or another ingredient or just the fact that it is a warm liquid?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 07:47:44 PM »
Any bets on how long it'll be before we find out that coffee does something horrible that will kill you by 30?

Potato skins...  When I was a kid, they told us potato skins caused cancer.  Then, they told us that potato skins would give you eternal life because that's where all the vitamins were.  Now, they'll kill you again because all the pesticides end up gathered in the skin.  I just gave up on potatoes.

Eggs...  First, they're the evil devil spawn cholesterol spewing heart stoppers.  Then, they provided much needed protein.  Then it was just the whites that provided protein.  Then eggs caused cancer for a reason I can't recall...  probably DDT or somesuch.  Then somebody said that there was no evidence that eating eggs raised your cholesterol.  Now I think we're back to eggs being a bigger killer than Stalin and a dozen comet impacts all at once.  I don't care, I like omelettes.

My personal favorite was the astounding story from the heart association, no less a revelation than the appearance of Christ himself, that enchiladas and fettucini alfredo were fattening.  I never would have guessed.  The local news idiots went around to the various death merchants of Italian and Tex-Mex cuisine and interviewed customers, presumably with an eye to watching one of them croak on camera and plant his pain-twisted face in a heaping pile of chimichangas.  Alas, the citizens of my fair city were too clever for this ruse.  The responses included blank stares, replies of "well, DUH," and a comment by one man, aired on the news, of "wow, this must be a slow news day."

*sigh*  I just don't care anymore.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 10:14:32 PM »
I always think of the Woody Allen movie Sleeper, when I hear about this kind of thing.  His character is a health food nut-all sprouts and macrobiotics.  200 years later he wakes up to find that all those things are bad for you, and everyone lives on ice cream sundaes and pudding. cheesy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 04:54:35 AM »
I can already tell ya it causes back hair.
Dangit! I was really hoping for "Communist plot" as the cause. Back to the conspiracy theory drawing board for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

...has left the building.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 09:27:30 AM »
I'm sorry but coffee tastes terrible. I'd rather wake up to three shots of cheap tequila than a Grande Latte from Starbucks.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 09:40:46 AM »
I'd rather wake up to three shots of cheap tequila than a Grande Latte from Starbucks.
Coffee has nothing to do with that.

...has left the building.

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 01:25:11 PM »
haha! I'm just talking on a pure flavor basis, nothing to do with the effects of said drinks.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 08:24:21 AM »
Mr. Flory,

Starbucks does not sell coffee.  They sell image and status, and their poorly roasted coffee and blender drinks are just the vehicle.  Good, finely roasted fresh coffee, with a bit of cream, is more proof that God loves us.