Author Topic: Merged - SCOTUS decision on Heller  (Read 59915 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Merged - SCOTUS decision on Heller
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2008, 07:16:42 AM »
Here's a question to the legal-eagles here: what happens to the records of people convicted of violating a law that is later found to be unconstitutional?

What if they were fined or imprisoned for a time?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2008, 07:17:23 AM »
Also:

'There is simply no comparison at all between a man who is armed and a man who is not armed. ... Why should a man who is wrong, and armed, pay any attention at all to a man who is right, and not armed?" -Machiavelli

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2008, 07:20:18 AM »
The DC mayor is on Fox News right now.  Wish I had a feed.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2008, 07:22:05 AM »

Apparently he thinks it doesn't apply to semi-automatic handguns. What a tool.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2008, 07:23:58 AM »
What?  Where does that even come from?  How could you possibly formulate such a thought?

I wish I wasn't so bothered by reality.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2008, 07:24:31 AM »
http://www.livenewscameras.com/

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2008, 07:27:48 AM »
I woke up anxious this morning at the hour of the wolf--disquieting thoughts about this case at 4am.

I have not yet looked at the ruling and opinions in depth, but...

Well, we prevailed, and that is obviously A Good Thing, but the fact that it was five to four is a bit amazing. I am shaking my head.  That's not a margin of victory that can give us any false sense of security.  Be assured that this decision will be re-visited in the coming years.

What we have done is buy time, and the older I get the more I realize that EVERYTHING, including this noble American project is just that: buying time against the seemingly inexorable energies of tyranny and disintegration.  Today we live.  Onward.  We have a lot of work to do.

I think, in the end, that this ruling was not about gun rights but, bluntly, about the viability of the Court itself.  An adverse decision would have been, without doubt, politically convulsive.

Godspeed to all of us.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2008, 07:30:15 AM »
How does one get a username and password?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2008, 07:40:20 AM »
Here's a question to the legal-eagles here: what happens to the records of people convicted of violating a law that is later found to be unconstitutional?

Pardon or Petition for Post Conviction Relief
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2008, 07:41:38 AM »
I'm glad we won.

But is anyone else scared by the fact that 4 supreme court justices are either unable or unwilling to accept the plain-as-day-obvious meaning of the constitution?

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2008, 07:43:01 AM »
No, we knew that when they were confirmed.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2008, 07:44:57 AM »
The how on God's green earth did we allow them to be confirmed?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2008, 07:46:33 AM »

The same way that people are thinking that voting for Obama is a good idea, despite the collectivist talk?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2008, 07:53:08 AM »
I'm glad we won.

But is anyone else scared by the fact that 4 supreme court justices are either unable or unwilling to accept the plain-as-day-obvious meaning of the constitution?

Not nearly as scared as I am that so many Americans actually believe the myth that the SCOTUS has the Constitutional authority to essentially legislate through its rulings.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2008, 07:53:14 AM »
Souter has actually turned out to be quite the shock.

He appeared to be a moderately conservative judge when Bush appointed him in the early 1990s, but he's turned into a freaking nightmare.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2008, 07:56:58 AM »
Today we won our beachhead....our line in the sand.....

Now it's time to start fighting our way forward. Our side has started filing cases in Chicago and NYC....let's do all we can to support this effort.....

....and support the local efforts where you live, too. I'm joining TSRA ASAP...  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #166 on: June 26, 2008, 07:57:51 AM »
Okay, that's shocking. I nosed at the BBC boards, and people are fussing that despite the bans over there, "gun crime" has been rising more and more every year. They've taken notice of this decision.

Wow.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2008, 08:14:31 AM »
Okay, that's shocking. I nosed at the BBC boards, and people are fussing that despite the bans over there, "gun crime" has been rising more and more every year. They've taken notice of this decision.

Wow.

Linky?

Are you suggesting that this might invigorate the Brits to revisit lawful possession of firearms for people of honor to resist the tyranny of criminal scum?

That would be a fabulous result that could spread to other corners of Europe and to Canada as well.

America leading again... imagine that.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2008, 08:34:17 AM »
Anyone nose in over at Democratic Underground today?

What's it like over there?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2008, 08:36:22 AM »
Anyone nose in over at Democratic Underground today?

What's it like over there?

Not there, but here's my favorite vomit-worthy from the Kos Kidz.

My opinion on the 2nd amendment is this:

1 The 2nd amendment does say that we have the right to keep and bear arms. We can own guns and bullets. It says that, so lets just not argue about it and accept that thats what it says.

2 Maybe now, after almost 250 years, is the time to amend the 2nd amendment. Create the 28th amendment that changes the 2nd by taking away our right to bear arms. Why not, because let's face it...having the right to bear arms hasn't really worked out well for us, has it? We just keep shooting each other to death. Let's change the 2nd amendment and try another tack in trying to achieve the goal of not killing each other.

Thatd be fine with me.

Obama, '08 - Because the failure of America as a democracy is not an option!

by WSComn on Thu Jun 26, 2008 at 08:09:43 AM PDT

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2008, 08:45:37 AM »
5-4.  We lose.  You heard it here first.

Umm, how exactly would you like your crow served up, Grampster?   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #171 on: June 26, 2008, 08:46:07 AM »
Nice quote from McCain...

"Unlike the elitist view that believes Americans cling to guns out of bitterness, today's ruling recognizes that gun ownership is a fundamental right -- sacred, just as the right to free speech and assembly," McCain said.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #172 on: June 26, 2008, 08:55:08 AM »

The right wing of the Republican party was quite vocal when Bush I nominated the syrup-sipping Souter.

There were plenty of conservatives to pick from but Bush did not want to overturn Roe v. Wade before the '92 election (remember the Casey decision) as he thought he could play it safe by being nice with the Left (tax hikes and preserving the fiction of Roe v. Wade).

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2008, 09:21:19 AM »

The right wing of the Republican party was quite vocal when Bush I nominated the syrup-sipping Souter.

There were plenty of conservatives to pick from but Bush did not want to overturn Roe v. Wade before the '92 election (remember the Casey decision) as he thought he could play it safe by being nice with the Left (tax hikes and preserving the fiction of Roe v. Wade).
I thought he was looking for stealth nominee that would slide past a very partisan democrat senate. Souter was a virtual unknown picked because he was not known for any important cases or rulings. Sort of the "anti-Bork".
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #174 on: June 26, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »
Nice quote from McCain...

"Unlike the elitist view that believes Americans cling to guns out of bitterness, today's ruling recognizes that gun ownership is a fundamental right -- sacred, just as the right to free speech and assembly," McCain said.

Does this mean that McCain will recognize it?  He doesn't have the best track record in this area.  I wonder if he changed his mind.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.