Author Topic: YES! Knesset Approves "Castle Doctrine"  (Read 2565 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
YES! Knesset Approves "Castle Doctrine"
« on: June 24, 2008, 09:34:59 PM »
Knesset approves law allowing property owners to kill intruders
By Haaretz Service
Tags: Shai Dromi, Zahava Gal-On

The Knesset Constitution, Law and Justice Committee on Wednesday approved in second and third readings a broad version of the "Shai Dromi Bill," which absolves from criminal responsibility anyone who kills or injures an intruder in his home, business or farm.

According to the approved version, "a person shall not be held criminally responsible for an action that was necessary immediately to repel someone breaking into or entering a residence, place of business or fenced farm, with the intention of perpetrating a crime, or someone trying to break in."

The law would not apply in a case where the act of self-defense was "patently unreasonable," or in the event that a provocation led to the break-in.
   Advertisement
Negev rancher Shai Dromi was charged with manslaughter after shooting intruders on his ranch. The Shai Dromi Bill is aimed at avoiding a trial in these cases. The bill was proposed by MKs Yisrael Katz (Likud), Yisrael Hasson (Israel Beiteinu), and Zvi Hendel and Eliahu Gabay (National Union-NRP). Six lawmakers supported it in committee and four opposed, including committee chair Menahem Ben-Sasson (Kadima).

MK Ophir Pines-Paz (Labor) slammed Labor ministers for voting in favor of the law and said they made a lot of "foolish mistakes." Meretz whip Zahava Gal-On said at the committee meeting a fortnight ago that the bill "gives permission to kill people," and suggested sarcastically: "Just spray the intruders and be done with it. Hand out machine guns to every moshavnik." MK David Rotem (Yisrael Beitenu) told Gal-On "then don't come by my home," to which Gal-On replied "I can't believe this is real, the Knesset is crazy." "The Knesset is crazy for having people like you in it," Rotem retorted.

The bill would make exemption from criminal responsibility due to self-defense more flexible in two respects. It does not require that a person defending himself against an intruder to be in tangible danger, as is required of a person who acts to repel an assailant. Secondly, it grants protection to a person who has acted in an unreasonable manner (though not patently unreasonable).
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
Re: YES! Knesset Approves "Castle Doctrine"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 10:27:37 PM »
Not a single bit of bias in the article title...no sir!
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 11:28:59 PM »
Ha'aretz is owned by the same people as the NYT. What did you expect?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 01:47:14 PM »
shootinstudent will be along shortly to say how only the Palestinians should be allowed to use lethal force for defense, and that the Palies deserve every pound of flesh they strip off of school aged Israelis Thieves of the Motherland.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:56:40 PM »
MK Ophir Pines-Paz (Labor) slammed Labor ministers for voting in favor of the law and said they made a lot of "foolish mistakes." Meretz whip Zahava Gal-On said at the committee meeting a fortnight ago that the bill "gives permission to kill people," and suggested sarcastically: "Just spray the intruders and be done with it. Hand out machine guns to every moshavnik."

Goes to show ya, people are the same everywhere (except for the handing machine guns out to every moshavnik part grin).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 01:58:51 PM »
shootinstudent will be along shortly to say how only the Palestinians should be allowed to use lethal force for defense, and that the Palies deserve every pound of flesh they strip off of school aged Israelis Thieves of the Motherland.

Right-because that's not a charicature of my views or the views of anyone who supports Palestinian and Israeli equality?

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Iain

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 02:00:15 PM »

At what point did this become acceptable around here?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 07:39:58 PM »
Why does every thread about the Middle-East devolve into discussion about Israelis vs. Palestinians?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:33:38 PM »
Why does every thread about the Middle-East devolve into discussion about Israelis vs. Palestinians?

This one shouldn't have, and wouldn't have if we could act like grown-ups.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."