Author Topic: Good book I'm reading  (Read 1054 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Good book I'm reading
« on: September 01, 2005, 01:56:44 PM »
For you readers and thinkers out there.

"Voyage of the ant" By James Dina.

Jim is a retired local teacher whom I studied guitar with quite a few years ago.

Prior to my meeting him in about 1985 he had fashioned himself a birchbark canoe using only stone age tools he also made himself. First he had to make the tools and then he used them to build the canoe. At the same time he also made all the primitive containers and grew primitive food packed it all up in his canoe and paddled his way about 250 miles upriver and then backon the Connecticut river. The river passes within yards of his house so he just went out the back door hopped into his canoe and set off with flint knives and bone fishing hooks with wound bark fishing line. He supplemented his stores by fishing and foraging edible plants. The whole project took him 2 years I believe. Well, he wrote a book about the experience in 1989 which I had been unaware of but recently I got a copy and it was just a fascinating read. I just did a search on it and I found a few copies out there. I have a second printing. I found a first edition and I bought it just a few minutes ago. Only one out there that I saw, sorry!

Now to coerce him into signing it...

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!