Author Topic: Cool color photographs from WWI  (Read 9351 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Cool color photographs from WWI
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 09:17:38 AM »
"Nah....everything else the South had to win for the Union (look how many generals/admirals came from Southern states in both world wars...."

Please...

In the North we're smart enough to know when it's time to send some other poor SOB to die for his country.  laugh

I went to Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA. In the years leading up to the civil war a LOT of Southern "gentlemen" went there and later served in the Confederate Army.

Apparently when the South started withdrawing from the Union almost half the college's enrollment and a number of professors went South.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 09:22:57 AM »
"I wonder if anyone had any ideas or methods for taking color pictures in the first decade of the 20th century..."

Would you cut it out with the thread drift already? Geesh... laugh

In general, thread drift is neither encouraged nor discouraged here.

It's just accepted.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 10:07:31 AM »
Apparently the Confederates thought so, they were trying to defend the city and the harbor...

And yes, McGruder recaptured the area occupied by the Union troops.

Then there were also the two battles of Sabine Pass, where Union troops did make it from the barrier islands to the Texas mainland on numerous occasions...

Couldn't hold the territory......or did they need repeated bathroom breaks?......  laugh

MI:

From the perspective of this Son of Iowa, it seems that the Union was unable to hold any Texas territory without absolute command of the surrounding navigable waters.  In the absence of such waters, the Union land efforts dried out.  Even with absolute command, they were unable to secure Galveston Island.

Anyways, both Texas and Virginia were side shows.  The real point of decision was the Mississippi River.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 10:58:52 AM »
"it seems that the Union was unable to hold any Texas territory without absolute command of the surrounding navigable waters."

Huh?

The Union blockage did command the navigable waters in the Gulf of Mexico. Even after the Confederates recaptured Galveston it was virtually worthless as a port. The Union didn't capture, or need to capture, every port available to the Confederates. Galveston during the Civil War wasn't capable of being a supply hub to the Confederacy in the way that Mobile, New Orleans, or Charleston were. It was too far off the beaten path and too poorly served by rail at that time.

That the Union wasn't really all that concerned about keeping Galveston can be seen by the garrison they had there when McGruder attacked.... no more than 290 Union troops were garrisoned there with no apparent plan to bring more Union troops into the town, despite the fact that strong Confederate forces were known to be in that part of Texas.

Contrast that to New Orleans or Mobile, where the first few weeks of the occupation saw as man as 50,000 Union troops garrisoning in the cities.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 11:41:46 AM »
Now I'm all confused.

Did the Confederates fight the Prussians or did the Union defeat the French.

And what's all this about the ANZAC Corps invading Galvestion ??

rolleyes grin angel laugh

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
Funny you should mention the French.

Later in the war the Confederates resorted to running supplies through Mexican ports in the Gulf and bringing them up across the border.

The French had invaded Mexico in 1863, so they were at least somewhat amenable to that practice.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 11:51:39 AM »

Later in the war the Confederates resorted to running supplies through Mexican ports in the Gulf and bringing them up across the border.

The French had invaded Mexico in 1863, so they were at least somewhat amenable to that practice.

BTW, if you want a serious "Wow, what if" to consider with the Civil War, research the steamship Great Eastern, and how, but for a completely screwed up board of directors, she would have been commissioned to carry the ENTIRE Southern cotton crop to Europe. Negotiations were quite under way, but the directors were adamant that she was to be successful in the New York passenger trade, which she never, ever was.

She was 700 feet long and made of solid iron, double-hulled as well. Absolutely nothing in the Union fleet could have stopped her...she could have just plowed right through. That, and she could have pretty much exported the entirely yearly crop in one shipment.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »
"it seems that the Union was unable to hold any Texas territory without absolute command of the surrounding navigable waters."

Huh?

The Union blockage did command the navigable waters in the Gulf of Mexico. Even after the Confederates recaptured Galveston it was virtually worthless as a port. The Union didn't capture, or need to capture, every port available to the Confederates. Galveston during the Civil War wasn't capable of being a supply hub to the Confederacy in the way that Mobile, New Orleans, or Charleston were. It was too far off the beaten path and too poorly served by rail at that time.

That the Union wasn't really all that concerned about keeping Galveston can be seen by the garrison they had there when McGruder attacked.... no more than 290 Union troops were garrisoned there with no apparent plan to bring more Union troops into the town, despite the fact that strong Confederate forces were known to be in that part of Texas.

Contrast that to New Orleans or Mobile, where the first few weeks of the occupation saw as man as 50,000 Union troops garrisoning in the cities.

The point being, the Union could not hold any square inch of the Texas mainland and could barely hold, for a time, an island off its coast.

IOW, no ability to project force inland and control the land.

Relative to the Mississippi campaign, not particularly significant.  But it was reality at the time.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2008, 12:09:28 PM »
"IOW, no ability to project force inland and control the land."

You're confusing ability with need.

There was no need for the Union to project sustained ground forces into Texas.

Do you really doubt that the Union could have easily taken, and held, anywhere it wanted?

The forces the Union sent against Texas were miniscule in comparison to what were directed at truly important Confederate ports.

Mobile was far more heavily defended than any point in Texas during the War, and Union forces didn't have too much trouble not only seizing, but keeping, the harbor, city, and surrounding countryside.

I know this is going to come as a horrific blow to Texas pride, but do you know why the Union didn't much bother with Texas during the war?

Because of its overall unimportance to BOTH the Union and Confederate war efforts.

With the growing Union blockade, Texas ports were less and less functional. And, as I noted, Texas was so far removed, and so poorly connected, that its usefulness as a supply hub for the Confederacy was non existent.

And once the Mississippi River corridor was taken with the fall of Vicksburg, Texas really, as far as Union war plans were concerned, ceased to exist.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2008, 01:34:56 PM »

ANd the only reason the French invaded/took over Mexico was because the US was somewhat busy at the moment.  However the French used the opportunity to add another glorious chapter to their martial history...... rolleyes

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2008, 04:26:49 PM »
Can I turn in an administrator for hijacking this thread......and putting his Yankee nose in Southern (particularly Texan) affairs?..... Tongue
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 09:37:07 AM »
So when the French invaded Mexico and the ANZACS revolted and pushed them back to Lithuania, did they take *color* photos?  cheesy

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 02:36:06 PM »
So when the French invaded Mexico and the ANZACS revolted and pushed them back to Lithuania, did they take *color* photos?  cheesy

Nope......we stopped them at the Alamo.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 02:48:45 PM »

Before or after they bombed Pearl Harbor and burned the White House. ??

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 03:07:59 PM »

Before or after they bombed Pearl Harbor and burned the White House. ??

Before Pearl Harbor.....but after the Battle of New Orleans....

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008, 07:36:09 PM »
I thought the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and the Japenese invaded New Orleans.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2008, 01:32:06 AM »
I thought the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and the Japenese invaded New Orleans.

Nope.....Teddy Roosevelt defeated the Japanese at San Juan Hill before they got there....which allowed Andrew and Stonewall Jackson to take Glorietta, NM before the Germans could bring in Union reinforcements....

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2008, 01:35:13 AM »
No the Germans defeated Custer at Gettysburg.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2008, 02:29:35 AM »
I have to admit, I'm impressed at the depth of historical knowledge being shown here by some of you.

You're credits to public school education.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2008, 08:06:39 AM »
I have to admit, I'm impressed at the depth of historical knowledge being shown here by some of you.

You're credits to public school education.

I like history.....it's like politics in reverse.....but with better characters....

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2008, 08:12:41 AM »
Sarcasm alert, dude.

Sarcasm.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »
My favorite battle is when George Washington sank four Japanese Aircraft Carriers in the Tonkin Gulf.

Favorite Quote though is from George Patton:  "Damn the Torpedos, You may Fire when Ready !!"

grin

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2008, 08:24:12 AM »
My favorite battle is when George Washington sank four Japanese Aircraft Carriers in the Tonkin Gulf.

Favorite Quote though is from George Patton:  "Damn the Torpedos, You may Fire when Ready !!"

grin

No, no, no. MacArthur said that after he promised to return from the Philippines while wading out through the surf to the USS Missouri.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2008, 08:38:15 AM »

grin

No, no, no. MacArthur said that after he promised to return from the Philippines while wading out through the surf to the USS Missouri.

I thought MacArthur said "We Have Nothing to Fear, but 54' 40 or Bust."

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008, 08:43:52 AM »
You sure it wasn't Abraham Lincoln at Williamsburg that said that?
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.