Author Topic: Would you support seceding from the union?  (Read 20113 times)

FiveBillionAcres

Would you support seceding from the union?
« on: July 16, 2008, 09:26:07 PM »
CRUD SORRY FOR THE SPELLING MISTAKE!

Basically what I'm wondering is, would you support your state breaking away from the union? When you're voting please consider that if your state did break away there would probably be some kind of a civil war at least in your state and the rest of the union would send troops to support the loyalists etc.

Are you willing to die for a free state?

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Would you support succeeding from the union?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:32:40 PM »
"Secede".

And, no. This is silly, I see this only on Roooon Pauul boards, and it's a fantasy.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »
If secession happens, it won't be a state by state affair, it will be because unity will be perceived as spiritual death, absorption into something alien and repellent, and it will happen in a federation of some kind, perhaps one that does not represent current geographic boundaries.

The way things are going I would not bet against ANY political eventuality in the years to come.  What sounds impossible today may sound inevitable in two or three years.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:46:44 PM »
I succeed in this union all the time.  In fact, I've done quite well for myself.  I can't say I've never failed, but when I do I always get right back up and try again.

FiveBillionAcres

Re: Would you support seceding from the union?
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:15:01 PM »
Maybe it's a dream in present context with a very apathetic public but sometimes it does happen...

I'm sure to many breaking away from England seemed impossible

Or in more recent memory

Canada came VERY close to losing about 25% of it's population with Quebec wanting to break away.
East Timor successfully seceded from Indonesia.
Singapore left the Malasian Union
Remember Yugoslavia? You've got 7 countries now!

Do I even need to bring up the USSR?

Countries break up, it's been going on for thousands of years,

It's my opinion that the Civil War was fought over less than what we have to fight over today but today we're far more... I dunno less prone to violent uprising or something. Maybe people are just more apathetic now that they have the Mrs. Hooters pageant to distract them.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:24:56 AM »
"Secede".

And, no. This is silly, I see this only on Roooon Pauul boards, and it's a fantasy.

Sure it's a fantasy. It still a legitimate topic for dicussion.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 02:02:06 AM »
I see it as one of those, "You can't fire me, I quit!"-type scenarios.

The Federal gov't seceded from this Union a looooonnng time ago. I don't know what they call the show they're running now, but it isn't America.

I hold the federal government guilty of rebellion, so to speak.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 04:22:16 AM »
No and here's why:

1.  I hate Cheetoes.
2.  I do not live in my Mom's basement.
3.  I have never owned a Wookie custom (although I have used the Chewbacca Defense in court).
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 04:29:31 AM »
No and here's why:

1.  I hate Cheetoes.
3.  I have never owned a Wookie custom (although I have used the Chewbacca Defense in court).

cheesy

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 05:48:30 AM »
Wookie custom

What's a Wookie custom? Is that a new brand of cigarrettes? A surfboard company? Or is it the latest model of environmentally friendly automobile?

"Hey dude, what're you driving?"

"Oh, man, that's my new Wookie custom! It gets 60 mpg and the engine sounds like Chewbacca!"

Or did you mean Wookie costume?  grin

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 06:16:34 AM »
A Wookie Custom is what you wear when typing and listening to your voice mail. grin

Typo Police=> police
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 06:19:31 AM »
What's funny is that I almost put in "Wookie customer" while mocking your typo.

That gets into stuff I don't even understand.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 06:19:50 AM »
No and here's why:
1.  I hate Cheetoes.

And you don't wear a periwig either, Mr El Tejon.

Tories are always the last to know.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 06:25:09 AM »
If I'm not mistaken we could just make our own state much easier. All we have to do is have 10,000 people right?
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 06:28:05 AM »
You go first.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 06:28:15 AM »
"A Wookie Custom is what you wear when typing and listening to your voice mail."

Hum...

Let me fix that for you.

A Wookie Custom is what you wear when typing and listening to your voice mail the voices in your head.

There. That's much better.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 06:32:08 AM »
Not appropriate.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 07:38:17 AM »
it's a fantasy

Just like the USSR breaking up  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 08:11:46 AM »
it's a fantasy

When things get as bad here as they were in the USSR, then it'll become plausible.  Until then, fantasy.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 08:14:30 AM »
I have given this idea some thought. It might eventually come down to some kind of breakup if thats what it takes to get the size of government under control.

It seems to me there are about 6 or 7 states or groupings of states that are large enough and diverse enough to be self sustaining, have similar cultures, and sea port access.

CA, NY, FL and TX would be obvious states to build new countries around.

It would not surprise me at all if the western provinces of Canada decided at some point they did not want to be part of Canada any more.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 08:22:10 AM »
Heck no!  My state is adjacent to Canada, and all the Detroiters would want to join up with them!

Seriously though, absolutely not, and not because I value the federal government more than the state government, but because I value the federal system, even as it stands today, and would prefer to have that multi-tiered government.  For one thing, it can slow down the process of a single, tragic event leading to bizarre and awful sweeping legislation.  The emotional boundaries of statehood are, imho, an important factor in protecting us from things like England's and Australia's handgun/semi-auto bans. 

And yes, there are a bazillion holes in this argument, like the Patriot Act, and the very broad federal powers currently in place.  I still think the principle works to a degree, and I like it.  Incidentally, I also really, really like having complete freedom to travel within the US.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 08:24:47 AM »
it's a fantasy

When things get as bad here as they were in the USSR, then it'll become plausible.  Until then, fantasy.

I agree. Where I think we disagree is whether or not we will reach a "badness level" similar to the USSR's. I think it's possible.

"That can't happen HERE!" is the bedrock belief of every fallen empire. When what makes America great is being lost more and more every day, why should we have such faith that we will remain as we have been?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 09:09:24 AM »
it's a fantasy

Okay - well, in a year or two, then Wink

Personally, I think the breaking point will be when the fed.gov totally screws up the economy, squanders our resources on hopeless and foolish foreign wars, and spends itself into oblivion.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 09:51:43 AM »
if they federal government is breaking the law, i would rather set it right then succeed. it is, in part, my country too, after all.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 09:56:40 AM »
For those who don't get the Wookie Cotume reference, please see Headless Thompson Gunner's avatar.

rolleyes
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.