Author Topic: The Myth of a Toss-Up Election  (Read 8686 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
The Myth of a Toss-Up Election
« on: July 25, 2008, 04:53:19 AM »
The Myth of a Toss-Up Election

A Commentary By Alan Abramowitz, Thomas E. Mann, and Larry J. Sabato
Friday, July 25, 2008

"Too close to call." "Within the margin of error." "A statistical dead heat." If you've been following news coverage of the 2008 presidential election, you're probably familiar with these phrases. Media commentary on the presidential horserace, reflecting the results of a series of new national polls, has strained to make a case for a hotly contested election that is essentially up for grabs.

Signs of Barack Obama's weaknesses allegedly abound. The huge generic Democratic Party advantage is not reflected in the McCain-Obama pairings in national polls. Why, according to the constant refrain, hasn't Obama put this election away? A large number of Clinton supporters in the primaries refuse to commit to Obama. White working class and senior voters tilt decidedly to McCain. Racial resentment limits Obama's support among these two critical voting blocs. Enthusiasm among young voters and African-Americans, two groups strongly attracted to Obama, is waning. Blah, blah, blah.

While no election outcome is guaranteed and McCain's prospects could improve over the next three and a half months, virtually all of the evidence that we have reviewed--historical patterns, structural features of this election cycle, and national and state polls conducted over the last several months--point to a comfortable Obama/Democratic party victory in November. Trumpeting this race as a toss-up, almost certain to produce another nail-biter finish, distorts the evidence and does a disservice to readers and viewers who rely upon such punditry. Again, maybe conditions will change in McCain's favor, and if they do, they should also be accurately described by the media. But current data do not justify calling this election a toss-up.

Consider the following.

Except for a few days when the Gallup and Rasmussen tracking polls showed a tie, Barack Obama has led John McCain in every national poll in the past two months. Obama's average margin has consistently been in the 4-6 point range during this time. By contrast, the polls in 2000 and 2004 showed much more variation over time. State polling results have also consistently given Obama the advantage. According to realclearpolitics.com, Obama is currently leading in 26 states and the District of Columbia with a total of 322 electoral votes; McCain is currently leading in 24 states with a total of 216 electoral votes. Obama is leading in every state carried by John Kerry in 2004 along with six states carried by George Bush: Iowa, New Mexico, Ohio, Indiana, Nevada and Colorado. A seventh Bush state, Virginia, is tied.

Obama is leading in 11 of the 12 swing states that were decided by a margin of five points or less in 2004 including five of the six that were carried by George Bush. And while Obama has a comfortable lead in every state that John Kerry won by a margin of more than five points in 2004, McCain is in a difficult battle in a number of states that Bush carried by a margin of more than five points including such solidly red states as Indiana, Montana, North Dakota, Virginia, and North Carolina.

And remember these June and July polls may well understate Obama's eventual margin. Ronald Reagan did not capitalize on the huge structural advantage Republicans enjoyed in 1980 until after the party conventions and presidential debate. It took a while and a sufficient level of comfort with the challenger for anti-Carter votes to translate into support for Reagan. If Obama's performance over the last eighteen months is any guide, a similar pattern could unfold in 2008.

Aside from the horserace results, there is evidence of a growing Democratic party advantage in the electorate. A recent analysis by Rhodes Cook of voter registration data in 29 states and the District of Columbia that permit registration by party shows that since November of 2004, Democratic registration has increased by almost 700,000 while Republican registration has declined by almost one million.

Democrats now enjoy a substantial lead over Republicans in voter identification. According to the Gallup Poll, the two parties have gone from near parity four years ago to a 12 point Democratic advantage in the first half of 2008. And polling data continue to show that Democrats are more satisfied with their party's nominee than Republicans voters and more highly motivated to vote. While Republicans normally benefit from higher turnout among their supporters, that may not be the case this year.

In order to defeat Barack Obama, John McCain will have to convince a lot of currently disgruntled Republicans to turn out and vote for him. Yet mobilizing the Republican base, a strategy employed successfully by Karl Rove in 2002 and 2004, won't be enough for McCain to win in 2008. He'll also have to convince a majority of independents and a substantial number of Democrats to vote for him. That's a task that proved too difficult even for Rove in the 2006 midterm election and it may be still more difficult in 2008. That's because since 2006 the political environment has gone from bad to worse for Republicans.

It is no exaggeration to say that the political environment this year is one of the worst for a party in the White House in the past sixty years. You have to go all the way back to 1952 to find an election involving the combination of an unpopular president, an unpopular war, and an economy teetering on the brink of recession. 1952 was also the last time the party in power wasn't represented by either the incumbent president or the incumbent vice-president. But the fact that Democrat Harry Truman wasn't on the ballot didn't stop Republican Dwight Eisenhower from inflicting a crushing defeat on Truman's would-be successor, Adlai Stevenson.

Barack Obama is not a national hero like Dwight Eisenhower, and George Bush is no Harry Truman. But if history is any guide, and absent a dramatic change in election fundamentals or an utter collapse of the Obama candidacy, John McCain is likely to suffer the same fate as Adlai Stevenson.

Dr. Alan Abramowitz is the Alben W. Barkley Professor of Political Science at Emory University, and the author of Voice of the People: Elections and Voting Behavior in the United States.

Larry J. Sabato is the director of the Center for Politics at the University of Virginia.

homas Mann is a senior fellow at The Brookings Institution.

Rasmussen Reports is an electronic publishing firm specializing in the collection, publication, and distribution of public opinion polling information.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: The Myth of a Toss-Up Election
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:10:34 AM »
Thanks, Micro. In my mind, I know Obama will win. My heart hasn't accepted it yet, though. Just isn't nice to read this first thing. A bit like being slapped across the face with a trout. Puts me off my feed, it does....
Hi.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 05:16:08 AM »
It's not lost yet. NOBODY at my office, and I mean nobody is voting for him. They don't trust him, they don't like him. Even the secretaries that were for Hillary can be overheard talking about him in negative terms, "taxes" and "I just don't trust him, there's something I don't like".

Keep fighting, or he WILL win. Keep fighting, dammit! Do you have McCain stuff out? Are you talking to people in facts about what Obama would do, what he has said? Are you helping poke holes in the rockstar-addled fog people have about him, to make them think?

If not, WHY NOT?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 05:20:15 AM »
My civilian boss is a Democrat and has told me that Obama scares him.  He is voting McCain.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:21:58 AM »
I think people are also forgetting that it's a DEM congress that has one of the lowest approval ratings in history.

If they keep blocking drilling and whining about wind and solar for a few more months, I think people will be at the "pitchforks and torches" stage.

Also? Obama's lead actually went DOWN after the hyperbole in Berlin. I think more and more people were actually frightened by the level of "take over the world" ambition he demonstrated before a foreign crowd of hundreds of thousands in a foreign country. I think that really hurt him in the midwest and deep south. Sure hurt him among people I know here.

Some analysts have said that his speech in Berlin might literally have cost him Ohio permanently. And I agree.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 05:36:07 AM »
Some analysts have said that his speech in Berlin might literally have cost him Ohio permanently. And I agree.

Maybe, hopefully this is true.  People have a very short memory, and you can bet on the MSM never commenting on this again (or any of his other gaffes, for that matter). 

Also don't count McCain out yet, he has his fair share of stupid comments as well and more to come.  You can also bet that the MSM will repeat them over and over again.

Even the secretaries that were for Hillary can be overheard talking about him in negative terms, "taxes" and "I just don't trust him, there's something I don't like".

Just out of curiousity, what is so different between the two?  I have heard other Hillary supporters say they won't vote for Obama.  There really is very little difference between the two, even policy-wise.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 05:46:33 AM »

.... just when I wasn't going to go through the trouble of an absentee ballot because it had already been called a solid blue and not a swing state. 

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 06:42:11 AM »
Although the growth in the population of the "pods" represents a grave long-term problem for the preservation of this Republic, I think McCain can still win this one IF he drops "respect" for the warrior mode needed to take Obama down.  If he can lay out, in simple but dramatic terms, what American life will be like under Obama and what this means for our future, enough Americans will respond to give him the victory, even today, even with the media blowing strongly for BHO.  But this means McCain will have to act like the maverick he claims to be and not another checked-pants Republic and be willing to scare Americans straight. I don't know if the man wants it badly enough, cares enough to do this.  He's 71, a compromiser, and very, very rich, not exactly the typical credentials of a fervid resistance fighter.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »
According to realclearpolitics.com, Obama is currently leading in 26 states and the District of Columbia with a total of 322 electoral votes; McCain is currently leading in 24 states with a total of 216 electoral votes.

RCP isn't exactly noted for accuracy, unbiased nature, or "refraining from being a paid shrill".

That said, I completely agree with most of the other posters.  I'm a registered Democrat, and the guy scares the ever livin' hell out of me.  I never liked the guy to behind with, but the brownshirt remarks combined with the quasi religious nature of his campaign....  Any time a politician starts thinking they're a messiah, run for the hills.

Voting for McCain is like chewing glass.  But Obama would be swallowing the glass.  Either way, you're screwed.  Just a question of how much.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 07:01:40 AM »
I feel like Obama cares more about the UN and Europe than he does about doing anything to honestly improve the US. A lot of people my age have expressed similar (and disheartening) feelings.

Personally, I got pretty freaked out when one of the headlines I read on Yahoo.com was quoting Obama saying he promises to change the world.  undecided

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 07:26:19 AM »
Well, you've got to remember, as my liberal friends never cease to remind me, that we're not the only country on this planet and we're not all that great or special, we must stop being so arrogant and telling everyone else how to live, and if that means bringing the U.S. lower while raising others, so be it.

Obama is running for President of Everywhere BUT the U.S.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 07:46:58 AM »
If they want someone telling everyone else how to live, Obama is their man.  I think if he does win, he will be constantly looking for that historic legacy issue he can jump onto.  Not a good think for a President IMO. 

Kerry was ahead by a good margin until the swift boat stuff came out.  There is still a LOT of time between now and November.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 08:55:55 AM »
It appears to me that Obama is campaigning for McCain right now  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 10:09:51 AM »
some white folks lack the integrity to admit to a poll that they won't vote for obama
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 12:13:58 PM »
some white folks lack the integrity to admit to a poll that they won't vote for obama

Well, I was going to vote for him until I figured out that he wasn't really Irish Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 12:38:37 PM »

Well, I was going to vote for him until I figured out that he wasn't really Irish Wink
You mean he's not O'Bama? Huh? Wink

agricola

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
If they want someone telling everyone else how to live, Obama is their man.  I think if he does win, he will be constantly looking for that historic legacy issue he can jump onto.  Not a good think for a President IMO. 

Kerry was ahead by a good margin until the swift boat stuff came out.  There is still a LOT of time between now and November.

The problem is now that Kerry and Bush were just politicians - Obama is a story, and the media loves those.  I do not know if any of you have heard of the British journalist Peter Oborne, but he has written several books about how the "political class" and its allies in the media over here in the UK have generated an entirely false politics (principally via "New Labour"), full of "meaning" rather than actual substance, and replete with  lies, corruption and dishonesty.  

Obama and his followers (which in itself is deeply concerning - a campaign which seeks to portray its candidate on the one hand using Soviet-style imagery, and on the other religious-style) share many of the same traits with New Labour - endless repetitive mantra over change, weekly position-changes, support from Rupert Murdoch, dodgy political funding etc.  I just hope your electorate is smarter than ours was in 1997.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »
He is leading by 6% now.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
I think that this board is obviously not a representative sample of American politics, and that the OP article is quite accurate.

There is a mountain of hard evidence to back Abramowitz's point-much of it cited in the article.

I know a gas station attendant and I met a secretary who don't like Obama too.  But then again I meet even more people who support Ron Paul-recalling the people you meet is not a good way of judging the outcome of an election.

Anyone who thinks Obama is scaring most democrats or that the population of America is mostly afraid of his fascism is living in a fantasy world.  Obama is no more fascist than George Bush or John McCain or Bill Clinton...all three have already enjoyed incredibly successful political careers, and that monumental shift away from fascist government is not going to come this election.  Might be nice if it did, but that is a fantasy, not reality.

Conservative media have done an excellent job of portraying the results of this election as in question, but the facts are going to be different come November.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »
...bravo, SS nails it. Unless something happens between now and November, I just see no hope.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »
Obama is no more fascist than George Bush or John McCain or Bill Clinton...all three have already enjoyed incredibly successful political careers, and that monumental shift away from fascist government is not going to come this election.  Might be nice if it did, but that is a fantasy, not reality.

Obama is an empty suit, a blank speech-reader whose misguided leftist idealism is the ultimate in ENABLING fascism. He's Jimmeh Carter X100. He would have us be ASHAMED to be American, and try to guide us into being another bland Eurozone.

I'm well aware you're likely to vote for him, as I strongly suspect that suits you and your political leanings. But it is not reality. And I will fight to prevent it by informing as many people as I can.

Because I consider him an enemy of the state, someone who stands against everything, everything I value that makes America what it was, what it is, and what the founding fathers intended it to be. His ideals make a mockery of hard work, they discount the sacrifices of the armed forces, and they utterly undermine the very principles of the "American Dream"...Work hard, and someday you may be wealthy. His version is "Why work hard? The government will take from the rich and give to you." And he WILL work tirelessly with Pelosi and company to bring about gun registration, a national ban on CCW, and the rest of that horrific garbage.

Anyone who concedes, who folds their cards and walks away from the table now, you might as well just vote for him, too, Because that's what you'll be doing.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 04:25:11 PM »
Obama is no more fascist than George Bush or John McCain or Bill Clinton...all three have already enjoyed incredibly successful political careers, and that monumental shift away from fascist government is not going to come this election.  Might be nice if it did, but that is a fantasy, not reality.

Obama is an empty suit, a blank speech-reader whose misguided leftist idealism is the ultimate in ENABLING fascism. He's Jimmeh Carter X100. He would have us be ASHAMED to be American, and try to guide us into being another bland Eurozone.

I'm well aware you're likely to vote for him, as I strongly suspect that suits you and your political leanings. But it is not reality. And I will fight to prevent it by informing as many people as I can.

1. I don't think your characterization of Obama, at least relative to the other candidates, is even remotely accurate.  Of course, I don't think accuracy is your aim-I think you're more interested in saying whatever needs to be said to defeat Obama, which in the end is a disastrous political strategy.

2.  I'm not likely to vote for Obama, and my political leanings incline me to recognize that voting for Obama or McCain is essentially voting for either of two identical evils, not the lesser of any.

3.  You can only inform people if you try hard to give an honest evaluation, and to give facts.  Whenever you are challenged on support for McCain or criticism for Obama, your only answer is "But DO YOU WANT OBAMA TO WIN?"-when the sole purpose and shaping influence of your statements is to achieve a political result, it's called "propganda", not "information."

And whether it be propaganda or information-hyperbole like "he's an enemy of the state! He's the baby from the Omen grown past 6 feet in height!" only serves to discredit the message even further.  Conspiracy theories about Obama and calling him the political anti-Christ actually helps Obama because people rightly recognize that hyperbole usually accompanies a serious deficit in realistically persuasive facts or arguments.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 05:51:20 PM »
O'Bama may well win but first things first.  He has to secure the nomination.  The Clintons are capable of just about anything in their quest for power.  I may be cynical but I still have a hard time believing Hillary would just walk away from a lifetime drive for power.  Combining O'Bama's past with the Clinton's investigative prowess and you've got potential drama in Denver.  I find it more than interesting the question of O'bama's birth certificate will periodically bubble to the surface then sink for a while.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »
I find it more than interesting the question of O'bama's birth certificate will periodically bubble to the surface then sink for a while.

This is the sort of thing that no one whose vote is in play would ever consider, nor is there any room for a reasonable disagreement, so I can understand why the media and the candidates only periodically address it.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 10:12:43 PM »
Help me out here. 

The birth certificate flap goes directly to the heart of his eligibility to be president.  Why would questioning voters not question the assertion or why would there not be room for reasonable disagreement?  I don't see the need to shut down discussion of an honest question in a reasonable manner.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon