Author Topic: Fight over open carry gun policy in Texa  (Read 20505 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Fight over open carry gun policy in Texa
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:38:03 PM »
Fight over open carry gun policy in Texas

Imagine walking down the street and next to someone with a gun strapped to their hip. It's an image a group of Texans are hoping to turn into reality and they're gaining support by the thousands every day.

This is a basic right, said former state Legislator, Suzanna Hupp.

In Texas you can fire a gun, you can buy a gun, and you can walk around with a gun, but only if you have a concealed carry permit and the gun is out of sight.

I feel safer. My home should it be breached, I can take care of it. Should somebody try to take my car, they'll be taken care of too. That's the way it should be, said gun owner Charles Minter.

However, thats not how it always works.

Criminals by their very definition ignore the laws, said Hupp.

In 1991 a gunman drove his truck into a Luby's restaurant in Killeen, TX. He got out and opened fire.

That was before we were allowed to carry in the state of Texas, said Hupp.

Hupp was there with her parents.

He killed 23 people, including my parents. So I've been fairly angry since that time, said Hupp.

In 1991 Texas didn't allow people to carry a gun.

The only thing the regulations did was prevent people like me from being able to protect myself and my family. That's the only thing gun laws and gun control do. They prevent good people from protecting themselves and their families, said Hupp.

Hupp helped pass the current concealed carry law in the mid 90's.

It wasn't blood and chaos in the streets when we enacted the concealed carry, said Hupp.

Now she wants more.

We should allow people to carry. That means in their pocket, in their purse, on their forehead, on their hip. I don't care how they carry. If they can legally own a gun I think they should be able to carry it in public, said Hupp.

She's not alone. An open carry petition online is gaining popularity by the thousands every day. More than 21,000 people have already
signed the petition online.

I couldn't have foreseen all the support that I've gained, said petition creator, Ian McCarthy.
McCarthy posted the online petition in October last year.

In Texas we're proud of all of our rights especially when it comes to gun rights, said McCarthy.

McCarthy's petition will likely go to state lawmakers in the next session along with a proposal to enact an open carry policy in Texas.

We're hoping for unlicensed, open carry, said McCarthy.

The group is asking for a open carry law like what's already seen in at least ten states in the U.S. Those ten states allow open carry without a license. Another 12 states allow open carry but with a license.

Texas is just one of six states on record that completely bans open carry. However, to some the idea of seeing people with guns, doesn't sit well. Even some gun owners are worried an open carry policy could lead to more crime.

It might just turn into the wild, wild west, said Minter.
Those Wild West images where it seemed like everyone had a gun.

Guns in Texas though are pretty much kept to the range.

I come here to shoot. I don't carry around on the street, said gun owner, Steven Cui.
Cui is one of many gun owners that think owning a firearm is a privilege, not a right.
If it's open then everybody's going to be walking around with a gun now. I think it's only for the cops and people that are licensed, said gun owner, Kyle Ramirez.
Others worry open carry will get out of hand.
You don't want to use a gun just because somebody called you or your mother a bad name. You only want to use a gun when you're in fear for your life, said gun owner, and owner of the Astro Shooting Range in Florence, TX, L.E. Williams.
People don't know what they're doing, added firearms trainer Mike Nellis.
Nellis is a former state officer and now is a firearms trainer for the Texas Department of Public Safety. He supports gun rights; he even had a gun strapped to his belt the entire time we talked, but you couldn't tell by looking at him that he was armed. Nellis says that's the advantage of concealed carry.
I think if it's going to require having a license and have requirements and there's no difference between that and a concealed carry law you might as well go to a concealed carry license, said Nellis.
However, for Hupp and the thousands of others who have signed the online open carry petition, the issue boils down to one thing: our Bill of Rights.
I believe that they will pass it. This time around I think that it will pass, said Hupp.
State lawmakers are not yet saying how they will vote on the issue

http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/072408kvueopencarry-sb.8aaac2f3.html#
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Fight over open carry gun policy in Texa
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:09:12 AM »
I'm for it.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:21:50 AM »
People don't know what they're doing, added firearms trainer Mike Nellis.

If by "people" you mean "police officers", then I agree.

Don't apply the standards of fail that you are used to in law enforcement to the population as a whole.  We are far better trained than cops.

I think if it's going to require having a license and have requirements and there's no difference between that and a concealed carry law you might as well go to a concealed carry license, said Nellis.

That sentence is so tortured it could only come from police brass.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as I know the media screws things up.

All Texicanos want is to carry their pistols without concealing it.  That's it.  We've been doing it up here since 1816.  Where's the problem?

It's bloody hot down there and I absolutely hated having to cover up when it was 90 in April.  Bleh.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:41:19 AM »

Another extremely intelligent Chicken Little heard from.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:53:37 AM »
Imagine walking down the street and next to someone with a gun strapped to their hip.

Can we start teaching journalists how to write a coherent sentence, or is that out of the question? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 05:00:48 AM »

Another extremely intelligent Chicken Little heard from.

According to any serious research, the West was far safer and nicer than any big modern city.

Texas turning into the Wild West would be awesome.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:06:27 AM »
Imagine walking down the street and next to someone with a gun strapped to their hip.

You mean like a cop? rolleyes

While I think OC is a bit silly in cities, it is everyone's right, and I'm all for it because it provides the bad guys targets to shoot at while I'd be finding hard cover. People who OC are my chaff and flares. grin

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 05:37:18 AM »
Mane, maybe, but it's just soooo hot down there.  Have I mentioned how bleeding hot it is there?

I know Floriduh was hot too, but something about seeing 90 in April made me a huge proponent of open carry for Tejas. grin
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 05:55:10 AM »
Mane, maybe, but it's just soooo hot down there.  Have I mentioned how bleeding hot it is there?

I know Floriduh was hot too, but something about seeing 90 in April made me a huge proponent of open carry for Tejas. grin

The Cuban shirt has always been an excellent cover garment in hot weather. smiley

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 06:04:36 AM »

The Cuban shirt has always been an excellent cover garment in hot weather. smiley

Depends what you want to carry, no?  grin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 07:55:28 AM »
Except that they look silly.  But I've been investing in a lot of a-shirts and short-sleeve button-downs for the day when I finally get my carry permit.  It's pretty hot here in the St. Louis delta, as well. 

I'm hoping the ironic thrift store t-shirts are good cover, too.  People will be so busy puzzling over the Wheelchair Bowling graphic, or the "I had a ski-riffic time at Jason's Bar Mitzvah," they'll never notice a bulge at my hip.   laugh

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 09:17:14 AM »
Open carry would solve the problem of "printing" when carrying concealed......chris3

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 09:43:31 AM »

Got in the car this morning in DFW at 0700 and it was already 80.  We might set a record at 105 today.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 10:15:44 AM »

Depends what you want to carry, no?  grin
I have a IWB holster for my P220 that I can wear with shorts and a T-shirt as long as the T-shirt goes below the waist.  I normally wear an undershirt for comfort though.  Open carry would be nice since I wouldn't have to worry about printing or the shirt blowing up.  An OWB holster would be more comfortable though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Serena

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 10:20:46 AM »
What's to fight about?  Open carry just makes sense.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2008, 10:28:28 AM »
Open carry would be nice since I wouldn't have to worry about printing or the shirt blowing up.

Exploding shirts generally tend to cause a commotion in those about you, yes.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2008, 11:08:16 AM »

Can we start teaching journalists how to write a coherent sentence, or is that out of the question? 
When I shot IPSC, I was often next to many people with guns strapped to their hips. never felt a qualm about it at all.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 11:17:37 AM »
Yeah, but as a gun nut, you're one of those crazy people.  How would normal people feel about it?     rolleyes

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 12:58:55 PM »

When I shot IPSC, I was often next to many people with guns strapped to their hips. never felt a qualm about it at all.

I always feel better when surrounded by many people with guns strapped to their hips.....esp. when I'm one of them....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
Yeah, but as a gun nut, you're one of those crazy people.  How would normal people feel about it?     rolleyes
Dammit, it's bitter and clingy.  We have guns because we're bitter and clingy.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »
I am sorry to have offended those of your particular lifestyle.  To all members of the bitter and clingy community, I wish to express my most humble apologies. 

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 03:17:44 PM »
They should take a look at Arizona.  They open carry there and there isn't blood on the streets.

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »
If you all want it, maybe you'd best get it codified in your state laws.  Here in Pennsylvania, it isn't illegal because it isn't expressly forbidden in state law.  Even so, an awful lot of cops have a tendency to get overexcited at the sight of open carry.  This results in unpleasantry all around.  The carrier, absent any real wrongdoing, prevails; but that doesn't undo the hassle.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »

You mean like a cop? rolleyes

While I think OC is a bit silly in cities, it is everyone's right, and I'm all for it because it provides the bad guys targets to shoot at while I'd be finding hard cover. People who OC are my chaff and flares. grin

I think the real issue with open carry in TX has more to do with doing away with the criminal liabilities for exposing a firearm even when it's done accidentally than it does with carrying openly.

However, open carry is more practical when engaging in outdoor activities.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 06:20:20 PM »
If you all want it, maybe you'd best get it codified in your state laws.  Here in Pennsylvania, it isn't illegal because it isn't expressly forbidden in state law.  Even so, an awful lot of cops have a tendency to get overexcited at the sight of open carry.  This results in unpleasantry all around.  The carrier, absent any real wrongdoing, prevails; but that doesn't undo the hassle.

I think the solution to this is not legislation. If anything, if more people carried openly, everybody would get slowly used to a more pro-gun culture. In fact I would argue that's one of the big strengths of OC.