Author Topic: Taco Recipes  (Read 5315 times)

Taco Recipes
« on: March 09, 2005, 02:38:56 PM »
Post Taco recipes please.

Ground Beef, Ground Beef mixed with venison, venison....

Seasonings, either store bought or homemade.

Hard or Soft , store bought or homemade. Topping , side dishes "the whole enchilada" if you will.

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
Taco Recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 02:46:51 PM »
venision, grind it real fine...

i like the taco bell seasoning, i use chunky salsa instead of veggies and taco sauce, little sour cream and cheese....

for when i'm in the mood, add your favorite hot sauce to the meat and overcook it...  don't ask why, just try it...

Taco Recipes
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:09:22 PM »
I normally use Willams Seasoning, Lawry's is the second choice. If just beef, I get the Ground Round ground for chili.

Fresh 'maters, extra sharp cheese required basics. I may "spruce" it up with yellow peppers, onions, guacomole ( sp?) ( that green stuff that starts with a "G" and used as a dip )  Wink , hot pepperjack cheese...sour cream...

Humm, I have started to prefer to used Frito Scoops  to eat this with instead of hard taco shells.  They usually break and gonna dip and use a finger pusher anyway.

Pace Picante sauce is used both on the Taco and as a Dip. Might be Cheese Dip and that "G" dip too.

Ice Tea ,or RC to drink.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Taco Recipes
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 05:14:13 PM »
I find it difficult and annoying to eat hard tacos.

What's the difference between a soft taco, and say, an enchilada?
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Taco Recipes
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 05:21:08 PM »
"Pace Picante sauce is used both on the Taco and as a Dip."

Steve, you should know that the salsa expert is me.  Forget that "Texas" salsa that is mostly tomatoes.  This is the only salsa that I would recommend besides Sandy's:

http://www.mirasolchile.com/book.htm  

BTW, Sandy babysitted Carl Musso when he was just a sprout.

Try this salsa, really.

"Growers claim that Pueblo's hot days, cool nights and unique soil create ideal chile-growing conditions. From the first of August until mid-October, roadside farm stands along a ten-mile stretch of Business Hwy. 50 east of Pueblo brim with fresh chilies."

Wildalaska

• friend
Taco Recipes
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 09:59:40 PM »
Whole wheat large soft burrito shell
Halibut Chunks, lightly grilled seasoned with lime butter
A touch of guac, pico con gallo, lettuce and cheese
Roll and eat...yummy

WildhadporkandtofustirfryfordinnerAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

DigMe

Taco Recipes
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 09:45:12 AM »
Crispy Shrimp Tacos with cilantro lime sauce is one of my favorite things I make.  I cook a lot "gourmet style" type stuff but this is still my favorite.

I just fry some shrimp in some kind of spicy cornmeal batter or maybe some beer batter.  I use small to medium sized shrimp.  I usually go to HEB grocery store and buy some southwestern tortillas but your favorite tortillas will do.  I lay a bed ripped up Boston Lettuce in the tortilla and some tomatoes.  Then I put on the shrimp and top with some queso fresco cheese and some creamy cilantro lime sauce.  I'll post a sauce recipe below.  For my sauce I get the HEB brand Creamy Cilantro Cotija Dressing (it's in the refrigerated section near produce with their "Texas Twists" dressings) and mix in fresh lime juice just because it's quick and easy.  If you aren't fortunate enough to live near an HEB Grocery Store then here's a recipe you can try for the sauce:

Creamy Cilantro-Lime Sauce:

1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup milk
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 large garlic cloves -- minced

These tacos are delicious and everyone that has tried them has raved.

brad cook

Ghostrider66

Taco Recipes
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 09:46:18 AM »
Here goes and I warn you, it's authentic (just like mom makes it)

2 lbs ground beef (medium lean)
1/2 medium onion
1 tomato
1 jalapeno or 2 serrano peppers
2 medium potatos (peeled or not but wash them first)
3 tbsp Knorr/Maggi tomato & chicken bullion (Known as Consomate in Mexico - sometimes tough to find although Sam's carries it here)
1 tbsp New Mexico Hot chili powder (adjust to taste)
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste (not much salt because the bullion has plenty)
Water

Chop all of the veggies to about half inch cubes or so.
Brown and drain the meat.
Put back on heat.
Add spices and veggies (mix thoroughly).
Cover with water (just enough to cover everything though).
Simmer over low heat until the potatos are done (if liquid starts to run short before the potatoes are done just add a little more water).

You can add a lot of other things to this dish such as squash, etc.  Have fun and experiment with it.

Cheers!
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.

12 Volt Man

Taco Recipes
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 10:03:43 AM »
You will have to trust me on this one.  I once lived with a Mexican guy from the Yucatan Peninsula.  He taught me how to make some a dish that at first sounds very strange.  I now make this quite often.

French Fry Tacos.

First off you have to make a good homemade salsa.  I really don't have amounts of ingredients you will have to try it a few times to see what you like.
I use:

Roma Tomatoes
White Onions
Surrano Peppers (toasted in a pan or on the Barbeque grill)
Fresh Cilantro (take time to pick the leaves off the stems)
Garlick  -I use a lot (again I toast it in a pan or on the Barbeque grill)
Juice from a whole lemon
Salt

You can take the time to chop it all up by hand.  If I am lazy, I use a food processor.

Then....

Take whole potatoes and cut them into french fry like pieces.
Add a little oil to a frying pan and cook them up.

Serve on soft corn tortillas with your homemade salsa.  I heat the tortillas in a pan and as I am doing this I spray a little water on them to keep them soft.