Author Topic: House Dems turn out the lights but GOP keeps talking  (Read 7200 times)

Desertdog

• friends
House Dems turn out the lights but GOP keeps talking
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:28:02 AM »
I just hope we can vote a lot of these commies out of office.  That is the only way we can get control back.  McCain looks better all the time.

House Dems turn out the lights but GOP keeps talking
http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0808/House_Dems_turn_out_out_the_light_but_GOP_keep_talking.html?showall

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and the Democrats adjourned the House and turned off the lights and killed the microphones, but Republicans are still on the floor talking gas prices.

Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) and other GOP leaders opposed the motion to adjourn the House, arguing that Pelosi's refusal to schedule a vote allowing offshore drilling is hurting the American economy. They have refused to leave the floor after the adjournment motion passed at 11:23 a.m., and they are busy bashing Pelosi and her fellow Democrats for leaving town for the August recess.

At one point, the lights went off in the House and the microphones were turned off in the chamber, meaning Republicans were talking in the dark. But as Rep. John Shadegg (R-Ariz..) was speaking, the lights went back on and the microphones were turned on shortly afterward.

But C-SPAN, which has no control over the cameras in the chamber, has stopped broadcasting the House floor, meaning no one was witnessing this except the assembled Republicans, their aides, and one Democrat, Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio), who has now left.

Only about a half-dozen Republicans were on the floor when this began, but the crowd has grown to about 20, according to Patrick O'Connor.

See Also
McCain's camp suffers from a paper gap
Race issue moves to center of campaign

"This is the people's House," said Rep. Thaddeus McCotter (R-Mich.). "This is not Pelosi's politiburo."

Democratic aides were furious at the GOP stunt, and reporters were kicked out of the Speaker's Lobby, the space next to the House floor where they normally interview lawmakers.

"You're not covering this, are you?" complained one senior Democratic aide. Another called the Republicans "morons" for staying on the floor.

Update: The Capitol Police are now trying to kick reporters out of the press gallery above the floor, meaning we can't watch the Republicans anymore. But Minority Whip Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) is now in the gallery talking to reporters, so the cops have held off for a minute. Clearly, Democrats don't want Republicans getting any press for this episode. GOP leaders are trying to find other Republicans to rotate in for Blunt so reporters aren't kicked out.

Update 2: This message was sent out by Blunt's office:

"Although this Democrat majority just adjourned for the Democrat 5-week vacation, House Republicans are continuing to fight on the House floor. Although the lights, mics and C-SPAN cameras have been turned off, House Republicans are on the floor speaking to the taxpayers in the gallery who, not surprisingly, agree with Republican energy proposals.

"All Republicans who are in town are encouraged to come to the House floor."

Update 3: Democrats just turned out the lights again. Republicans cheered.

Update 4: Republican leaders just sent out a notice looking for a bullhorn, and leadership aides are trying to corral all the members who are still in town to come speak on the floor and sustain this one-sided debate.

Also, Republicans can thank Shadegg for turning on the microphones the first time. Apparently, the fiesty Arizona conservative started typing random codes into the chamber's public address system and accidentally typed the correct code, allowing Republicans brief access to the microphone before it was turned off again.

"I love this," Shadegg told reporters up in the press gallery afterward. "Congress can be so boring. ... This is a kick."

Update 4: The scene on the floor is kind of crazy. Normally, members are not allowed to speak directly to the visitor galleries, and visitors are prohibited from cheering. But in this case, the members are walking up and down on the floor during their speeches, standing on chairs. The visitors are cheering loudly. Some members even brought in visitors, who are now sitting on the House floor in the seats normally filled by lawmakers, cheering and clapping. Very funny.

Democrats faced a choice here: Should they leave the cameras on and let Republicans rip Pelosi & Co. on C-SPAN, or should they leave the cameras off and let the Republicans have their "tantrum," as one Democratic aide characterized it, with the cameras off? So the cameras are off, but Republicans, and the crowd, are clearly enjoying the scene.

Update 5: Republicans are literally hugging each other on the House floor. Rep. Don Manzullo (R-Ill.), not normally known as a distinguished orator, just gave a rousing speech, accusing Democrats of stifling dissent. He referenced President John Quincy Adams, who returned as a House member after being defeated in his bid for presidential reelection. Waving his arms and yelling, Manzullo brought the crowd (including a lot of staff shipped in by GOP leaders to fill up the place), and he left the floor to hugs from his colleagues. You don't see that up here every day.

Update 6: Rep Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) just pretended to be a Democrat. He stood on the other side  of the chamber and listed all of the GOP bills that the Dems killed.

He then said, "I am a Democrat, and here is my energy plan" and he held up a picture of an old VW Bug with a sail attached to it. He paraded around the House floor with the sign while the crowd cheered.

Regolith

• friend
Re: House Dems turn out the lights but GOP keeps talking
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »
Heh.  Funny stuff.  Too bad they don't have enough people for a quorum.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 11:59:29 AM »
Interesting.  Back when the Dems were the minority, they wren't particularly reluctant to pull stunts like that.  But now that it's the other side doing it, now they're outraged?  Now they're tying to turn off the lights and force the press out?

Pathetic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 02:20:00 PM »
I don't have cable, but let me guess.  Wall-to-wall coverage of the underdogs' courageous stand against the majority, right?  I'll just hold my breath now. 

Temporarily, one of our local talk shows is being hosted by a former Repub. Committee chair, and a former Dem. Committee chair.  The Dem's take on this was that the republicans were just trying to distract Americans, so they wouldn't have to discuss "the real issues."   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 03:49:09 PM »
Since when did Nancy Pelosi become Queen Absolute?

I was under the impression we still had some of the Republic left.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 06:18:07 PM »
The Democrats are behaving like petulant children, and the Republicans are behaving like the Founding Fathers. I can easily say who I am impressed by.

The Arizona representative hacked the PA system to get it to turn the mike back on. That is so freaking awesome. I would buy that guy a beer. cheesy

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 06:25:13 PM »
Fox News is calling it a tea party and has reported that the Republicans opened the House up to mere commoners and ordered piazza. I wonder what Ron Paul is doing right about now? I'm sure he is one of them since he is a Rep. still. UFO Dennis staying is priceless. And they didn't get any of this on camera? Dang it, just when C-SPAN was about to be interesting since the last time Cheney dropped the F-bomb in chamber.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »
Fox News is calling it a tea party and has reported that the Republicans opened the House up to mere commoners and ordered piazza.

Ordered him to do what?  sad

laugh
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 12:02:18 AM »

It's part of having a Democrat majority.

Beat Obama in November or learn to live with it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 12:18:32 AM »

We already know how to live with it-the labels were different, but the dynamics and governing ideology the same for the past 8 years.

I look at McCain and I think:  Who here thinks this guy is going to make the next four years any different from the last eight years?

And the last eight years speak for themselves.  Civil liberties eroded, government spending and waste vastly expanded, two wars entered and working on a third, and prices for basic goods and services skyrocketed without a corresponding wage increase.

Our government is spending more of our money, on projects that yield no benefit to the taxpayers, violating our rights in the process, and we're on the whole a lot more poor than we were eight years ago. 

I'm not voting for anyone who won't acknowledge the role and fault of the political parties, and individual politicians, in achieving this sorry state of affairs.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 03:10:27 AM »

Beating Obama in November won't change the fact Pelosi is speaker.  We need to turn the House back to a Republican majority to take care of sheit.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 03:36:30 AM »
And the last eight years speak for themselves.  Civil liberties eroded, government spending and waste vastly expanded, two wars entered and working on a third, and prices for basic goods and services skyrocketed without a corresponding wage increase.

Yes. But McCain stands for vouchers. Vouchers are our best shot at destroying the system.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 05:16:48 AM »
Beating Obama in November won't change the fact Pelosi is speaker.  We need to turn the House back to a Republican majority to take care of sheit.

A Democrat majority is worse when a Democrat is also President.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 05:30:02 AM »
I won't disagree.  The Republicans need to gain back control of at least one house along with maintaining the White House.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 07:10:28 AM »
We need to turn the House back to a Republican majority to take care of sheit.
We need to get a Repubican super majority in house and senate, as well as president.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 07:52:57 AM »

You mean the last two years of DEM led congress, where oil went from $50/barrel when they came in to the current level?

And the last eight years? Let's see. No new terrorist attacks in the US. The lights are on. There's gas at the gas stations. Food in the stores. You don't need to register your guns. AWB went away. Unemployment is still rather low, not the +10% you'd expect in a recession. Taxes haven't gone up.

Yeah, that's really all bad stuff. We should CHANGE it all, right? Have the oppposite of all those?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 08:28:29 AM »
All I see is a dysfunctional government that increasingly looks like a rogue government with obvious signs of tyrannical behavior.

If this is what we have to look forward to with potentially all-Dem control I think the next few years are going to be a nightmare punctuated with screams.

Frankly, little dictators like Pelosi are sorely straining the patience of the American people.  She is quite full of herself right now, as one would expect a mafia princess to be, but I think the situation is getting very serious.  America isn't kind to megalomaniacs.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 08:45:39 AM »
. No new terrorist attacks in the US. The lights are on. There's gas at the gas stations. Food in the stores

Is this now the only argument you can put forth for the Congress Republicans? That total starvation has not yet set in?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »
. No new terrorist attacks in the US. The lights are on. There's gas at the gas stations. Food in the stores

Is this now the only argument you can put forth for the Congress Republicans? That total starvation has not yet set in?

No, that it's the sort of stability that begs the question of just WHAT Obama and his dem minions want to "change".

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »

No, that it's the sort of stability that begs the question of just WHAT Obama and his dem minions want to "change".

Shootinstudent did not mention Obama anywhere.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 12:14:17 PM »

Yeah, actually I think it's quite clear that Obama's program is only marginally different from McCain's.  The only real differences between the two are on stunt programs: gas tax holiday versus one time credit, vouchers versus faith-based community funding, staged withdrawl versus...unstaged, but still controlled and deliberate withdrawl.

The only controversy is in the stunts, not in the substance.

I'm not voting for either Obama or McCain.

I also reject the "well things are still running!" argument.  I don't think there's any doubt that the states of civil liberties, government expansion, and wealth are much worse now than they were eight years ago.  Just because we're not yet in Zimbabwe isn't a reason to vote for continued bad management.

Imagine this in the free market: You're managing a retail store, and profits decline, the workers screw up everything, and you hired an enormous "loss prevention team" that mostly has not affected the thefts from your store.  When it comes time for performance review, you tell the board: "But hey, we still sell thirty thousand pairs of pants a year!"

Is that a reason to keep someone in charge? I don't think so...
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 12:33:59 PM »
When your business is having trouble, you don't set the store on fire to solve the problem.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 12:36:10 PM »
When your business is having trouble, you don't set the store on fire to solve the problem.

That's right-but when there's a fire, you don't keep the guy who started it on just because it hasn't yet consumed the entire store.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 01:32:42 PM »

That's right-but when there's a fire, you don't keep the guy who started it on just because it hasn't yet consumed the entire store.
You favor, then, kicking out Pelosi, Reid, and that bunch?

(One might think, given some of your past comments, that you were speaking of President Bush, but obviously he is not one of those in the running to "keep", so you are evidently speaking of one or more of that who are trying to be returned to office and/or their current leadership posts.)

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »
How does this have to do with Pelosi?

I mean.

THE DEMOCRATS SUCK.

Actually.... THE DEMOCRATS REALLY REALLY SUCK.

I'm not even sure if this markup has enough colors for me to highlight how bad the Dems are.

But between 2000-2006 the Republicans have not been significantly better.