Author Topic: Obama does flip-flop on offshore drilling  (Read 2937 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Obama does flip-flop on offshore drilling
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »
I'll bet that if he is elected president the first thing he will do is flop back to no drilling.

Obama does flip-flop on offshore drilling
By MIKE GLOVER - Associated Press Writer
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Headlines/Default.aspx?id=201606

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said Friday he would be willing to support limited additional offshore oil drilling if that's what it takes to enact a comprehensive policy to foster fuel-efficient autos and develop alternate energy sources.

Shifting from his previous opposition to expanded offshore drilling, the Illinois senator told a Florida newspaper he could get behind a compromise with Republicans and oil companies to prevent gridlock over energy.

Republican rival John McCain, who earlier dropped his opposition to offshore drilling, has been criticizing Obama on the stump and in broadcast ads for clinging to his opposition as gasoline prices topped $4 a gallon. Polls indicate these attacks have helped McCain gain ground on Obama.

"My interest is in making sure we've got the kind of comprehensive energy policy that can bring down gas prices," Obama said in an interview with The Palm Beach Post.

"If, in order to get that passed, we have to compromise in terms of a careful, well thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage _ I don't want to be so rigid that we can't get something done."

In Congress, both parties have fought bitterly over energy policy for weeks, with Republicans pressing for more domestic oil drilling and Democrats railing about oil company profits. Despite hundreds of hours of House and Senate floor debate, lawmakers will leave Washington for their five-week summer hiatus this week with an empty tank.

"The Republicans and the oil companies have been really beating the drums on drilling," Obama said in the Post interview. "And so we don't want gridlock. We want to get something done."

longeyes

• friend
Re: Obama does flip-flop on offshore drilling
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »
The goal of zero "environmental damage" is another liberal utopian fantasy.  The Left is obsessed with riskless purity.  Ain't gonna happen.  You decide what something is worth to you and then you assess the risks--and there are always risks. 

The environmentalists do not discuss the risks of abandoning fossil fuel-based industrialism.  After all, who really wants to talk about billions dead?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 01:03:39 PM »
The goal of zero "environmental damage" is another liberal utopian fantasy.  The Left is obsessed with riskless purity.  Ain't gonna happen.  You decide what something is worth to you and then you assess the risks--and there are always risks. 

The environmentalists do not discuss the risks of abandoning fossil fuel-based industrialism.  After all, who really wants to talk about billions dead?

More people need to also point out that OUR drilling rigs are safe. The Chinese rigs being set up off our coast? They couldn't give a flying ___ if they spill all the hell over the place.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
Funny how the libs talk about "protecting the environment," but they're perfectly happy with Middle Eastern countries damaging their environments. That statement, of course, assumes that drilling damages the environment at all.

As for Obo, he's really desperate to take as many issues away from McCain as he can. It's like Clinton in '96 triangulating the Republicans by taking issues like welfare reform as his own.

If Obama keeps this up, the only reason people will have to vote for him is that electing him will be a historical first. Of course, electing a peanut farmer from Georgia was a historical first as well.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 01:20:34 PM »
Long predicted to happen.  Coming out of O'Bama it will be explained as politics rather than a cave.  Now look out for O'Bama's particular twist to the concept of drilling.  I look for an attempt to forge a nationalized drilling program.  Can't have the greedy, evil oil companies do it for purely crass commercial reasons.  No, the American people deserve a change.  Its national lands are to be exploited then the American people should receive the benefit and therefore the American people should do the drilling.  I look for a hard nosed policy play between democrats and Teamster's. 

The smoke and mirrors has just begun.  None of it will simple and straightforward.  O'Bama's objective will be to give the appearance of an active drilling program while doing little as possible and maintain maximum control over the results.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »
Funny how the libs talk about "protecting the environment," but they're perfectly happy with Middle Eastern countries damaging their environments. That statement, of course, assumes that drilling damages the environment at all.

I see it like the recently covered "energy colonialism" in CA.

To be more "green", they shut down a 900MW reactor and replaced it with a 4MW solar array. The resulting power shortfall required them to purchase power from coalfired plants in neighboring states, but that was okay, it was someone else's air, out of sight of the hypocrisy.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 03:03:21 PM »
After all, who really wants to talk about billions dead?
They won't talk about it, but they just think how much more  "pure" the world would be if it happened.  That is, as long as they are left.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 03:45:48 PM »
BHO  may argue for nationalized oil for the purpose of "national security."  After all, most foreign oil giants are state-owned--how else can we compete globally? he will say.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 04:45:08 PM »
Heard a scientist the other day on the radio.  He was talking about oil rigs off the coast of southern California.  He said that oil and gas naturally seep out of the ocean bottom. More, in a year than what the Exxon Valdez dumped.  Further, that drilling from the platforms out there takes some of the pressure off the oil and gas domes and as a result less oil and gas seeps out, actually improving the situation.
He also said that the reefs that are created when the platforms are built are homes to a teeming, healthy sea life.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 05:37:36 PM »
Heard a scientist the other day on the radio.  He was talking about oil rigs off the coast of southern California.  He said that oil and gas naturally seep out of the ocean bottom. More, in a year than what the Exxon Valdez dumped.  Further, that drilling from the platforms out there takes some of the pressure off the oil and gas domes and as a result less oil and gas seeps out, actually improving the situation.
He also said that the reefs that are created when the platforms are built are homes to a teeming, healthy sea life.

This was in the news a number of years ago, not too long after they drilled off the CA coast.  They were happy then that the seepage had slowed and many cases quit after they did drill.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 05:40:27 PM »
He said that oil and gas naturally seep out of the ocean bottom.

Coal Oil Point. Second largest natural seep field in the world.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."