Author Topic: Equal media time  (Read 9700 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Equal media time
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 05:03:36 AM »
the important issues slip through the cracks.

Or rather, both campaigns, the media, and 'the elite' have a variety of vested interests not to discuss anything of substance.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 10:16:03 AM »
Let me preface this by saying I probably will end up voting for McCain merely because I don't want "half-black Hitler". I want Barr in it because he would absolutely stomp Obama in the debates on national tv because as said before, he has nothing to lose. McCain can't say some things that Barr can about Obama because he has a chance of actually being elected and thus must play to the middle.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 02:09:07 PM »
Let me preface this by saying I probably will end up voting for McCain merely because I don't want "half-black Hitler". I want Barr in it because he would absolutely stomp Obama in the debates on national tv because as said before, he has nothing to lose. McCain can't say some things that Barr can about Obama because he has a chance of actually being elected and thus must play to the middle.

Obama has indicated that he has little interest in debating McCain.  What makes you think he will consent to debate with Barr?
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 02:09:56 PM »

Obama has indicated that he has little interest in debating McCain.  What makes you think he will consent to debate with Barr?

I wonder if he'll change his mind now that McCain has a lead.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

FiveBillionAcres

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 02:19:27 PM »
I seriously doubt that McCain has an actual lead...
It all depends on who asked the question, when they asked it (what big news there was in the preceeding 24 hours) and how they worded it.

What's scary is Obama might actually get people out to vote who wouldn't normally vote.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »

I wonder if he'll change his mind now that McCain has a lead.

He'll have to debate McCain eventually either way, otherwise he will look weak and probably lose.  However, he could blow off Barr without any negative side effects.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 05:18:21 PM »
He'll have to debate McCain eventually either way, otherwise he will look weak and probably lose. 

The Wizard of Uhh's knows that he'll get creamed in any type of debate.  Which is why he's only going to do the 3 minimum LoWV debates.   Just look at what happens whenever he strays off the teleprompter speech. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHEIi4XKRmM&feature=user

I am not Pro-McCain, but I am very Anti-Obama.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 10:26:46 AM »
  The libertarian in Georgia's 10th district? When the incumbant is backing the constitution? And reads the bills that come before him, and actually asks his constituants what they want? Any other time, maybe, but it's been too hard to find the good one! We're keeping him, thanks. (Much to the chagrin of the politico's on watch).

By 'the libertarian in GA-10', I of course imply the honorable Paul Broun.

Actully,he's a self proclaimed Constitutionalist; he's just registered as a Republican! cheesy

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 12:18:28 PM »
The LP made a strategic mistake decades ago when they decided to waste their limited resources on presidential races rather than local races. If they had chosen to go after aldermen, mayors, and state legislators, they could well be considered a serious party today because they would have a solid support base. As it is, they have virtually nothing other than a presidential campaign doomed to failure.

The idea was that a presidential campaign would bring them attention. It has not worked. They need to adjust their plan. I support much of their political ideology, but I have a hard time wasting a vote on a party that is essentially a single race party.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 06:46:22 PM »
The LP made a strategic mistake decades ago when they decided to waste their limited resources on presidential races rather than local races. If they had chosen to go after aldermen, mayors, and state legislators, they could well be considered a serious party today because they would have a solid support base. As it is, they have virtually nothing other than a presidential campaign doomed to failure.

The idea was that a presidential campaign would bring them attention. It has not worked. They need to adjust their plan. I support much of their political ideology, but I have a hard time wasting a vote on a party that is essentially a single race party.
You're exactly right.

Political parties are one of the few types of organizations where power flows from the bottom up to the top.  The Libertarian Party won't ever amount to anything until they understand that. 

I wish they'd hurry up and get a clue.  My Republican Party is losing it's bearings, and I'd it be nice to have a viable alternative.