Author Topic: TRON 2? With Jeff Bridges?! When did they start filming this movie?  (Read 6721 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Uh...heh!

Yes, he's in this bootleg clip of a teaser trailer. As his original character, Flynn, 26 years later. And apparently a bad guy. Yes, the picture gets bigger a few seconds in.

http://gizmodo.com/5029479/tron-2-trailer-video-makes-pants-wet-worldwide

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: TRON 2? With Jeff Bridges?! When did they start filming this movie?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:42:42 AM »
Ther've been rumbles about a Tron 2.0 for years, ever since the 2002 20th Anniversary release on DVD.  Most of the rumbles were silenced with the video game release.

But not all...  grin

Cindy Morgan in Spandex.   Grrrr-wow!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 01:47:10 PM »
Looks pretty good. I always liked the original and it appears they are doing the remake "right".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »
Looks pretty good. I always liked the original and it appears they are doing the remake "right".

According to what's been said, it's not a remake, it's a sequel.

Which is actually rather more something I would want to see, I think. I'm bored with "re-imaginings", continuing the story 26 years later is, I think, a bit more interesting.

From discussions by the producers that took place there, apparently, the yellow guy has Jeff Bridges' face from 1982, and is supposed to be none other than the yellow program he wrote that was driving a tank at the beginning of that movie.

Nice attention to story detail for writers 24 years later... Though if Pixar is involved, or even John Lasseter of Pixar, who did the original!...I wouldn't be surprised.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:04:48 PM »
Oh... oh wow... oh WOW...

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 05:46:28 PM »
Better (or, at least, different) capture:

http://tron-2-trailer.blogspot.com/
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 06:02:22 PM »
Will there be Tron pron?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »
From what I gather, the teaser is just kind of an imagining.  They're still working on the script.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:36:44 PM »
From what I gather, the teaser is just kind of an imagining.  They're still working on the script.

Cross your fingers Lasseter is kept with it, then. The original was his baby, it's what led to Pixar, so he will not let them re-invent it and make it "X-treme" like that Speed Racer crap, I would think.

I have to admit that when one of them walked towards the other, their ringed disc snapping into their hand as it lit up, both something from the original and NICELY updated at the same time...a little kid in my head who saw that at a very, very young age cheered. Smiley

They could have so much fun just with visualizing what current web terms might look like "on the inside". What might a firewall be, close up? And who would want to be relentlessly pursued by a Search Engine?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 06:45:38 PM »
Ugh. Giant info grabbing spiders all up in yo' grill.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:56:02 PM »
 grin

That's the coolest thing I've seen all month.  When does it come out?!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 04:30:47 AM »

And it's the perfect vehicle for a sequel too. All the improvments in movie and CGI technology would make perfect sense, because the digital world of "The System" would have expanded and changed right along with it.
I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 04:36:32 AM »
I think I'm the only geek-type guy of my generation who didn't get excited by Tron.  I get the significance of the movie, but the one time I watched it, It wasn't all that interesting to me.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 04:39:36 AM »

And it's the perfect vehicle for a sequel too. All the improvments in movie and CGI technology would make perfect sense, because the digital world of "The System" would have expanded and changed right along with it.

They actually did that in the Tron 2.0 game. There were some "legacy systems" in the minimalism of the original, and newer things with a lot more complexity and color.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 06:00:52 AM »
Any worms and viruses in this one?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 06:17:33 AM »
I've never seen the original Tron.

Premise?  Similar to the Matrix or Terminator, with an inherent distrust of technological infrastructure and authority?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 06:23:48 AM »
I've never seen the original Tron.

Premise?  Similar to the Matrix or Terminator, with an inherent distrust of technological infrastructure and authority?

Nope. Interesting premise, actually. The world inside the internet, where what might take a program days to get to an I/O tower and return a response is a microsecond to us. Programs are living beings, and in their pantheon, their Users, the ones who wrote them, are gods.

A User gets pulled down into that for interfering with a dominant Master Control Program, via a digitizing laser in a lab he's in. Games are real, like Roman gladiator fights with deadly outcomes. It's actually quite fun.

And Syd Mead's minimalist, glowing-edges architecture is still visually stunning.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 06:39:40 AM »
Nope. Interesting premise, actually. The world inside the internet, where what might take a program days to get to an I/O tower and return a response is a microsecond to us. Programs are living beings, and in their pantheon, their Users, the ones who wrote them, are gods.

I thought Tron was made back in the 80's.  When the internet was still the Darpanet, and hadn't cought on except for military and educational use.

I'll admit I never got on the 'net until my freshman year of college in '96.  Friends with computers in high school used modems to connect to BBS services (something I never got into and still don't completely understand BBS versus Internet).  My high school had no internet access that I know of.

I'll have to rent it this weekend and take a look.  Never seems to be on TV though.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 06:42:39 AM »

I thought Tron was made back in the 80's.  When the internet was still the Darpanet, and hadn't cought on except for military and educational use.

I'll admit I never got on the 'net until my freshman year of college in '96.  Friends with computers in high school used modems to connect to BBS services (something I never got into and still don't completely understand BBS versus Internet).  My high school had no internet access that I know of.

I'll have to rent it this weekend and take a look.  Never seems to be on TV though.

It was. It was WAY ahead of its time.

And there's a 20th anniversary remastered DVD out there.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 07:26:29 AM »
...BBS services (something I never got into and still don't completely understand BBS versus Internet)

Sorta like forums such as this one.  Only its all text and ASCII graphics over dialup connections. 

If produced I'm sure it will be pretty, but will they be bringing back Tron?  He is The One after all. Wink
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 08:48:27 AM »
This thread forced me to buy the Tron 2.0 video game. I had played the demo a while ago, but didn't have $50 to spend on a game. Since the game is $3.95 on Amazon now, I figured I'd give it a spin.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 08:57:15 AM »
This thread forced me to buy the Tron 2.0 video game. I had played the demo a while ago, but didn't have $50 to spend on a game. Since the game is $3.95 on Amazon now, I figured I'd give it a spin.

It's worth it. So much subtle humor, like the "recognizer safety" lecture when you're boarding...advising you that in the event of archive decompression, a subnet mask will drop into your overhead memory, and to install your own mask before that of any subprograms...  cheesy

It's also just gorgeous. Like this shot. Yup, that's a Recognizer, there. They seriously fleshed out the world. The story is also VERY good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knjbIyduw4M

There's a military leader called The Kernel, of course, who is actually quite capable. He gets great lines too. "Shut down all unnecessary applications and divert resources to the front! This system will not go down on my watch!"  grin

erictank

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 10:17:13 AM »

It's worth it. So much subtle humor, like the "recognizer safety" lecture when you're boarding...advising you that in the event of archive decompression, a subnet mask will drop into your overhead memory, and to install your own mask before that of any subprograms...  cheesy

It's also just gorgeous. Like this shot. Yup, that's a Recognizer, there. They seriously fleshed out the world. The story is also VERY good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knjbIyduw4M

There's a military leader called The Kernel, of course, who is actually quite capable. He gets great lines too. "Shut down all unnecessary applications and divert resources to the front! This system will not go down on my watch!"  grin

That game was one of my favorites for at least a couple of years.  Still HAVE it, I just haven't got time for gaming anymore.

Yes, I have the 20th Anniversary DVD movie, as well.  And I'm drooling over the possibility of a 26-years-later Tron 2 movie  shocked.  Where's my Identity Disc... grin

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »
Now I have a reason to see the first one.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 08:57:51 AM »
Ok, I just finished watching Tron.

Probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
=\
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.