Author Topic: Why no drilling for oil?  (Read 19908 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Why no drilling for oil?
« on: August 06, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »
From all the rhetoric from the idiots in Washington about alterative energy and no drilling for oil, I began to think; Why?

Are they setting themselves up to be multi-billionairs, by investing in the form of energy companies that they are saying we should be using,  Or trying to drive us to our knees so the Commies can take over with out firing a shot as one of their leaders said they would, about 40 years ago.

Or, even both of the above.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Why no drilling for oil?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 12:43:06 PM »
I think that, up until now, the environmentalists had enough clout in DC to prevent new drilling. It looks like the public is finally making more noise than the tree huggers now.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 12:44:56 PM »
Anything that weakens America strengthens leftist extremism.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »
Also, it is starting to look like the Democrats are either going to compromise on this or risk taking a beating in an election they thought they had in the bag.  I think the Democrats will try to push something through as soon as they get back in September.  Rush mentioned that he heard Pelosi was quietly telling Democrats they were okay if they broke from the party line to protect their reelection.  IMO, they had better do something because the Republicans in Congress seem to have finally found something to rally around and get voters attention.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 03:46:07 PM »
There is oil in the United States. We know that. I think cost is a factor. It was cheaper to import it than to drill for it here. But if there is too much oil, prices will drop and the oil companies may not make as much as they would like.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »
I think we should drill right now and use our own oil..... but at the same time be fervently working towards finding an alternative fuel source for transportation use.  The power grid doesn't need oil.... we only really need oil still for trucks and cars.  Ethanol isn't really a solution.  Hydrogen fuel cells are a problem as we both don't have the technology right now, and unless we use bacteria to produce the hydrogen we'd just be transferring power (which could be ok if it wasn't coming from oil I suppose).

We need to be thinking about an alternative, but in the meantime definitely use whatever we have!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:51:12 PM »

Are they setting themselves up to be multi-billionairs, by investing in the form of energy companies that they are saying we should be using, 

I'm convinced that's what Pickins is trying to accomplish. 

As for Pelosi and the rest, I figure they're just pandering to the enviro-nuts that vote for them.  Nothing like putting your own political ambitions above the needs of the country you're supposed to be leading.  Sometimes I wonder if they aren't trying to drive the price of oil up higher in an attempt to make the alternatives more economical, but then I listen to them speak and I'm reminded that these people are just too dumb to come up with a scheme like that.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »
HTG; just remember that the policritter itself is just a face. All bills are written by the aides, read by the aides, and summarized for the aides.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 05:52:23 PM »
[Dons leftist hat] I don't understand why all you guys talk about lately is oil.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 05:58:58 PM »
We all know the saying, "gun control isn't about guns, it's about control."

The ultra-libs would like us to become more dependent upon mass transportation. They don't like our freedom of movement. Once you're riding the train or bus, you're told when you will depart, where, and when you will arrive. It's more control.

taurusowner

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 07:06:11 PM »
I'm not talking about parties, cause we all know the GOP has more than it's fair share of RINOs these days.  But what it boils down to is who is in control.  The left wants them to be in control of you.  The right wants you to be in control of you.  Which side generally favors self defense and which opposes it?  Which side generally favors entrepreneurship and which opposes it?  Which side favors you keeping the fruit of your labors and which side wants to take it?  Which side wants you to be able to raise your children how you want, and which side wants the State to do it.  More oil means you can go back to living your life how YOU want to.  If we drill for more oil and produce gas, it's harder to force everyone to drive the cars the left wants you to drive, or use their light bulbs, or keep you house at the temperature they want you to.

Monkeyleg has it right.  It's not about the oil.  It's about who is in control of how you live you life.  Oil is one way you can exercise your free will, thus they are opposed to it.

quatin

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 06:24:55 PM »
When they say "open offshore drilling", they mean "open Alaska drilling". Maybe I'm selfish, but I would like for people to stay the heck away from Alaska. It is one of the last true places that is not tainted by industrialization and civilization (at least not as much) . I am still planning my trip to fish the salmon runs and maybe...just maybe if people don't come and screw it up, go on a week long caribou hunt. I'm hoping to preserve it so my kids can go on these same trips. We have the rest of the world to play with, but please just leave Alaska out of it.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 06:43:38 PM »
Quatin, ANWAR is 19,000,000 acres. That's an area about the size of South Carolina.

The area they're talking about drilling on would take up 2,000 acres. It would be about the size of Dulles airport in DC.

I hardly think that drilling in ANWAR will affect your fishing and hunting trips.

quatin

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 07:11:39 PM »
It's a matter of principle. Alaska should be seen as the last untainted lands in this country. We simply should not create precedence that it is also our back up oil supply. If we drill 2000 acres now, when will it stop? The next time we have oil shortage why not take another measly 2000 acres and so forth?

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »
We all know the saying, "gun control isn't about guns, it's about control."

The ultra-libs would like us to become more dependent upon mass transportation. They don't like our freedom of movement. Once you're riding the train or bus, you're told when you will depart, where, and when you will arrive. It's more control.

You win the $64 prize.  Key word "control!"
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 07:23:58 PM »
Quatin, ANWAR is 19,000,000 acres. That's an area about the size of South Carolina.

The area they're talking about drilling on would take up 2,000 acres. It would be about the size of Dulles airport in DC.

I hardly think that drilling in ANWAR will affect your fishing and hunting trips.

The total is 2000 acres to drill but not in one area. Couple acres here and couple acres there, need road to those acres and pretty soon we have a spider web over 19M acres.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 07:59:48 PM »

The total is 2000 acres to drill but not in one area. Couple acres here and couple acres there, need road to those acres and pretty soon we have a spider web over 19M acres.

The plan I read was to only run vehicles in the drilling areas when the tundra was frozen. Likewise, the drilling stations would not be operable in the warm months of the year.

We are now witnessing a catastrophe that has been thirty years in the making: the prohibition on further drilling as well as the construction of new nuclear reactors.

The result is that our economy is teetering on the edge of not just a recession, but possibly a depression if other factors come into play.

For those of you who oppose new drilling, I ask you this: what are we to do with our economic mess while we wait for energy miracles?

California recently took a nuclear reactor out of commission and replaced it with solar panels. The reactor generated 90 megawatts; the solar panels generate 5 megawatts. As for windmills, they still don't produce enough energy when measured by the area they consume.

When it comes to nuclear reactors, the European countries are far ahead of us. France gets roughly 80% of its electricity from nuclear. We're down around 5%.

The fastest way to reduce energy costs is to drill; the second fastest is to build nuclear power plants. While we're drilling and building new reactors, we can pursue alternative energy sources.

The US has the third-largest oil reserves of any country in the world, yet we've been sitting on them while the fuse on the powder keg was burning.

quatin

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 09:01:19 PM »
 undecided I thought we needed oil just to drive our cars. I don't believe oil power plants produce much energy for the country, we are more reliant on natural gas and coal. This is not a "the world is coming to an end problem". I don't see why our first impluse is to sacrifice the last wildlife refuge. I can't imagine that Alaska is our last resort, it is just the easiest solution.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 09:05:39 PM »
undecided I thought we needed oil just to drive our cars. I don't believe oil power plants produce much energy for the country, we are more reliant on natural gas and coal. This is not a "the world is coming to an end problem". I don't see why our first impluse is to sacrifice the last wildlife refuge. I can't imagine that Alaska is our last resort, it is just the easiest solution.

There are alot of things that depend on oil to produce besides gas and diesel.  Plastics being one of the major consumers of petroleum.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

taurusowner

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 01:04:37 AM »
Not to mention electric cars and wind power do nothing to address the energy needs of things like airplanes.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 02:52:07 AM »
For those of you who oppose new drilling, I ask you this: what are we to do with our economic mess while we wait for energy miracles?

I don't oppose drilling in ANWR at all, I'd just rather see it as the last place we go. Supposedly we have lots of oil in the Dakotas and off shore. We even have a potential for a lot of oil along the mid continent riff which runs from Lake Superior to to the middle of Kansas. Drill those places first.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 03:13:03 AM »
On the north shore of ANWR there are no salmon.  There are no trees, either.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 04:04:02 AM »
It's like gun control in that it is a combination of motives:  Druidism (which is one of the three religions that the Left will tolerate), Utopianism (remember much of the Left is composed of people who have been isolated from the realities of the world), and Communism (weakening and if possible destroying the USA has long been a goal of the Left).

On the north shore of ANWR there are no salmon.  There are no trees, either.

ANWR is the dark side of the moon.  Selfish sandal-clad Leftists who have never left San Fransico are dictating policy--it is pure lunacy.  All these people know of Nature is what they have seen in Disney cartoons and what they angry lesbian at the organic grocery store tells them.

I thought we needed oil just to drive our cars. I don't believe oil power plants produce much energy for the country, we are more reliant on natural gas and coal.

Ummm, no, was the person that taught you that wearing sandals?  In typing on your computer you are touching oil.  Plastic is all around us and plastic comes from:  A) the good intentions of Leftist trust fund kids, B) the farts of unicorns which are used to power windmills and smell like peppermint, C) Oil.

Every been to the Northeast (it's O.K. the Lefty trust fund kids in San Fransico haven't either) on an airplane that uses oil?  They heat with oil out there, thus the term "Home Heating Oil".

I would put a drill through a caribou's head to get it started.  In 2002 we had a chance to get this started but the Left stopped it.  We should not let them stop us again.

If you don't like oil, then go write a big fat check to Tesla Motors to invest in their prototype.  Let us big a boatload of nukes and then go get your PhD (no, not in Folklore or interpretative dance like the trust fund kids, but in a hard science) and get to work on Tesla's idea for geothermic engery.  BTW, even if we do this, we will still need oil, just not as much.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 04:31:44 AM »
El T? No coffee yet this morning?

Let us big a boatload of nukes and then go get your PhD

and what they angry lesbian at the organic grocery store tells them.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 04:45:28 AM »
Quatin, I"m having a new roof put on my small home next week. Cost: $4500. Last year it would have been much less, but the price of asphalt shingles has gone up 60% due to the increased price of oil. Asphalt is made from oil, which means that road repairs are also costing more, which costs taxpayers more.

Milwaukee's hometown airline, Midwest Express, has had to ground its fleet of MD-80 airliners because they consume the most fuel. They're also the airliners that were used for direct flights from Milwaukee to cities on the east and west coasts, so those direct flights have been eliminated. So have many jobs that went with the flights, such as the mechanics (like my neighbor) who worked on the planes.

The stock market has been having a terrible year because the price of oil has driven up the cost of just about every product, resulting in higher costs and either lower profits and/or reduced sales. That doesn't just affect the companies, it affects the employees as well as those who have stock in those companies directly or through mutual funds. What's been the net loss to those with IRA's, 401(k)'s and other stock-related savings plans this year? We're not talking about just "the rich" here, we're talking about a huge slice of the middle class who have lost money.

The demand isn't going to go away, as China and India increase their already accelerated consumption. We're not likely to see oil below $100 a barrel again. That means that we're going to be suffering this economic pain until we can increase our own production.

From what I've read, we could be pumping oil five years from the time the government gives the green light. Because of bureaucratic red tape, a new nuclear reactor will take ten years.  How long will it take to make various alternative fuels mainstream to reduce oil consumption? It won't be in five years, that's for sure.

Aside from economic issues, our strategic interests are affected by the increased demand and our diminished supply. (We've gone from 9 million barrels a day of domestic production thirty years ago to five million today, while demand has tripled). As we remain dependent upon foreign oil, we become hamstrung in the ways that we can deal with Saudi Arabia, Iran, and even the new Iraqi government. Ironically, the "no war for oil" crowd (which has among its ranks many opponents of domestic drilling) doesn't realize that dependence on foreign oil makes war more likely, not less.

The hypocrisy of those who oppose drilling for environmental reasons would be laughable if it weren't so serious. They don't want us drilling on US land for environmental reasons, but seem to have no problem with paying other countries to do the dirty work on their land. (Assuming that there's any environmental affect, which I don't believe).

We should be drilling in North and South Dakota, off the coast of California, off the Florida coast, in the Great Lakes, and anywhere else where there's oil. Opponents of shale oil production say the cost is too great, but the Canadians seem to have found a way to get shale oil at a reasonable price, so let's put that on the table, too.

What I do no understand is why ANWAR is such a big issue. We're talking about a huge area that few people see or ever will see, and a small part of that area to be used for drilling. Can someone please explain why ANWAR is such a hot-button issue?