Author Topic: ATF adds "colorizing" as a manufacturing process  (Read 5002 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
ATF adds "colorizing" as a manufacturing process
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:32:30 AM »
So much for hardchroming and Duracoat services. Bluing, even! They just keep getting bigger and bigger, unchecked...

ATF has determined that both colorization and heat treating of firearms are
manufacturing processes.  The companies performing the processes are required
to be licensed as manufacturers.  If the companies providing colorization and/or
heat treating have not received variances to adopt the original manufacturers
markings, they would be required to place their own markings on any firearm on
which they perform the manufacturing process of colorization and/or heat
treating.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearmstech/081508manufacturing-of-firearms.pdf

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: ATF adds "colorizing" as a manufacturing process
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:32 AM »
What's next... Looking?  Handling?  Cleaning?
Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:07:11 AM »
Oh geez, that's not good.......  angry

So if I buy a bake on finish from Brownell's am I now a manufacturer?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 07:26:39 AM »
This belongs in GGD over at THR.

I too am concerned about how far this carries.

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 07:38:40 AM »
This belongs in GGD over at THR.

I too am concerned about how far this carries.

Already is in the law section.

I propose a solution.  Remember when the ATF started prosecuting people who sold 3 or 4 guns a year at gunshows?  In response to this people started applying for FFLs to avoid being harrassed.  The ATF couldn't handle to paper monster it created.

Even if you don't get the FFL, they still have to do the paper work.  So everyone who does dura-coating should apply for their manufacturing license, and see how long this regulation lasts.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 07:41:13 AM »
What's funny is that the Colorado School of Trades reblues, parkerizes, etc., guns all the time, and they're just an 01 FFL and a gunsmithing FFL.  smiley
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:46:24 AM »
From what I understand of the discussion on THR is that this only applies to people who modify the finish of a gun they intend to sell.  I.E. a FFL (gun dealer) refinishes a remington 700 in camo, and then attempts to sell it.  This action would require a manufacturing license. 

Joe blow takes his remington 700 to a FFl (gun dealer) and has his finish redone in camo.  This does NOT require a manufacturing license.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 07:56:40 AM »
From what I understand of the discussion on THR is that this only applies to people who modify the finish of a gun they intend to sell.  I.E. a FFL (gun dealer) refinishes a remington 700 in camo, and then attempts to sell it.  This action would require a manufacturing license. 

Joe blow takes his remington 700 to a FFl (gun dealer) and has his finish redone in camo.  This does NOT require a manufacturing license.

Guns and Ammo Magazine's Surplus Special ran a thing a while ago about how to buy, refinish and sell milsurps. How to either cold-blue touchup minor bits, or that you could make your own garage hot bluing tank for about $200.

Then there's people who will Duracoat a gun for a friend.

And LOTS of people, even FFLs, will reblue or park scuffed-up guns in their possession before putting them out to sell, because it's a little work for a significant sales value.

And how do they know "intend to sell"? What if you refinish a gun, and then later decide to sell it? Was that "intent to sell"?

I can think of lots of ways ordinary people could get hung by this one...

And I'm not sure whether it's attempt to get more funds via more taxes, or just further discouraging of keeping existing guns in operating condition by allowing them to be easily refinished...i.e. removal of guns from the public through rust and other forms of attrition. Tongue

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 07:59:53 AM »
Does that mean I can start selling unfinished, stainless steel 1911 frames that haven't been heat treated as 80% receivers?  grin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:13:38 AM »
Next thing you know, putting a sling or a scope on a gun will be "manufacturing"  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 08:15:25 AM »
Does that mean I can start selling unfinished, stainless steel 1911 frames that haven't been heat treated as 80% receivers?  grin
I'll take 5.

grin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »
Next thing you know, putting a sling or a scope on a gun will be "manufacturing"  rolleyes

seems like it, probably go after reloading next.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 08:16:50 AM »

Guns and Ammo Magazine's Surplus Special ran a thing a while ago about how to buy, refinish and sell milsurps. How to either cold-blue touchup minor bits, or that you could make your own garage hot bluing tank for about $200.

Then there's people who will Duracoat a gun for a friend.

And LOTS of people, even FFLs, will reblue or park scuffed-up guns in their possession before putting them out to sell, because it's a little work for a significant sales value.

And how do they know "intend to sell"? What if you refinish a gun, and then later decide to sell it? Was that "intent to sell"?

I can think of lots of ways ordinary people could get hung by this one...

And I'm not sure whether it's attempt to get more funds via more taxes, or just further discouraging of keeping existing guns in operating condition by allowing them to be easily refinished...i.e. removal of guns from the public through rust and other forms of attrition. Tongue

I don't think the intention was towards normal people, not yet anyway.  From what I understand, they are just clarifying their position.  I have no idea how they plan to enforce this, but I bet it will involve a lot of headaches, paperwork, and harassment of law-abiding citizens.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 08:18:01 AM »
Tallpine

Read the PDF. Adding a scope for the purpose of selling a firearm IS manufacturing - the BATFE counts anything that changes the gun for the purpose of resale to be such activity.  undecided
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 08:21:10 AM »
Tallpine

Read the PDF. Adding a scope for the purpose of selling a firearm IS manufacturing - the BATFE counts anything that changes the gun for the purpose of resale to be such activity.  undecided

Wow!  So that means the hardware store that I used to work for was manufacturing guns  shocked

Worse yet - I was their primary scope installer and bore sighter Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »
I want someone to show the Hello Kitty gun at a press conference with ATF and ask them if that was considered manufacturing.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 11:00:01 AM »
Do it. I'll have a dozen, as soon as I can get the money for buying all at the same time laugh.