Author Topic: Chicago Tribune: It's Palin for VP  (Read 76356 times)

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
Re: Chicago Tribune: It's Palin for VP
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »
So was LBJ, but nobody was afraid to say it.

Could you explain that one a bit further?  I'm very interested.

Kennedy desperately needed the Southern vote: ANY of it.  LBJ could arrange some of that.

LBJ was not Kennedy's preferred choice.  Much like McCain's choice, what you had was the top-flight application of pragmatic politics.  Each candidate required an individual based upon certain merits, neither of which had much to do beyond demographics.
Zeke

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »
For those asking about LBJ, there's an interesting column at Townhall.com here.

That was a great read.
Zeke

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2008, 11:05:24 AM »
McCain just hit a grand slam and I'm gonna go on record right here & now and predict that Biden will make a political gaffe and the big "O" will regretfully accept Joe's resignation and announce Hillary as the V.P. nominee.  Anything less and the Dem's ticket is sunk.   laugh   

You would not want to be the President if Hillary was your VP.  Unhealthy, that.

Add me to the list of Dems that are voting Republican for the first time.  Does boiling water take away the evil feeling?   grin 

Just don't scrub too hard.  And maybe start hitting the sauce a little harder.  laugh

Will vodka do it?  Or should I switch to grain on election day?   Is there anything with a higher proof than grain?   grin

Just a couple shots to settle your nerves when you pull the lever (can't vote if visibly intoxicated I believe), don't down the bottle until after.  Hopefully you'll wake up feeling so horrible you won't remember the actual voting until it's over either way.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2008, 11:07:38 AM »
Is anyone else starting to be a little disturbed about how negative these people are going on her?  Not in a "you cant do that to a woman" way, but rather how much mud is being thrown in so short a space of time - I am struggling to think of a recent precedent, and its almost as if they smell blood.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #179 on: September 01, 2008, 11:21:54 AM »
Is anyone else starting to be a little disturbed about how negative these people are going on her?  Not in a "you cant do that to a woman" way, but rather how much mud is being thrown in so short a space of time - I am struggling to think of a recent precedent, and its almost as if they smell blood.

They aren't throwing mud because they smell blood, they are throwing rocks to try to draw it.

Palin doesn't seem to have a lot of solid angles they can attack.  Her "scandals" are picayune and she really isn't too far out of the middle American model, even her "extreme" positions only seem so to idealogues.

In my opinion, the more she talks, the better she is going to look to the undecided and moderates.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

agricola

• friend
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2008, 11:24:11 AM »
Obama seems at least to have realised these attacks will inevitably damage himself:

Jake Tapper: Governor Palin and her husband issued a statement today saying that their 17 year old daughter Bristol who is unmarried is 5 months pregnant. Do you have a comment?

BO: I have heard some of the news on this and so let me be as clear as possible. I have said before and I will repeat again, I think peoples families are off limits, and peoples children are especially off limits. This shouldnt be part of our politics, it has no relevance to governor Palins performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. And so I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories. You know my mother had me when she was 18. And how family deals with issues and teenage children that shouldnt be the topic of our politics and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that is off limits.

Jeff Zeleny: an unnamed McCain advisor as reported on Reuters that the despicable rumors have been spread on blogs some even with Barack Obamas name on them.

BO: I am offended by that statement, there is no evidence at all that any of this involved us. I hope I am as clear as I can be. So in case I am not, let me repeat, we dont go after peoples families, we dont get them involved in the politics, it is not appropriate and it is not relevant. Our people were not involved in any way in this and they will not be. And if I ever thought it was somebody in the campaign that was involved in something like that they would be fired. Ok. Alright guys. Thank you.

(via http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/ )
"Make peace, you fools"

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »

I think they are scared. She is everything a leftist is not, and she scares many on the Republican side (because she has contempt for what politicians do). She is the kind of person that wants to take back the gov't for the American people, and that scares the ones that would prefer the status quo of screwing us over.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2008, 12:15:07 PM »
Obama seems at least to have realised these attacks will inevitably damage himself:

Jake Tapper: Governor Palin and her husband issued a statement today saying that their 17 year old daughter Bristol who is unmarried is 5 months pregnant. Do you have a comment?

BO: I have heard some of the news on this and so let me be as clear as possible. I have said before and I will repeat again, I think peoples families are off limits, and peoples children are especially off limits. This shouldnt be part of our politics, it has no relevance to governor Palins performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. And so I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories. You know my mother had me when she was 18. And how family deals with issues and teenage children that shouldnt be the topic of our politics and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that is off limits.

Jeff Zeleny: an unnamed McCain advisor as reported on Reuters that the despicable rumors have been spread on blogs some even with Barack Obamas name on them.

BO: I am offended by that statement, there is no evidence at all that any of this involved us. I hope I am as clear as I can be. So in case I am not, let me repeat, we dont go after peoples families, we dont get them involved in the politics, it is not appropriate and it is not relevant. Our people were not involved in any way in this and they will not be. And if I ever thought it was somebody in the campaign that was involved in something like that they would be fired. Ok. Alright guys. Thank you.

(via http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/ )

Good for him.  I do believe he is sincere on this topic.  I disagree with him, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of cad who would authorize attacks.

Although the attacks will continue to come, even if not from his campaign (cough Huff Post, Daily Kos cough), and he will get slimed with them.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »
Considering BHO's mother was 18 when she had him, I can imagine such an attack might seem out of line to him.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »
Considering BHO's mother was 18 when she had him, I can imagine such an attack might seem out of line to him.

He mentioned that his mother had him at 18 tonight in some impromptu interview.  Definitely showing some class here.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2008, 04:22:29 PM »

He mentioned that his mother had him at 18 tonight in some impromptu interview.  Definitely showing some class here.

Or just pretending to, while his operatives are allowed to smear at will.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2008, 04:37:27 PM »

In the past, Obama has always publicly opposed personal attacks, while secretly using surrogates to carry out personal attacks for him.  He has to keep his own hands clean, so that he can maintain his clean and pure public persona. 

That doesn't mean other Democrat's won't happily do it for him.

If none of the Democrat surrogate attack dogs comment on this story, and if the media drops the story in a day, then I'll believe that Obama is sincere about wanting to keep this out of the race.  Call me cynical, but until then, I'll believe that he's just being a typical two-faced politician.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #187 on: September 01, 2008, 07:08:13 PM »
Is anyone else starting to be a little disturbed about how negative these people are going on her?

*munch munch munch*  Popcorn needs more butter.

She's a big girl.  She'll be okay.  Besides, she's going to be living in Washington--she might as well get used to Category 3 sewage now.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2008, 05:01:01 AM »
"Make peace, you fools"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2008, 05:27:15 AM »
I was spewing coffee. That one was printer worthy.  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• friend
McCain vetter defends Palin review
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2008, 05:37:37 AM »
Here is the AP version of hte McCain camp's vetting of Palin.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080902/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin&printer=1;_ylt=AjqrB9pj2F1L58H5BF5iTq5h24cA

McCain vetter defends Palin review

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press WriterTue Sep 2, 7:28 AM ET

Sarah Palin voluntarily told John McCain's campaign about her pregnant teenage daughter and her husband's 2-decade-old DUI arrest during questioning as part of the Republican's vice presidential search, the lawyer who conducted the background review said.

The Alaska governor also greatly detailed the dismissal of the state's public safety commissioner that has touched off a legislative investigation, Arthur B. Culvahouse Jr. told The Associated Press in an interview Monday.

Palin underwent a "full and complete" background examination before McCain chose her as his running mate, Culvahouse said. Asked whether everything that came up as a possible red flag during the review already has been made public, he said: "I think so. Yah, I think so. Correct."

McCain's campaign has been trying to tamp down questions about whether the Arizona senator adequately researched his surprise vice presidential selection or whether he chose the first-term governor without fully looking into her background.

Nicolle Wallace, a senior McCain adviser, told ABC's "Good Morning America" on Tuesday that Palin disclosed her daughter's pregnancy during the vetting process, and that the McCain campaign had been forced to reveal the pregnancy publicly Monday because of "lewd and outrageously false rumors" spread by "Democratic-leaning blogs and a few in the mainstream" media. She did not identify them.

Since McCain publicly disclosed his running mate on Friday, the notion of a shoddy, rushed review has been stoked repeatedly.

First, a campaign-issued timeline said McCain initially met Palin in February, then held one phone conversation with her last week before inviting her to Arizona, where he met with her a second time and offered her the job Thursday.

Then came the campaign's disclosure that Palin's unmarried 17-year-old daughter, Bristol, was pregnant. The father is Levi Johnston, who has been a hockey player at Bristol's high school, The New York Post and The New York Daily News reported in their Tuesday editions.

In addition, the campaign also disclosed that Palin's husband, Todd, then age 22, was arrested in 1986 in Alaska for driving under the influence of alcohol.

Shortly after Palin was named to the ticket, McCain's campaign dispatched a team of a dozen communications operatives and lawyers to Alaska. That fueled speculation that a comprehensive examination of Palin's record and past was incomplete and being done only after she was placed on the ticket.

Steve Schmidt, a senior adviser, said no matter who the nominee was, the campaign was ready to send a "jump team" to the No. 2's home state to work with the nominee's staff, work with the local media and help handle requests from the national media for information, and answer questions about documents that were part of the review.

At several points throughout the process, McCain's team warned Palin that the scrutiny into her private life would be intense and that there was nothing she could do to prepare for it.

Culvahouse disclosed details of his examination in a half-hour interview with the AP.

First, a team of some 25 people working under Culvahouse culled information from public sources for Palin and other prospective candidates without their knowledge. For all, news reports, speeches, financial and tax return disclosures, litigation, investigations, ethical charges, marriages and divorces were reviewed.

For Palin specifically, the team studied online archives of the state's largest newspapers, including the Anchorage Daily News, but didn't request paper archives for Palin's hometown newspaper. "I made the decision that we could not get it done and maintain secrecy," Culvahouse said.

Reports, 40-some pages and single-spaced, on each candidate then were reviewed by McCain, Schmidt, campaign manager Rick Davis and top advisers Mark Salter and Charlie Black.

Among the details McCain's campaign found: Palin had once received a citation for fishing without a license.

Palin, like others on the short list, then was sent a personal data questionnaire with 70 "very intrusive" questions, Culvahouse said. She also was asked to submit a number of years of federal and state tax returns, as well as any controversial articles she had written or interviews she had done. The campaign also checked her credit.

Then, Culvahouse conducted a nearly three-hour-long interview.

He said the first thing she volunteered was that her daughter was pregnant, and she also quickly disclosed her husband's DUI arrest.

Early on, the public search unearthed details of the investigation by the Republican-controlled legislature into the possibility that Palin ordered the dismissal of Alaska's public safety commissioner because he would not fire her former brother-in-law as a state trooper.

Culvahouse said that he asked follow-up questions during the interview, and "spent a lot of time with her lawyer" on the matter.

"We came out of it knowing all that we could know at the time," he said.

As for the financial records review, Culvahouse said: "It was very clean. We had no issues there."

Throughout the process, the campaign said, Davis had multiple conversations with Palin.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2008, 12:05:14 PM »
As Ezekiel pointed out; it's both.  What I don't understand is, since she's no more a token than anyone else, why he brought it up.

Because to NOT bring it up implies a level of fear in stating the obvious, merely because she is a woman.

Ha!  So I guess you can show me where you pointed out that H. Clinton and Obama were tokens, too, right?  Since neither has more experience than Palin.  Then show me where you pointed out that one-term Edwards was also a token.  You weren't afraid, I hope. 

Or just give it up.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2008, 02:07:30 PM »
As Ezekiel pointed out; it's both.  What I don't understand is, since she's no more a token than anyone else, why he brought it up.

Because to NOT bring it up implies a level of fear in stating the obvious, merely because she is a woman.

Ha!  So I guess you can show me where you pointed out that H. Clinton and Obama were tokens, too, right?  Since neither has more experience than Palin.  Then show me where you pointed out that one-term Edwards was also a token.  You weren't afraid, I hope. 

Or just give it up.

I believe those two are properly vetted -- voted for -- individuals and not knee-jerk nominations by a desperate old man to fill a dearly needed demographic.

His staff was screaming, "find me a right-wing female who might appease the radicals and the Clintonistas."

They found her.

TOKEN.
Zeke

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #193 on: September 02, 2008, 02:15:09 PM »
Yeah.  She's a woman, so she's a token.  The fact that she's perfectly suited for the job is completely irrelevant.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #194 on: September 02, 2008, 02:21:57 PM »

Or just give it up.

I believe those two are properly vetted -- voted for -- individuals and not knee-jerk nominations by a desperate old man to fill a dearly needed demographic.

His staff was screaming, "find me a right-wing female who might appease the radicals and the Clintonistas."

They found her.

TOKEN.

Yes, Hillary was properly vetted - thats why she was able to show how well she had done under sniper fire.  Obama was properly vetted as well, since he has had absolutely no problems with his church.  Or the buying of his house.  Or who he associated with when he was starting his political career.  

This "she wasnt properly vetted" line is one that the Dems have managed to push into the media spotlight.  Please have the intelligence to realise this, and also to realise that its nonsensical.  

At its heart, of course, the line relies on the belief that a woman who has a pregnant teenage daughter, who is under an investigation (ie:  not found guilty of anything, since I hear you still believe in innocence until proven guilty) in her home state (which was national news, dont forget), whose husband has a twenty-year old arrest for DUI, who has committed the cardinal sin of changing her opinion on an issue (we all know Obama, Hillary, McCain, Biden and nearly every other politician in the world never did that, right?) and who is alleged to have been the member of an entirely legal third party in Alaska fifteen years ago is not suitable to be a Presidential candidate.  

edit:  Oh, and we are also supposed to imply that they wouldnt have done exactly the same hatchet job on Romney, or Pawlenty, or any of the other picks (except Lieberman, I dont think they would have had to do anything there). 
"Make peace, you fools"

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #195 on: September 02, 2008, 02:26:36 PM »
TOKEN.

I am reminded of a bit out of The Princess Bride:
Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Calling LBJ a token is also a misuse, unless Lloyd Bentson on the Dukkakis/Bentson ticket was a token.

Most tickets are a balancing act* attempting to appeal to the largest number of voters come election day.

* The only recent exception being Clinton/Gore, as both were "moderate" Dems from southern states.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #197 on: September 02, 2008, 05:08:54 PM »
Ah, now they are stooping to identity theft.

Classy.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ezekiel

• friend
« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2008, 05:46:33 PM »
Calling LBJ a token is also a misuse, unless Lloyd Bentson on the Dukkakis/Bentson ticket was a token.

A reasonable person could not possibly believe otherwise.
Zeke

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2008, 08:20:54 PM »

Or just give it up.

They found her.

TOKEN.

You so funny.   laugh  The other day you said she was a neo-con, and now you say she's a right-winger.  She can't be both at the same time.  You just kill me. 

And as I have explained, if Palin is a token, Obama is even more of a token.  He was vetted and voted for, but only AFTER the party built a cult around him.

So where did you declare Edwards a token?  Or were you trembling with fear?  It's gotta be one or the other. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife