Author Topic: To those who question if she (palin) pro gun or not...  (Read 28276 times)

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
Re: To those who question if she (palin) pro gun or not...
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 04:14:36 PM »
She is a nutjob Westerner and I do not trust her.

Gee, thanks a lot.  I don't trust you either  angry

Palin is a reformer in Alaska.  But then you should have known that already.

He doesn't like Southerners, either.
What about dirty hippies?
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 04:17:01 PM »
Now, that is a group me and El T can agree on hating...

grin

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »
"We'll just call it the Republic of You and Me, but I ain't so sure about You........."

grin

Gee, thanks a lot.  I don't trust you either  angry

Palin is a reformer in Alaska.  But then you should have known that already.

He doesn't like Southerners, either.
What about dirty hippies?

I'm down with that....
 grin

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 07:21:43 PM »

Uncle Billy Sherman's boys from Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin were considered "Westerners" when they took their little detour through Georgia and then on up into the Carolina's. 

grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lacoochee

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »
little detour

That's an odd way of describing a murderous rampage through a largely unarmed and defenseless civilian population.

But hey whatever, Palin is a good choice I still have to hold my nose to vote for McCain so it only makes me feel a little better.
Deo Vindice

* "[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
---James Madison,The Federalist Papers, No. 46.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 07:39:52 PM »
Westerner?

Don't you mean "Northerner?"

Or is that "Arcticer?"

Don't they have badgers up there?

Heck, they actually have a TOWN called Badger, Alaska.

grin

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »
I hope that AR is hers.  grin

It turns out it's not even a real gun.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 09:51:51 PM »
As I understand Alaska, they have a state full of natural resources but such lousy weather that very few people want to live there. 

If you have to pay people to live in a state with lousy weather, how much do they you boys in Virginia?  Tongue  And where's my money from the state of MO and TX? 

Weather-wise, I think I'd choose Alaska. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 11:09:45 PM »
"Westerner"?  Did you mean West-Coaster?  As far as I'm concerned, from here in Virginia, everyone in Indiana is a Westerner too.

As for "welfare state", that's not a very good description.  Welfare implies money for the worthless, deadbeat, drains on society so that they will vote for your party. 

As I understand Alaska, they have a state full of natural resources but such lousy weather that very few people want to live there.  So the state government pays everyone, man woman and child, equally to live there.  That's not welfare, that's kickback.  They get the money out of the ground, what better than to give it to The People.

If they need people to live there, I'd give it a shot! Just send me a green card, plzkthnx. I'll swim over the Atlantic and trek across the North American continent if I have to!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2008, 01:36:32 AM »
"Westerner"?  Did you mean West-Coaster?  As far as I'm concerned, from here in Virginia, everyone in Indiana is a Westerner too.

As for "welfare state", that's not a very good description.  Welfare implies money for the worthless, deadbeat, drains on society so that they will vote for your party. 

As I understand Alaska, they have a state full of natural resources but such lousy weather that very few people want to live there.  So the state government pays everyone, man woman and child, equally to live there.  That's not welfare, that's kickback.  They get the money out of the ground, what better than to give it to The People.

If they need people to live there, I'd give it a shot! Just send me a green card, plzkthnx. I'll swim over the Atlantic and trek across the North American continent if I have to!

Alaska's weather is about comparable to that of Sweden, Finland and Norway.

Perfect place for a Viking. grin

The "kickback" is only a thousand dollars a year, though, IIRC.  My college dorm roommate was from Alaska, and mentioned something about that...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2008, 12:55:28 PM »
The Kickback is based on profits from the sales and because the price of Prime AK crude has been waaaay up. The Kickback was a bit higher than 1K.

Viking, It would be faster if you dog sledded over the pole. Or maybe you could snag a reindeer with a sleigh from some dude. I know a guy and he only uses his once a year. Cheesy

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »
How could the governor of Alaska possibly be anything but pro gun.

You obviously have no idea who Steve Cowper or Tony Knowles are. :BLECH: :GAG:
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 11:50:52 AM »
Palin is a "reformer" in Alaska? rolleyes  Isn't that like being called "honest" in Chicago, you just tell fewer lies than the rest of the politicians?

Call it a "kickback", a "bribe to live in that hellhole", a "incentive plan", it's still a check for nothing and is improper on its face.  The handout fosters a culture of corruption and sloth.  I do not trust them, whether Republicans or Democrats they are all on the take out there.  Right, Senator Stevens? laugh

She's not a nutjob?  WTF?  How is she not?  She is a thumper and is against abortion.

I have reservations about her which may be proven incorrect.  Maybe she renounces her check, I don't know.  Wait and see.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2008, 12:02:01 PM »
And, no, I like Southerners just fine.  I just don't like them moving into my neighborhood, flying NASCAR flags and not cutting the grass and then abandoning their home to skip out on the mortgage to return to Viriginia and the f***ing house was empty for 9 months.  If you move up here for the money, there should be a re-education camp on the Ohio where you learn to be responsible for your debts, brush and floss, eat properly and learn to put your handtools in your garage instead of leaning them against the f***ing house like Back Home.  Stop the Yeehaws from turning my neighborhood to crap.

The guy in my neighborhood who has a shark in his window and treats his yard like something out of Close Encounters is a Yankee and I hate him too.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2008, 12:15:45 PM »
Palin is a "reformer" in Alaska? rolleyes  Isn't that like being called "honest" in Chicago, you just tell fewer lies than the rest of the politicians?

Call it a "kickback", a "bribe to live in that hellhole", a "incentive plan", it's still a check for nothing and is improper on its face.  The handout fosters a culture of corruption and sloth.  I do not trust them, whether Republicans or Democrats they are all on the take out there.  Right, Senator Stevens? laugh

She's not a nutjob?  WTF?  How is she not?  She is a thumper and is against abortion.

I have reservations about her which may be proven incorrect.  Maybe she renounces her check, I don't know.  Wait and see.

Would you rather the state government kept the money?
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2008, 12:29:14 PM »
I found the rumored Youtube vid. She's using a rifle training simulator at what is presumably an American Military base in Kuwait.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7UzxXv8p4

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
El T,

Read Alaska's Constitution sometimes, it is the very model of doing it right.

One of the major precepts is that the resources of the State of Alaska are held in Trust by the State for its citizens.

The Permanent Fund dividend was set up in the heady days when the pipeline was built and oil extraction took off.  The state owned lands with oil and sold leases to drill there.  They also tax part of the value of the extracted crude (as it belongs to the state). 

Rather than blow all of that windfall money from the lease sales, a bunch of forward thinkers on both sides of the aisle (which is a narrow asle in AK for the most part) developed a way that that money could be invested for the future costs of government rather than just handed out.

The Permanent Fund is now big enough that it is approaching the point of being able to fund state government in its entirety (which is why we have no state income or sales tax).  To sell the wisdom of "locking up" that money to the citizenry, the Dividend program was developed. 

Basically after reinvestment and inflation proofing of the Fund's investment earnings, a portion is distributed to the citizenry.  It's not a "kickback", it is shareholder dividends from the earnings generated by the investment proceeds of our resources.

The Dividend is based on the market performance of the Fund, not tied to the price of oil.  The yearly tax income goes to the state budget with only a small amount of overage going to the Fund.  That yearly addition is small nowadays when compared to the earnings on the actual investments the fund is made up of.

Because of the booming stock market until recently, and how well the Fund is managed, our checks this year will be the highest ever, around $2,100. 

Also, because of the increased earnings this year caused by higher oil prices, the Governor and State legislature are giving back additional refunds to help folks cope with the higher fuel prices this winter, that will be $1,200.

So on Sept. 12th I and every other qualified Alaskan are getting $3,300.  Because Alaska is an "owner-state" and we are its citizens.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »
Carebear, being an Alaskan, what's your take on Palin?  If you don't mind sharing, that is...
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »
El T,

Read Alaska's Constituion sometimes, it is the very model of doing it right.

One of the major precepts is that the resources of the State of Alaska are held in Trust by the State for its citizens.

The Permanent Fund dividend was set up in the heady days when the pipeline was built and oil extraction took off.  The state owned lands with oil and sold leases to drill there.  They also tax part of the value of the extracted crude (as it belongs to the state). 

Rather than blow all of that windfall money from the lease sales, a bunch of forward thinkers on both sides of the aisle (which is a narrow asle in AK for the most part) developed a way that that money could be invested for the future costs of government rather than just handed out.

The Permanent Fund is now big enough that it is approaching the point of being able to fund state government in its entirety (which is why we have no state income or sales tax).  To sell the wisdom of "locking up" that money to the citizenry, the Dividend program was developed. 

Basically after reinvestment and inflation proofing of the Fund's investment earnings, a portion is distributed to the citizenry.  It's not a "kickback", it is shareholder dividends from the earnings generated by the investment proceeds of our resources.

The Dividend is based on the market performance of the Fund, not tied to the price of oil.  The yearly tax income goes to the state budget with only a small amount of overage going to the Fund.  That yearly addition is small nowadays when compared to the earnings on the actual investments the fund is made up of.

Because of the booming stock market until recently, and how well the Fund is managed, our checks this year will be the highest ever, around $2,100. 

Also, because of the increased earnings this year caused by higher oil prices, the Governor and State legislature are giving back additional refunds to help folks cope with the higher fuel prices this winter, that will be $1,200.

So on Sept. 12th I and every other qualified Alaskan are getting $3,300.  Because Alaska is an "owner-state" and we are its citizens.

That is a brilliant system, really.  I have read your comments on the natives in Alaska previously, and it looks like they did a much better job with setting up native governance than we did down here in the sunny lower 48.

Good government all around-now how did you get it, and how can the rest of us copy? 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2008, 01:24:59 PM »
SS,

Most of the important work was done by real statesmen, not sure if we have their type around anymore.

Xavier,

I like Sarah, I think she's done a good job here and will do a good job as VP.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »
Of course, I left Alaska the year before they starting handing out the dividend checks   undecided
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2008, 05:00:40 PM »
Of course, I left Alaska the year before they starting handing out the dividend checks   undecided

They would have been bigger sooner, but a carpet-bagger strip mall developer sued (on stupid, valid Constitutional grounds) to remove the 10 (5?) year residency requirement that had been selected to reward "real" Alaskans and keep away check-chasers.

The lawsuit took 3 years and ended with just a one year residency requirement to become eligible.

The first check was $1,500, basically 3 years worth, then the amount dropped to $500-ish and has been growing ever since due to the twin miracles of compounding interest and market growth.

alan2

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2008, 06:23:41 PM »
Encouraging photo, but without context, not as useful as it could be.

Possibly off point, but re Schumer and an "assault pistol" I note the lack of eye protection. Not really smart. Another point is or might be the following. If he had his way, how long does anyone think he would allow others the right some would find explicit in the photo?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2008, 06:29:25 PM »
She's wearing glasses, and it uses low-pressure air to simulate recoil and only fires a beam of light.

If you avoid actually poking yourself in the eye, it doesn't get any safer.

-edit-

Oh, sorry, you meant Schumer. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »
Encouraging photo, but without context, not as useful as it could be.

Possibly off point, but re Schumer and an "assault pistol" I note the lack of eye protection. Not really smart. Another point is or might be the following. If he had his way, how long does anyone think he would allow others the right some would find explicit in the photo?

He wouldn't. Except for himself and others like him. Because he's an Elite.