Author Topic: Who gives the better speech?  (Read 9412 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Who gives the better speech?
« on: September 04, 2008, 07:18:45 AM »
Talk radio is reporting that the teleprompter malfed last night at the RNC convention.  Rudy and Sarah both had to give their speeches from memory.

Could Obama do that?  I've seen him without his teleprompter, and it isn't pretty. 

We keep hearing that Obama is a magnificent orator, but is he really?  Is he as good as Sarah?

longeyes

• friend
Re: Who gives the better speech?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 07:25:18 AM »
It depends on whether you prefer Hamlet or Gen. Patton.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 07:27:51 AM »
Obama becomes the Wizard of Uhhhs without his.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
We keep hearing that Obama is a magnificent orator, but is he really?  Is he as good as Sarah?
Who cares?

Hitler would have wiped the floor with both of them.

Oratory skills are pretty low on my radar.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 07:31:45 PM »
It's not that important when you consider that they probably will not say much of substance anyway.  No one actually elaborates a full policy in a stump speech.

But in terms of straight oratorical skill, I'd say it's pretty clearly Obama. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 07:37:03 PM »
It's not that important when you consider that they probably will not say much of substance anyway.  No one actually elaborates a full policy in a stump speech.

He gives prepared stuff well; from what I've seen he sucks hard ex tempore.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »
And who has prettier eyes?

Obama is a very good speaker.  It's a large part of how he elicits such vast emotional reaction.

Sarah does it by posing with a gun.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 04:18:20 AM »
In my opinion, skill at speaking is more than reading well of a teleprompter.  I have heard speeches by politicians before (in a smaller setting) that were off the cuff and not off a teleprompter or cards.  I think that shows more speaking skills than just reading well.  Reading well of a teleprompter qualifies you to be a news anchor, not a President. Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 05:06:19 AM »
Some of y'all don't think that communication skills are important for a President?

Have you been paying any attention to your current President?

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 07:41:40 AM »
Some of y'all don't think that communication skills are important for a President?

Communication is a two way street. 

Public speaking bears more of a resemblance to marketing than it does communication.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 07:44:09 AM »

Have you been paying any attention to your current President?

Especially when you compare him to George Senior, who is probably facepalming every time fumblemouth stumbles his way through a speech.

A lot of the negative approval rating is, I believe, quite due to the fact that Dubya talks like he has a mouthful of pebbles and a hangover.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 08:36:22 AM »
Honestly, GW's speech never phased me much.  It just isn't all that important to me.  I have to admit it does mean more to others and just gives away an avenue for attacks.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 09:39:54 AM »
Honestly, GW's speech never phased me much.  It just isn't all that important to me.  I have to admit it does mean more to others and just gives away an avenue for attacks.

It was just such an absolute contrast when he was speaking right after Blair, especially.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 10:34:53 AM »
I just realized the OP said their entire speeches were done from memory.  That is pretty good.  I guess since it happened to the other guy first she did have a little time to prepare.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 10:37:13 AM »

It was just such an absolute contrast when he was speaking right after Blair, especially.
I am sure it does, but I remember Clinton who was also a good speaker.  He would qualify his statements every time he said he would do something.  It was frustrating talking to people who didn't realize that he was doing it.  Many people lack critical listening skills.  Smiley

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 01:17:12 PM »
I'm going to parrot the remarks of a local talk show host made yesterday.

The front teleprompter was malfunctioning. When it was, previous speakers were looking to the left teleprompter. No doubt the unit was malfunctioning for Palin as well, yet she didn't need it. She already had the speech down pat.

Factor in the point that she had been under relentless media attacks for days about her, her daughter, her newborn baby, her record and everything else. Add to that mix the fact that a poor performance on her part would have sealed McCain's fate. That's a ton of pressure.

Yet she gave a great speech, one that has been described as one of the greatest political speeches in recent history.

I'd say Sarah wins hands-down.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 02:35:34 PM »

I haven't found him to be all that impressive. However, I may be biased since I understand what it is he's trying to sell and nothing he says is any good.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

don

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 06:14:12 PM »
As a former speech teacher, I was very impressed by Palin's delivery. She had to speak without notes for a good part of her speech. The speeches are usually written by professional speech writers, but her line comparing soccer moms to pitbulls was classic and it was hers as far as I know.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 06:22:43 PM »

imagine that?Huh?...... rolleyes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »

You got to be kidding me, right?

He reads nicely off of a teleprompter.

No teleprompter? You've never heard more uhhs and pauses from the town stutterer.

When I see Obama, for some reason, I am reminded of Ron Burgundy from Anchorman, who would read anything, and I mean anything, off of the teleprompter.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 06:25:40 PM »
And who has prettier eyes?

Obama is a very good speaker.  It's a large part of how he elicits such vast emotional reaction.

Sarah does it by posing with a gun.

HUH? I must have missed the AR slung over her shoulder at the convention... '/

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 07:02:56 PM »
Okay, I'll spell it out for you since you seem to be more concerned with obtuse half-clever responses than the substance of my statement:

Palin's image as a gun totin', moose killin' good ole girl is what fuels her drooling fanbase, and leads them to ascribe qualities to her that do not exist, such as being an exceptional speaker, or a qualified candidate for the Presidency.  Her shrill clacking pompous jocularity is in no way endearing or indicative of a good public speaker, and buzzes in my head like the screams of a Lovecraftian octopus god.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Her shrill clacking pompous jocularity is in no way endearing or indicative of a good public speaker, and buzzes in my head like the screams of a Lovecraftian octopus god.

<off-topic>
Best. Metaphor. Ever.  Dntsycnt for the win!
</off-topic>

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 07:19:51 PM »
I liked her speech. I liked Fred Thompson's speech too.

Liberals and demorats won't like either.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 07:33:01 PM »
Okay, I'll spell it out for you since you seem to be more concerned with obtuse half-clever responses than the substance of my statement:

Palin's image as a gun totin', moose killin' good ole girl is what fuels her drooling fanbase, and leads them to ascribe qualities to her that do not exist, such as being an exceptional speaker, or a qualified candidate for the Presidency.  Her shrill clacking pompous jocularity is in no way endearing or indicative of a good public speaker, and buzzes in my head like the screams of a Lovecraftian octopus god.

Still figuring Ron Paul can somehow wrest the nomination?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.