Author Topic: DILEMMA: OPRAH BALKS AT HOSTING SARAH PALIN; STAFF DIVIDED  (Read 8097 times)

Desertdog

• friends
DILEMMA: OPRAH BALKS AT HOSTING SARAH PALIN; STAFF DIVIDED
« on: September 05, 2008, 04:22:17 AM »
If she doesn't invite her on, it may cause a big backlash from the conservatives that watch her show.  For me, it really does't make that much difference since I dont watch her show anyway.

DILEMMA: OPRAH BALKS AT HOSTING SARAH PALIN; STAFF DIVIDED
http://drudgereport.com/flash3os.htm

Oprah Winfrey may have introduced Democrat Barack Obama to the women of America -- but the talkshow queen is not rushing to embrace the first woman on a Republican presidential ticket!

Oprah's staff is sharply divided on the merits of booking Sarah Palin, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

"Half of her staff really want Sarah Palin her on," an insider explains. "Oprah's website is getting tons of requests to put her on, but Oprah and a couple of her top people are adamantly against it because of Obama."

One executive close to Winfrey is warning any Palin ban could ignite a dramatic backlash!

It is not clear if Oprah has softened her position after watching Palin's historic convention speech.

Last year, Winfrey blocked an appearance by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, timed to a promotional tour of his autobiography.

Oprah and executive producer Sheri Salata, who has contributed thousands of dollars to Obama's campaign, refused requests for comment.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: DILEMMA: OPRAH BALKS AT HOSTING SARAH PALIN; STAFF DIVIDED
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 04:31:15 AM »
I think this would be a very easy lawsuit to win for RNC and Palin becasue of the Fairness Doctrine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairness_Doctrine

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:33:41 AM »
I really don't care what Oprah does.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:37:53 AM »
I think it is really better for our side if she is seen as refusing to grant equal time.

Her show has lost popularity, possibly due to her previous rabid support of BHO. I don't know if BHO's people told her to cool it, or her business advisers did.

On top of that, Oprah runs a very tightly scripted show. She is no better without a teleprompter than BHO is. BHO would stick to the script. I doubt the good governor would.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 04:39:12 AM »
I think this would be a very easy lawsuit to win for RNC and Palin becasue of the Fairness Doctrine.

I don't think the Fairness doctrine is currently on the books.  Obama wants to bring it back though....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 04:40:37 AM »

I don't think the Fairness doctrine is currently on the books.  Obama wants to bring it back though....

The way I understand it, it is still there but I don't think anyone or the FCC challenges/uses it anymore.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:49:41 AM »
I doubt Oprah is concerned about Conservatives -- even women -- being the foundation of her show.
Zeke

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 05:07:22 AM »
I know the Fairness Doctrine is off the books, but isn't there something that states that radio and TV have to give equal time to oppossing political parties?  That would be equal time for McCain as for Obama, but not necessarily for Palin.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 05:10:43 AM »
I want to see gov Palin offer to take Oprah to the range!  grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 05:18:33 AM »
Operah does not need to go to the firing range, I would guess she has more paid guns around her than you do.  Probably paid by the stations, not herself.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 05:19:44 AM »
Operah does not need to go to the firing range, I would guess she has more paid guns around her than you do.  Probably paid by the stations, not herself.

Yeah but I don't need to have paid guns.  I know how to use my own.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 05:29:12 AM »
I know the Fairness Doctrine is off the books, but isn't there something that states that radio and TV have to give equal time to oppossing political parties?  That would be equal time for McCain as for Obama, but not necessarily for Palin.
Fairmess doctrine = communism. The Oprah show is a PRIVATELY OWNED operation. She can do whatever she wants on her show.
We DO NOT want the fariness doctrine reintroduced.
We do not want the government telling us what we can or can not listen to or watch or telling privately owned operations what they have to broadcast.
There is already a requirement for a certain amount of public service air time and that is plenty.

And I would actually hope Palin would decline an invitation from that bloated sanctimonious windbag anyway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 05:31:01 AM »
Last thing we want is for someone to force their way on to a show by pleading for fairness. Obama can take that fairness doctrine and... I really don't want to listen to Air America/MSNBC or whatever they call it these days. Now you think news outlets would be a little more level. Excluding Keith Olbermann of course. From http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com is a list of their blog post categories.
 No disparity there...

Categories

* Barack Obama (2495)
    * Hillary Clinton (1872)
    * John McCain (1550)
    * Iowa (544)
    * Mitt Romney (486)
    * New Hampshire (485)
    * South Carolina (422)
    * Race to '08 (385)
    * Mike Huckabee (345)
    * John Edwards (339)
    * Rudy Giuliani (338)
    * President Bush (301)

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 05:33:55 AM »
And to Oprah, kinda sucks when you are playing identity politics and get confused. Lessee here, am I a woman, a black woman, a democrat, just plain black, or a rich Chicago gangster. Of course for O that is easy, she can satisfy the majority of her identities with one big empty suit. Most of her loyal viewers though carry the primary identifier of woman pretty close.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 06:35:52 AM »
Dumb move on Oprah's part.  If she's wants Obama to win, then put Palin on the show and make her look bad.  If Oprah plays it right, she could completely turn women against Palin.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 06:44:04 AM »
Dumb move on Oprah's part.  If she's wants Obama to win, then put Palin on the show and make her look bad.  If Oprah plays it right, she could completely turn women against Palin.

Oprah and her show format is way too invested in her neo-feminist zen of feel-good to do any kind attack or ambush interview. Her own brand comes before her allegince to BHO, and it would be at complete odds with the air of the "has-it-all older-sister you're secretly jealous of but love too much to care" she cultivates with her core audience.

The problem for Oprah is a huge Catch-22. She puts Palin on, she gives a HUGE stage to a very beautiful, charismatic, and inherently likeable woman and puts her in front of an audience of millions of squishy emotive women who vote thier "feelings" and not party line or policy. She refuses to seat Palin, and the scandal only deepens the Hillary supporter/BHO rift that arguably STARTED on the Oprah show and her website chat forums when she made the big BHO endorsment in the first place.
I promise not to duck.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 06:48:56 AM »
If Oprah was white and had had McCain on and then refused to put Obama on she'd be accused of racisim.

But she's not and she won't even though she obviously is!

It never ceases to amaze how popular she is. What's the allure?
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 06:49:21 AM »
Yep, she ticked off about half of her audience when she dissed Hillary for BHO.  Another snub to Palin and she'll PO even more of her audience.

If the middle class women who watch her show, buy her books, magazines and other stuff get the impression that she's not so much women focused as race focused she could be going over the tipping point and begin her (financial) death spiral.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 06:55:51 AM »
If Oprah was white and had had McCain on and then refused to put Obama on she'd be accused of racisim.

But she's not and she won't even though she obviously is!
Only if she was a white conservative or Republican.  White or black Democrat would not hear a charge of raceism no matter what they did.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 07:12:48 AM »
Yep, she ticked off about half of her audience when she dissed Hillary for BHO.  Another snub to Palin and she'll PO even more of her audience.

If the middle class women who watch her show, buy her books, magazines and other stuff get the impression that she's not so much women focused as race focused she could be going over the tipping point and begin her (financial) death spiral.......

Let's hope. That woman is a cult leader.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 07:35:31 AM »
Yep, she ticked off about half of her audience when she dissed Hillary for BHO.  Another snub to Palin and she'll PO even more of her audience.

Let's hope. That woman is a cult leader.

She is apparently losing viewers due to her excessively touchy-feely "all religions are the same" thing with new-agey slow-talking cult people babbling all the time. She's totally obsessed with it.

Ever hear any of the commercials for her "experts" she has? It's all platitudes and double-ended, meaningless "truths" that remind me of the Sphinx character in Mystery Men.

Like "To learn teachings, you must be taught how to learn", that kind of nonsense. And she is absolutely "Wow, that's soooooooo deep" about that sort of thing.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 08:14:18 AM »
Ever wonder what David Koresh would look like as a fat black woman?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »
..but ..but ..but

This has to be a lie because there's no bias in the entertainment industry, right?  Wink

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
Ever hear any of the commercials for her "experts" she has? It's all platitudes and double-ended, meaningless "truths" that remind me of the Sphinx character in Mystery Men.

Like "To learn teachings, you must be taught how to learn", that kind of nonsense. And she is absolutely "Wow, that's soooooooo deep" about that sort of thing.

I would like to state for the record that Mystery Men was one of the great parodies. 

And that Ben Stiller played a near-autobiographical role as a wanna-be hero whose only power is flailing, impotent frustration.

That is all.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »
According to Shepard Smith, Studio B With Shepard Smith, FNC, 12:00PM PDT, Oprah "would love to have Sarah Palin on her show AFTER the election."