Author Topic: What Percentage of Gun Forum Threads Are Worthwhile?  (Read 2528 times)

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
What Percentage of Gun Forum Threads Are Worthwhile?
« on: September 25, 2005, 05:14:23 PM »
Having been on a few fora for a while I am noticing a depressing sameness about the posts.
How many "what would you have done" scenarios can you read?
How many "Smith L-frame vs. Ruger GP100" threads are there floating through cyberspace?
How many '2A Is Our Right" threads do we really need out there and what can be said that hasnt been said already?
What do you tell the 100th guy "considering my first revolver"?
What advice is there for "wife/GF wants first gun" that hasnt been posted a gazillion times already?
What do you tell the Mall Ninja wondering "how many loaded mags do I need when SHTF"?
I think the last straw for me was the one about taking a gun into a shower.  Some people thought it was a great idea.  Some people should put their gun where it is always accesible.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 05:22:47 PM »
So what is your idea of a "fresh" thread?

Here's an idea.  Quit reading the threads you find "redundant".

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 05:52:05 PM »
Actually...

I have always conducted more "firearm related" stuff off- forum.  I still communicate via email , telephone and some PM about my questions , or responding to questions. I have a group of folks I stay in contact with - and they with me.

I have always spent time using the Search function. Why tonight I looked up Mike Irwin in a search for some revolver information I needed. Many times when I have the time and need the mental break from everything else, I pick a poster, and read their posts.

Art, pax, Tamara, Irwin, CRSam, labgrade, Kentucky Rifle, Gabe McMillian...etc.

I also noticed today some new references and tools in the Libraries, I have spent time just learning from various sites.

I have not posted at THR in I do not know when. Most posts  are here, or TFL. I do have other places I am a member.

I have a lot to do and my time is valuable. The reality is, I guess I finally got the feel of forums, and such. These are like references for me. Forums existed before I participated, and they will be around when I am gone.

Not just forums, seems a lot of folks do not want to check resources ,or do a search before posting a question. I see this with my classes and students asking questions in Help section of WebCT. Heck they won't even read the class syllabus, too easy to just post in the class forum, or send an email to someone to find what is due when.

I see students too impatient to turn on a computer in a lab, will change to one already on.

Folks are in hurry going nowhere it seems. Don't know if just the times, how kids raised, the various Storms that  have hit - or what.

There is percentage of folks that just want attention.

I would say all forums are worthwhile. One learns from mistakes , from finding out a  forum does not have what they want, or even if visiting a site 180* from personal views - something is learned. Learning is worthwhile.

Only problem I really have, some folks I do not have thier email, some are not members at TFL so I cannot communicate with them via PM.  

I'm probably wrong tho'...

onions!

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 07:46:14 PM »
Quote from: sm
I see students too impatient to turn on a computer in a lab, will change to one already on.
That is so true for so many things.

On the subject of the constant rehash of certain topics(my hi-point takes loads that'd destroy your Sig-that's a good one,no?Smiley).It's my opinion that there are only so many things that can be discussed.W/what?20,000 odd members?There are likely few firearms topics that we can all relate to.If there were more world traveling hunters or more folks had FA guns there would be more topics.Those are just a few that come to mind.

About the folks who are unable/unwilling to use "search"?Well I'd say that some just don't *think* before they post,others are lazy,a few are looking for a quick answer-they aren't lazy,they probably just feel that they are too busy to look themselves(see sm's quote).Others are just stupid.Watcha gonna do,eh?

OTOH,I thought that the orginal Roundtable was an excellent idea.We all have something other than guns in our lives.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 07:47:39 PM »
Zero
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 04:27:20 AM »
Redundancy on a forum is the natural course of things. When I joined THR nigh onto 2 years ago everything was new. I posted quite prolifically and read every thread.

Now...
I read maybe every 5th thread and post maybe 3 or 4 times a week. On threads that remind me of questions I once had I make it a point to respond with what ever help I can if that help hasn't yet been posted. After all fair is fair and it is only right to give back what once one took.

It may not be new to us but it is new to someone.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 04:42:43 AM »
the word "gun" in this sentence is not needed. hell. "forum threads" aren't needed either. the majority of everything is redundant, online or offline.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 05:16:43 AM »
Werewolf nailed it.

Chris

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005, 07:24:33 AM »
Werewolf +1.  Isn't that why we gravitate to Roundtable (now APS) topics that are either funny, address a need, or address a social topic that has been on our minds?
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Justin

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 07:47:07 AM »
Waitasec, you're just now realizing that the internet is a place where people come to waste time?  Tongue
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

griz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 08:03:54 AM »
My pet peeves to add to the list:

1. How many grains of XYZ powder will work best in my ABC gun?
2. I under stand I can only shoot people in self defence, but is it OK to shoot some loudmouth if they REALLY make me mad?

It has already been covered, but maybe it is a natural progression. At first it's all new and interesting, then gradually a lot of the questions seem like variations on a theme. Anyway the answer for me right now is 20%, and yes I enjoy the irony that somebody is bored by this post. Wink
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.