Author Topic: Words of wisdom from Charles Bronson  (Read 2616 times)

The Annoyed Man

Words of wisdom from Charles Bronson
« on: September 22, 2008, 12:42:29 PM »
Just re-watched Deathwish, starring Charles Bronson.

There is a sequence in the movie where he is talking to his son-in-law.

What about the old American practice of self defense?

Dad, we're not pioneers anymore.

Then what are we?

Huh?

What do you call a people who when faced with a condition of fear, do not defend themselves, but run and hide?

Civilized, I guess.

(Bronson then goes out every night and gets mugged, but kills the muggers)

Kind of a poignant scene. If you havent seen this movie, you might want to rent it!

Pb

• friend
Re: Words of wisdom from Charles Bronson
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »
I do like the ending...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 02:22:41 PM »
It was also educational how the police couldn't put any effort into stopping the criminals, but they moved heaven and earth to find the "vigilante". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 03:52:48 PM »
It was also educational how the police couldn't put any effort into stopping the criminals, but they moved heaven and earth to find the "vigilante". 

Art imitates life.
Some things never change.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 05:17:02 PM »
Now I have to watch this, been years since I’ve seen it. The general lawlessness used to seem dated for New York recently, but I guess we are basically back that 70s level of violence in NYC.

I think it was the 3rd movie in the series, but I actually have a Wildey partially due to this series of movies. The family friend I got it from bought it because of the movie, when he was looking for a new home for it awhile back he gave me a good deal and I couldn’t resist.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 05:29:58 PM »
The biggest problem rewatching those movies is the trajedy that always happens in the first half that sets up the action.  They didn't cut corners on how cruel the criminals could be.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 08:39:29 PM »
There is a YouTube channel called Razerfist. In his earlier days he reviewed movies like this, the Dirty Harry movies, some Chuck Norris movies, etc. He did all the of the Charles Bronson Death Wish movies. His reviews are very entertaining. Ended up watching some movies I hadn't seen before because of them.

Now I have to watch this, been years since I’ve seen it. The general lawlessness used to seem dated for New York recently, but I guess we are basically back that 70s level of violence in NYC.

I think it was the 3rd movie in the series, but I actually have a Wildey partially due to this series of movies. The family friend I got it from bought it because of the movie, when he was looking for a new home for it awhile back he gave me a good deal and I couldn’t resist.

Big reason why I want to add one to my collection.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 08:45:07 PM »
So, uh, welcome to APS, The Annoyed Man.

What is annoying you?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 08:51:29 PM »

Still, I'm gonna have to watch Death Wish again.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 08:55:11 PM »
I'm happy someone else noticed.   :rofl:
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 10:03:51 PM »
This thread has been dead for so long it's voted straight democrat in 3 elections
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 12:02:02 AM »
Indeed.

Reminds me of the real life case back around 1980 when a serial killer was murdering children in Atlanta. Police seemed helpless to find him, but as groups of parents were gathering together to walk their kids to school while armed with baseball bats and such, the police expended MORE resources harassing these "vigilantes" than they did looking for the serial killer.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 03:13:31 AM »
Indeed.

Reminds me of the real life case back around 1980 when a serial killer was murdering children in Atlanta. Police seemed helpless to find him, but as groups of parents were gathering together to walk their kids to school while armed with baseball bats and such, the police expended MORE resources harassing these "vigilantes" than they did looking for the serial killer.

Not by accident or happenstance either...

So long as a high profile serial killer is on the loose it’s free publicity and an easy justification for “emergency funding measures” for the city .gov “making every effort to stop him” even though they aren’t.

But if a peon parent had gotten the chance to bean the *expletive deleted*ck and stop it all would have been highly embarrassing to an incompetent and incorrigibly corrupt city government. Can’t have that.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

JN01

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2020, 09:22:46 AM »
So, uh, welcome to APS, The Annoyed Man.

What is annoying you?

Apparently, APS, since it took 12 years to respond to his only post.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 09:28:10 AM »
Holy Thread Necro, Batman.

Never saw any of the movies, but did read the novel it was based on.  Oddly dated in time, it had the main character flying down to Texas*, buying a handgun, and flying with it back to NYC.  <sigh>.  It was a .32 S&W, IIRC.

---edit to add---
I may mis-remember that it was Texas.  

Any buying a gun just anywhere, not just your home state, was a pre-GCA68 thing.   Or the author may just not have known gun law.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:58:55 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 10:09:05 AM »
Apparently, APS, since it took 12 years to respond to his only post.
He used to be a pretty prolific poster back in the day.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 12:15:14 PM »
Holy Thread Necro, Batman.

Never saw any of the movies, but did read the novel it was based on.  Oddly dated in time, it had the main character flying down to Texas, buying a handgun, and flying with it back to NYC.  <sigh>.  It was a .32 S&W, IIRC.

Yea,  in the movie he got a handgun on an airplane pretty easily,  as I recall. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2020, 12:32:00 PM »
IIRC they started installing metal detectors at airports in the early 70s.
Of course Glock then came out with the Glock 7. You know, the porcelain gun made in Germany that doesn't show up on airport x-ray machines and cost more than you make in a month.

Yep, 1972 https://www.pti-world.com/airport-metal-detectors-history/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 12:32:25 PM »
Yea,  in the movie he got a handgun on an airplane pretty easily,  as I recall. 

Before hijackings started in earnest in the late sixties and early seventies, you could take darn near anything on an airplane.  There was no security theater before all that started.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »
I'm happy someone else noticed.   :rofl:

Oh, I knew it was an old thread... but the gif was good not to post! :cool:

Pb

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »
Before hijackings started in earnest in the late sixties and early seventies, you could take darn near anything on an airplane.  There was no security theater before all that started.

Yup... I recall reading a Small Arms Review article about when they first started cracking down on airplane security... they made them unload the machine guns they had in their carry on baggage!

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 05:25:05 PM »
He checked the bag with the firearm. I don’t recall if it was Texas, but probably, for some reason I think outside  Vegas, but there were cattle and I don’t know if they raise cattle outside Vegas area back then or not, or today for that matter. A housing development guy he was working with gave him the gun as a present. The guy specifically asked him if he was checking his bag when he gave him the gun. It was wrapped like a present. I don’t recall if he knew what was in the boxes until he got back to NYC. I think it was gun and ammo wrapped separately.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 06:40:40 PM »
Early  80s, I flew from Colorado to NYC with a declared gun in my baggage with no problem except the baggage got sent to Boston by mistake

Airline paid for some necessaries such as underwear and socks and a toothbrush and I got a call that the bag had been found.  I was staying with some nieces and the bag was delivered to the front door.

Gun was untouched and intact but my hard-core liberal New York neices were a bit frazzled  over the fact that I had a gun in my luggage.  Honestly, it was like they were afraid the gun would leap out of the luggage, load itself, aim itself at them, and shoot them all by its lonesome.

I soft-pedaled the gun stuff with them after that, but they still think  I'm that crazy uncle from Colorado.

All true, I guess:  uncle, crazy, and from Colorado.

Terry, 230RN

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 06:50:06 PM »

Gun was untouched and intact but my hard-core liberal New York neices were a bit frazzled  over the fact that I had a gun in my luggage.  Honestly, it was like they were afraid the gun would leap out of the luggage, load itself, aim itself at them, and shoot them all by its lonesome.

Gun violence!
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2020, 02:24:56 PM »
I kind of remember an article by Elmer Keith mentioning that he liked double express rifles, because you could break them down into a package you could carry on to the airplane and keep them in the cabin with you so they wouldn't get lost.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain