Author Topic: Pending lawsuit regarding THR (Updated November 1, 2009)  (Read 150147 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: Pending lawsuit regarding THR - message reposted via Oleg's blog.
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 08:13:31 PM »
Well, *expletive deleted*it.  I never read much of Derek's stuff, but I had a degree of respect for John Shirley.  Even used to read his blog a bit.  Not anymore.

Good luck Oleg.  I wish I could contribute, but I'm a bit financially disadvantaged at the moment myself, so I guess my well wishes will have to do.  sad
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 08:16:31 PM »
I don't understand what's going on with DZ, but you've got my support, Volk. I definitely do not want to see APS or THR disappear. Their value will never decrease as far as I'm concerned. Really valuable tools in the firearms and civil rights communities.

Take care, man. It doesn't sound like you're losing your cool at all, but let me know if I should send kava.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 08:29:36 PM »
When I wake up tomorrow:

1. This thread will be gone

2. THR will be a regular disco-ball of banner ads with zombie moderators
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 08:32:01 PM »
I got really depressed after getting the boot from THR, lots of people like
me really only have their love of gun activism to get through some of life's
curve balls.
I will be getting back on my feet soon-hopefully I can kick in a few bucks.
I pray though that its not necessary to  go to court and it can go back to friends helping friends.
thr-gunsmith.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

evan price

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 08:39:11 PM »
 sad

Just freaking swell. One of the best firearms stops on the 'net laid low by stupidity & greed.

They banned me on TFL for arguing about the NRA (I realize I was in the wrong and joined the NRA) so I guess that's all she wrote for me.

Thanks, Derek.

*expletive deleted*bag.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »
If APS goes away I will cry. Where's my checkbook.......
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 09:18:55 PM »
If APS goes down or is otherwise screwed with, I propose we all meet at thefiringline.com, to figure out what to do next.  Without APS, we have no way of keeping in touch.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 09:20:51 PM »
This is crazy, Sad Even though I'm not doing to well on money I will try to send a few bucks your way.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 09:24:29 PM »
If APS goes down or is otherwise screwed with, I propose we all meet at thefiringline.com, to figure out what to do next.

No thanks. Tongue

Someplace new, sure.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 09:25:33 PM »
temporarily, until we get something else sorter out, so the group doesn't fall apart.  How about Glocktalk, or calguns.net then? Some place we can all agree to meet to work this out.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »
If APS goes down or is otherwise screwed with, I propose we all meet at thefiringline.com, to figure out what to do next.

No thanks. Tongue

Someplace new, sure.

What issue do you have with TFL? We need someplace to go, and TFL is well known.....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »

No thanks. Tongue

Someplace new, sure.

What issue do you have with TFL? We need someplace to go, and TFL is well known.....

You think THR is the only place that has mods with issues who have knocked people off for petty politics? I'll leave it at that.

I would think one of the "set up free board" things might suffice temporarily. Yahoo used to absolutely blow, is there anything better now?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 09:32:02 PM »
I may have a domain that I can set simple machines up on.  It's a business one that I own that is not getting much business (actually zero at the moment).  I'll check tomorrow when I get home from work.  It would give us a temporary place to go until this gets sorted out.  Perhaps we could port the existing APS db over to it.  I don't know a lot about how to do it, actually, so some assistance would be required.
Would that be acceptable to Oleg and Co., and everyone else?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »
I just had a quick email conversation with Oleg.  He owns the APS domain name, so if APS goes down, he will move us to another place.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 09:32:46 PM »
If APS is closed, I simply re-point the registry to another server. So it will be back.

Derek locked me and everyone else off the server though, so APS db is a hostage, same as THR db.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 09:35:07 PM »
If APS is closed, I simply re-point the registry to another server. So it will be back.

Derek locked me and everyone else off the server though, so APS db is a hostage, same as THR db.

Coolness. Smiley Thanks for your effort in this, I was going to send along a donation tomorrow.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »
deleted - we still have standards here at APS...
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

PTK

• friends
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2008, 12:44:26 AM »
Nothing is ever simple.  undecided
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2008, 01:17:23 AM »
cleaned up

angel

Deleted to take the High Road.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2008, 01:42:03 AM »
Gents (and Ladies, and Fistful  grin),

OV will have his hands full....in the event that this site goes down, you can email me at:

mrgoldblatt@yahoo.com.

I will give whatever updates I have....

Oleg- feel free to use me as an info source as needed...

I will state publically and for the record that I side with Oleg on this.
One day at a time.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Re: *** Pending lawsuit regarding THR - message reposted via Oleg's blog.***
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2008, 01:55:45 AM »
Sorry to hear what's going on with my 2 favorite sites. I'm with Oleg on this one. Funds on the way to support the cause.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2008, 02:00:18 AM »
Un-effin' believable...  rolleyes

Derek went pirate. How old is he?

Kinda broke myself right now so I'll hold back in reserve for the moment and see how things go but if funds are needed down the way I'll scrounge something together.

Falade@snet.net

First name Mark.  smiley

Avoid cliches like the plague!

hso

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2008, 03:06:41 AM »
John Shirley is the only one who sided with Derek. He claims that I  can't be trusted with the welfare of The High Road.

A couple are waiting on the side-lines. The rest (20+) are with me.

The questions and answers are more complex than that.  This has been going on in the background for nearly two months and the debate has gone from lively to ugly. Who's siding with who depends upon which of the myriad questions is being asked. The discussion has turned acrimonious and has resulted in some Mods saying it's a private matter between Oleg and Derek and withdrawing from the discussion to do their "jobs" until a resolution comes about.  A couple of Mods have resigned. 

Certainly, almost all of the Staff thinks Derek should transfer complete control of THR to Oleg, but there are layers beyond that where not everyone agrees.  Plenty of folks shouting past each other.

In my opinion complete trust in anyone no longer exists amongst the Staff at THR.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2008, 03:27:56 AM »
cleaned up

Interesting? Maybe. However, I don't think it would be a good idea to stir the pot any more than necessary. Oleg is handling it and I think harassing Derek will only make it tougher for him.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TexasRifleman

• friend
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2008, 03:36:07 AM »
Interesting? Maybe. However, I don't think it would be a good idea to stir the pot any more than necessary. Oleg is handling it and I think harassing Derek will only make it tougher for him.

If his plan is to place banner ads and make some money, he needs to know he won't have many customers.  Even if Oleg can't get the THR name back the site will sink pretty quickly without him and many others that would leave. 

No members, no ad click through revenue.

Should see if Derek will just sell the domain name for a flat price.  Be easier for him than going to court if all he wants to do is line his pockets.

I've been on THR pretty much from day one and I don't think I ever saw Derek post a single thing about firearms or 2A anyway.