Author Topic: Enough is Enough Dept. - Debate Mod Gwen Infill's in the tank for Obama  (Read 9992 times)

longeyes

• friend
If McCain doesn't protest and refuse to participate he is useless.

ELECTION 2008
VP debate moderator Ifill releasing pro-Obama book
Focuses on blacks who are 'forging a bold new path to political power'
Posted: September 30, 2008
8:35 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh
? 2008 WorldNetDaily

Gwen Ifill
The moderator of Thursday's vice-presidential debate is writing a book to come out about the time the next president takes the oath of office that aims to "shed new light" on Democratic candidate Barack Obama and other "emerging young African American politicians" who are "forging a bold new path to political power."

Gwen Ifill, of the Public Broadcasting Service program "Washington Week," is promoting "The Breakthrough," in which she argues the "black political structure" of the civil rights movement is giving way to men and women who have benefited from the struggles over racial equality.

Ifill declined to return a WND telephone message asking for a comment about her book project and whether its success would be expected should Obama lose. But she has faced criticism previously for not treating candidates of both major parties the same.

During a a vice-presidential candidate debate she moderated in 2004, when Democrat John Edwards attacked Dick Cheney's former employer, Halliburton, the vice president said, "I can respond, Gwen, but it's going to take more than 30 seconds."

"Well, that's all you've got," she told him.

Ifill told the Associated Press Democrats were delighted with her answer, because they "thought I was being snippy to Cheney." She explained that wasn't her intent.

But she also was cited in complaints PBS Ombudsman Michael Getler said he received after Palin delivered her nomination acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn., this year.

Some viewers complained of a "dismissive" look by Ifill during her report on Palin's speech. According to Getler, some also said she wore a look of "disgust" while reporting on Palin.

At that time she said, "I assume there will always be critics and just shut out the noise. It is surprisingly easy."

Ifill, who also works with her network's "NewsHour," is making preparations to moderate this week's debate between the two candidates for vice president, Democratic Sen. Joe Biden and Republican Gov. Sarah Palin.. She told BlackAmericaWeb.com she thinks debates "are the best opportunity most voters have to see the candidates speaking to issues."

She said she is concerned only about getting straight answers from candidates.

"You do your best to get candidates to answer your question. But I also trust the viewers to understand when questions are not answered and reach their own conclusions," Ifill told BlackAmericaWeb.

"Four years ago, when neither John Edwards nor Dick Cheney proved capable of answering a question about the domestic epidemic of AIDS among African-American women, viewers flooded me with reaction," she said.

She said she will make her own decisions about what questions to ask, adding "the big questions matter."

In the Amazon.com promotion for her book, Ifill is described as "drawing on interviews with power brokers," such as Obama and former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

In an online video promoting her book, she is enthusiastic about "taking the story of Barack Obama and extending it."

It focuses on four people, "one of them Barack Obama of course," she said.

"They are changing our politics and changing our nation," she said.

On Amazon.com, Ifill is praised for her "incisive, detailed profiles of such prominent leaders as Newark Mayor Cory booker, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, and U.S. Congressman Artur Davis of Alabama."

"Ifill shows why this is a pivotal moment in American history," the review says.

She told AP her view of Obama: "I still don't know if he'll be a good president."

She also describes how she met him at the 2004 Democratic convention and since then has interviewed the Illinois senator and his family.

She also boasted that by the time of the debate, "I'll be a complete expert on both" Palin and Biden.

The debate will be held at Washington University in St. Louis, which has posted information about the evening's events online.

Ifill's profile there describes her as a longtime correspondent and moderator for national news programs and includes her service as moderator of the 2004 debate between Edwards and Cheney.

However, there's no mention of her upcoming book. Nor does the website for the Commission on Presidential Debates, which is organizing the meetings of the candidates, mention her book.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 08:47:20 PM »
Softballs for Biden, hardballs for Palin

Focuses on blacks who are 'forging a bold new path to political power'
By Bob Unruh
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=76645

The moderator of Thursday's vice-presidential debate is writing a book to come out about the time the next president takes the oath of office that aims to "shed new light" on Democratic candidate Barack Obama and other "emerging young African American politicians" who are "forging a bold new path to political power."

Gwen Ifill of the Public Broadcasting Service program "Washington Week" is promoting "The Breakthrough," in which she argues the "black political structure" of the civil rights movement is giving way to men and women who have benefited from the struggles over racial equality.

Ifill declined to return a WND telephone message asking for a comment about her book project and whether its success would be expected should Obama lose. But she has faced criticism previously for not treating candidates of both major parties the same.

During a vice-presidential candidate debate she moderated in 2004  when Democrat John Edwards attacked Republican Dick Cheney's former employer, Halliburton  the vice president said, "I can respond, Gwen, but it's going to take more than 30 seconds."

"Well, that's all you've got," she told Cheney.

Ifill told the Associated Press Democrats were delighted with her answer, because they "thought I was being snippy to Cheney." She explained that wasn't her intent.

But she also was cited in complaints PBS Ombudsman Michael Getler said he received after Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin delivered her nomination acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn., earlier this month.

Some viewers complained of a "dismissive" look by Ifill during her report on Palin's speech. According to Getler, some also said she wore a look of "disgust" while reporting on the Republican candidate.

At that time she said, "I assume there will always be critics and just shut out the noise. It is surprisingly easy."

Ifill, who also works with her network's "NewsHour," is making preparations to moderate this week's debate between the two candidates for vice president, Palin and Democratic Sen. Joe Biden.. She told BlackAmericaWeb.com she thinks debates "are the best opportunity most voters have to see the candidates speaking to issues."

She said she is concerned only about getting straight answers from candidates.

"You do your best to get candidates to answer your question. But I also trust the viewers to understand when questions are not answered and reach their own conclusions," Ifill told BlackAmericaWeb.

"Four years ago, when neither John Edwards nor Dick Cheney proved capable of answering a question about the domestic epidemic of AIDS among African-American women, viewers flooded me with reaction," she said.

She said she will make her own decisions about what questions to ask, adding "the big questions matter."

In the Amazon.com promotion for her book, Ifill is described as "drawing on interviews with power brokers," such as Obama and former Secretary of State Colin Powell.

In an online video promoting her book, she is enthusiastic about "taking the story of Barack Obama and extending it."

It focuses on four people, "one of them Barack Obama of course," she said.

"They are changing our politics and changing our nation," she said.

On Amazon.com, Ifill is praised for her "incisive, detailed profiles of such prominent leaders as Newark Mayor Cory Booker, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, and U.S. Congressman Artur Davis of Alabama."

"Ifill shows why this is a pivotal moment in American history," the review says.

She told AP her view of Obama: "I still don't know if he'll be a good president."

She also describes how she met him at the 2004 Democratic convention and since then has interviewed the Illinois senator and his family.

She also boasted that by the time of the debate, "I'll be a complete expert on both" Palin and Biden.

The debate will be held at Washington University in St. Louis, which has posted information about the evening's events online.

Ifill's profile there describes her as a longtime correspondent and moderator for national news programs and includes her service as moderator of the 2004 debate between Edwards and Cheney.

However, there's no mention of her upcoming book. Nor does the website for the Commission on Presidential Debates, which is organizing the meetings of the candidates, mention her book.

longeyes

• friend
Re: VP debate moderator Ifill releasing pro-Obama book
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »
I started the same thread on the politics side.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 08:57:57 PM »
I didn't think they would leave there, so I didn't go there.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »
Well, if that's not political I don' t know what is.

Anyway, what matters is that people read about and understand the gravity of it.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
Re: Enough is Enough Dept. - Debate Mod Gwen Infill's in the tank for Obama
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:15:24 PM »
She is a professional "journalist" and is therefore quite able to turn her prejudices on and off.  She does not have to worry about injecting her opinion into her performance as a moderator because she is a "professional journalist".  Ya see, "professional journalists" are not like all these buck tooth, mouth-breathing radio talk show hosts.  A "professional journalist" can separate her passions from her profession at the drop of a dime (well, maybe not a dime.  Maybe a couple of grand). 

Longeyes I just don't see the problem.  A conflict of interest simply can not arise since we're talkin' a "professional journalist".

In case you haven't figgered out, this is a another set up which the republicans have evidently contracted with democrats to accept.  I can think of no other reason for their repeated stupidity.  You don't get that stupid by accident or genetics.  They have to be paid for it.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 03:03:59 AM »
I can think of no other reason for their repeated stupidity.  You don't get that stupid by accident or genetics.  They have to be paid for it.

The last refuge of a scoundrel is... uh... Well, heck. New Jersey, maybe?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 03:47:18 AM »
In case you haven't figgered out, this is a another set up which the republicans have evidently contracted with democrats to accept.  I can think of no other reason for their repeated stupidity.  You don't get that stupid by accident or genetics.  They have to be paid for it.
Ann Coulter did refer to the GOP as The Stupid Party.

I think set-ups like this occur because the GOP is riddled with closet liberals whose real agenda is closer to that of the Democrats than to the "official" GOP platform.

And . . . once again, it's looking like McCain really doesn't want to win.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 04:19:27 AM »
Longeyes I just don't see the problem.  A conflict of interest simply can not arise since we're talkin' a "professional journalist".
rolleyes

But it isn't McCain she'll be dealing with, it'll be Palin.  And while Americans might stand idly by while the Dems rain snubs snide comments on him, figuring he can take it, it'll be very different if that kind of storm hits Palin.  Democratic arrogance will only harm them, not Palin.

Besides, it'll all be overshadowed by what Biden putting his foot in his mouth, I'm sure.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 05:24:43 AM »
Dupe topics merged.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 05:31:37 AM »
Palin should start by asking Infill what her book says about how the debate went (past tense).
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

ronnyreagan

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 06:12:26 AM »
Where were all the people complaining about the conflict of interest back in August when she was named debate moderator? Where were they the entire month of September? The only reason they're manufacturing outrage 36 hours before the debate is that they know Palin is going to fail and fail miserably and they're desperately looking for a built in excuse to say the debate was rigged. This book was no secret, but in the past two weeks Palin has proven herself incredibly incompetent and now people are looking for an excuse for when she does poorly. Both VP candidates would be better of if they sat silently, but that wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as I expect this "debate" to be.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 06:24:20 AM »
The McCain campaign supposedly did not know until the last couple days.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ronnyreagan

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 06:42:37 AM »
The McCain campaign supposedly did not know until the last couple days.

In my opinion that doesn't really help his cause - it just shows a lack of effort on his part. Maybe they should do some research - preferably BEFORE they agree on a moderator. The book is mentioned right on her PBS bio page, to suddenly be all up in arms over it RIGHT NOW stinks of desperation.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 06:43:58 AM »
OF  COURSE they are desperate.

Obama is leading 4.8% on average.

We're all screwed.

There is no hope.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 06:48:19 AM »
She is a professional "journalist" and is therefore quite able to turn her prejudices on and off.  She does not have to worry about injecting her opinion into her performance as a moderator because she is a "professional journalist".  Ya see, "professional journalists" are not like all these buck tooth, mouth-breathing radio talk show hosts.  A "professional journalist" can separate her passions from her profession at the drop of a dime (well, maybe not a dime.  Maybe a couple of grand). 

Waitone, I think you know I agree with you. "Parties" ceased to mean anything some time ago.  Bush and McCain are essentially internatioanlist liberals, and, yes, the operative word here is...complicity (if not something worse).
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 06:57:09 AM »
Let us remember that both Reagan and Goldwater were opposed by GOP leadership.

The modus operandi of GOP leaders and many primary voters had been, for years, to nominate moderate candidates as they were seen as more electable.

McCain is the final iteration of that strategy.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 08:31:11 AM »
There is no hope.

OMG! ONOZ1  shocked

...actually, as I recall, darn near every election turns out surprisingly differently from the polls preceeding it. If BHO is up 4%, and the alleged "ain't gonna & won't tell ya" vote is 6%, he loses by 2%. A lot of people lie (or just change their minds) about whether & how they'll vote. Most states are pretty solid in how they'll go, and it only takes a few votes in 1-2 swing states to throw it.

There's only one poll that matters, and that's in early November.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 09:00:54 AM »
I just heard a clip of McCain commenting on Ifill.

He's not going to make a judgment on "that," he says.  He believes she'll be scrupulously fair.

He sounded tired, weak, and, frankly, pitiable.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 09:46:08 AM »
He sounded tired, weak, and, frankly, pitiable.
All the more reason to have a honest, tough, intelligent VP.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 10:25:20 AM »
This is just another reason not to trust PBS or look to the News Hour for impartial news.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 10:29:03 AM »
This is just another reason not to trust PBS or look to the News Hour for impartial news.

Yeah....we should let YouTube and CNN handle the debate....  rolleyes
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »
Suuuuure. You should know there is no real source for impartial news.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 10:51:25 AM »
Suuuuure. You should know there is no real source for impartial news.
That doesn't mean we should go out of our way to use the most biased news sources out there for debates.  Yet we seem to do exactly that...

freedom lover

• "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 11:02:57 AM »
I never even suggested using Youtube or CNN as news sources! PBS might just be the least biased source for news. It certainly seems less biased than other television sources. I myself watch it. Heck, I ocaissionally even agree with Bill Moyer's point of view.