Author Topic: How is Obama able to be vetted for security clearances?  (Read 14589 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
How is Obama able to be vetted for security clearances?
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:00:16 AM »
Serious question.

If anyone else had a history of cocaine use, associated with known domestic terrorists and extremists and still does, associated with foreign despots and even backed one, associated with and had business dealings with a convicted felon, associated with other extremists...

...would they be granted a Top Secret clearance?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:06:23 AM by Manedwolf »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: How is Obama able to be vetted for security clearances?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:05:19 AM »
I've read that Obama could not get the same security clearance as the Secret Service agents who guard him.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
Having been through the security clearance game, heck, if I were him I couldn't even get into the military without a lot of waivers, let alone get a clearance. He might be able to get a CDL but they'd whiz quiz him every other day. But play with the big nookular button, sure, no questions asked!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:05:36 PM by French G. »
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:10:36 AM »
I've held a Secret and a TS.  He'd likely not be able to hold either in the real world.  But hey, run for president and it doesn't matter what you've done in your past!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:16:05 AM »
Past drug use does not necessarily preclude someone from a TS.  Many of the other issues you bring up may or may not preclude a TS depending on the nature of the relationship and their willingness to be open and honest about those relationships.  The biggest poison pill for a simple TS is hiding things and being in a position for someone to hold leverage over you (secrets, etc). 

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:19:03 AM »
Being President automatically confers access to the highest levels of classified docs, doesn't it? Huh, funny to think that you can bypass all the restrictions just by being elected....

Do Congresscritters have to get clearances? Or is that also just conferred by the job?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »
But hey, run for president and it doesn't matter what you've done in your past!

I think that's actually a big part of it. The other big part is what Chris mentioned -- they're (for the most part) way more concerned with you lying on the SF-86. That said, I think association with Ayers would put him out of the running even on a Secret clearance if he were a Regular Joe <tm>.

Edited to add: Does the President have to do the annual (or whatever) Lifestyle poly?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:25:04 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 11:23:54 AM »
Thou shalt not question the past dealings of the anointed one!

djw

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 11:59:34 AM »
come on and don't be racist. rezko was not even convicted when hussien won the nomination. ayers is a "reformed" terrorist and now teaches at a renowned institution of learning. just being a marxist is surely not reason to question the future leader of the free world is it?
hang on, it will be a rocky road!

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 12:12:20 PM »
bill clinton could probably not have gotten a TS clearance as a civilian either.

it is assumed the president has a need to know.

only a few members of congress are briefed on the most secret things.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 12:22:31 PM »
If I can get a clearance, anyone can get a clearance.  :laugh:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
only a few members of congress are briefed on the most secret things.

And they tend to run their mouth as soon as it becomes expedient or they want to impress someone.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »
Do Congresscritters have to get clearances? Or is that also just conferred by the job?
Pretty sure they have to get clearances. Somebody (Leahy?) lost theirs after blabbing info to the media - and was kicked off a committe as well. 

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 12:52:56 PM »
By definition, the winner of the presidential electoral college vote is the chief executive of the land. The CEO gets to make and enforce the rules. The Board of Directors can oversee his actions and even recall him. What are the chances a Pelosi/Reid congress will do that?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »
Pretty sure they have to get clearances. Somebody (Leahy?) lost theirs after blabbing info to the media - and was kicked off a committe as well. 

And if he'd been charged with a felony as he should have been and tossed in the joint there'd be a whole lot less of that type of behavior from our elected dirtbags.

Well - at least until they changed the law to make it legal for THEM to blab to the world secret stuff that impacts our national security.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 01:06:53 PM »
The drug use itself isn't the disqualifier...but the known associations with domestic terrorists would certainly put the brakes on a TS clearance, I'd think.
Shootinstudent will be along soon to tell us how we're wrong, and to embrace the BarryGoodness.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 01:31:25 PM »
I think you mean BarryGODness.   :police:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 01:59:39 PM »
its the hiding stuff that'll get you.  the webmster for norml had a ts.  and he was very open about morml  gave interviews and such
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 02:01:31 PM »
SS doesn't need to tell you guys that you're wrong - I'll do that for him.

Folks are under some sort of misconception with respect to government access to sensitive information.

For the rank and file, including yours truly, you need a security investigation and a clearance high enough for the access you require to do your job.

However, for ELECTED OFFICIALS, there is no such process required. 

George W. Bush, John McCain, Barak Obama, Dianne Feinstein, Cynthia McKinney, they're all granted access to top-level programs by virtue of their elected position.  That's it.  There's no security clearance granted, because there's none required.

It vexes those of us who undergo invasive background checks and polygraph tests, to no end. I asked that question of my Defense Investigative Services officer when Uncle Sam did one of my 5-year SSBI refresher investigations some years ago.  She spelled out the above loophole for me, and agreed with me that it kind of made a mockery of what we were doing at that moment.  We chalked it up to a thumb-in-the-dike sort of approach for preventing security leaks. 

Now, if said congresscritter screws up and is found to have created a leak, then their access to such information can be removed.  Typically, it's their underling staffers that we had to ferret out and penalize for the violations.  I remember at one time we actually created several different versions of an official report for distribution to our DC customers, with subtle changes in phrasing and verbage, to find out which particular office was leaking sensitive information.  =(

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:10:01 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 02:36:26 PM »
Gewehr98, are you old enough to remember the 1960 election? JFK was given a briefing on the situation with Russian missiles. He made the issue of Russian missiles part of his campaign, even though he was releasing classified information by doing so. Nixon, as vice president, couldn't counter him.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »
Not old enough, but yeah, I knew about that.

We in the "Community" always cringed when the politicians used their access to sensitive information in order to play games like that.

Then again, an intelligence coup properly played at a U.N. general assembly meeting often means the difference between continued belligerence and forced submission when they're faced with the facts.  We watched Colin Powell do that a few years ago with positive effect.  Honestly, we were upset that our hard-earned info was out in the open, but it did what it was supposed to do.  We're beat about the head and shoulders on a regular basis that we should never reveal sources and methods, and there it is on the front page of [insert newspaper here].  Part of the Big Picture, as it were, I guess...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:59:40 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 03:44:56 PM »
its the hiding stuff that'll get you.  the webmster for norml had a ts.  and he was very open about morml  gave interviews and such

What the hell is "norml/morml?"
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »
NORML is a group that works to get marijuana legalized.

http://www.norml.org

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 04:17:32 PM »
NORML is a group that works to get marijuana legalized.

http://www.norml.org

Smoking pot makes you lose vowels? ;)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »
SS doesn't need to tell you guys that you're wrong - I'll do that for him.

Folks are under some sort of misconception with respect to government access to sensitive information.

For the rank and file, including yours truly, you need a security investigation and a clearance high enough for the access you require to do your job.

However, for ELECTED OFFICIALS, there is no such process required. 

George W. Bush, John McCain, Barak Obama, Dianne Feinstein, Cynthia McKinney, they're all granted access to top-level programs by virtue of their elected position.  That's it.  There's no security clearance granted, because there's none required.

For the rank and file, such associations would at least make it much more difficult to gain said clearances, and possibly knock us out of the running if the clearance was required to obtain a job. 
JD