Author Topic: "Drive-by posting", can someone explain the concept?  (Read 4784 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
"Drive-by posting", can someone explain the concept?
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »
I hear about this from time to time, and have even done searches to try to understand the idea.

What is considered "drive-by posting"? (Please excuse my ignorance)
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: "Drive-by posting", can someone explain the concept?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
I hear about this from time to time, and have even done searches to try to understand the idea.

Someone, usually a new member with a cause, who simply posts a link to some Youtube video, political site etc, and then leaves without any comments, any questions asked in the post etc.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:35:51 AM »
Ahh, thanks for the info.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »
Someone, usually a new member with a cause, who simply posts a link to some Youtube video, political site etc, and then leaves without any comments, any questions asked in the post etc.

Or, that has all of the above, though generally almost identical to posts that can be found elsewhere(IE copy and paste), while the poster, after the spree, disappears.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 02:36:05 PM »
copy pasta
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 03:00:27 PM »
To be differentiated from "seagull posting"
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

taurusowner

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:48:08 PM »
I can understand if it's a new user-name with few posts doing it, as it might be spam.  But I honestly don't care at all if it's someone we know doing it.  Either click the link or don't.  Reply or don't.  It's not hurting anyone.  The dozens of "how about a synopsis?" posts that follow one are much more annoying to me.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:55:16 PM »
The main reasons for "requiring" (note that we do not have a strict prohibition on drive by posting here, we take it on a situation by situation basis) someone to add their own commentary on what they've posted:

1. Obviously, if they took the time to cut and paste, they have some feelings in the matter. Why be coy about it?

2. Mutual courtesy. If you're too lazy to add some of your own thoughts to something you've posted, well then maybe I'm too lazy to bother to read it.

3. Snipers. At some other boards, there were a few people who used this tactic only to start arguments. They'd post blind, wait for someone to comment, and then come down on them/their position like a ton of bricks. Not unlike the Monty Python Argument Sketch, only with none of the humor and 10 times the stupidity.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 11:24:51 PM »
It's a courtesy thing.

If you can't be bothered to spend the few extra keystrokes telling us why the link is interesting, then why should anybody click on it, or for that matter even let the posting and/or thread remain?

How do we know it's work-safe? 

How do we know it's not another spamming attack?

How do we know it's suitable for the all-ages readers of The Round Table?

And, no, it's not a hard and fast rule here - but I'd like to think we as APS members would know better. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 11:56:05 PM »
I didn't understand the problem with drive-by posting either, at first.  And I was only half-kidding about the vague titles thread.  But I would point out that a lot of the complaints about dbp apply to bad thread titles as well. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 10:41:08 AM »
The term also applies to those who post a knee-jerk response to a hastily read thread title, never to actually read the OP (or only a cursory glance), any thoughtful discussion, or any responses to their own post. They're not participating.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 11:39:48 AM »
I don't have a problem with cut n' pasting an article. The content is all there; commentary is nice but not really essential imho.

But just posting a link annoys the hell out of me.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 02:03:33 PM »

You forgot to include a link ...  :laugh:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 02:09:38 PM »
You forgot to include a link ...  :laugh:

Oh yeah, silly me... =D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
The Sniper definition sounds like a guy on another forum.  Loves to ridicule other's opinions and thoughts, but rarely posts his own. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 05:37:02 PM »
Of course, that damn Zardoz photo is a drive-by grenading.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »
I don't have a problem with cut n' pasting an article. The content is all there; commentary is nice but not really essential imho.

But just posting a link annoys the hell out of me.

The flip side being that most articles are copyrighted and reproducing them here in their entirety is a violation of the copyright.

I find it interesting that so many people on "gun" forums are very sensitive when they perceive other parties as not respecting the 2nd Amendment, but a little thing like respecting another party's intellectual property rights? Phooey. Those aren't real "rights," that's just words on paper.

Sauce for goose = sauce for gander.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 06:18:17 PM »
The flip side being that most articles are copyrighted and reproducing them here in their entirety is a violation of the copyright.

I find it interesting that so many people on "gun" forums are very sensitive when they perceive other parties as not respecting the 2nd Amendment, but a little thing like respecting another party's intellectual property rights? Phooey. Those aren't real "rights," that's just words on paper.

Sauce for goose = sauce for gander.

I thought it was ok if you included the link and credits?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
I thought it was ok if you included the link and credits?

Not really, no.

In this case, it prevents traffic to the site that hosts the article which negatively effects ad revenue, and thus hurts the bottom line of the company hosting the site. 

IIRC, several forums have been sued - succesfully - for using such methods. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth