Author Topic: No charges for Spitzer  (Read 3126 times)

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
No charges for Spitzer
« on: November 07, 2008, 12:35:52 PM »
The U.S. Attorney in Manhattan won’t file criminal charges against former New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer for his involvement in a prostitution ring.

The state’s 54th chief executive resigned March 17 amid allegations that he was a client in the Emperors Club VIP. He could have been charged with the Mann Act, which prohibits transporting prostitutes across state lines, but federal prosecutors instead investigated him on questionable financial transactions.

An investigation by the FBI and the IRS’ Criminal Investigation Division determined that Spitzer made payments to bank accounts, one named QAT Consulting, that had been used to launder more than $1 million worth of criminal proceeds derived from the Emperors Club VIP’s prostitution business, according to U.S. Attorney Michael Garcia.

Garcia said Spitzer “acknowledged to this office that he was a client of, and made payments to, the Emperors Club VIP. Our investigation has shown that on multiple occasions, Mr. Spitzer arranged for women to travel from one state to another state to engage in prostitution.”

However, even though the Southern District of New York office announced March 6 that it was filing criminal charges on the structuring scheme, it announced yesterday that there was no evidence of misuse of public or campaign funds.

“We have determined that there is insufficient evidence to bring charges against Spitzer for any offense relating to the withdrawal of funds for, and his payments to, the Emperors Club VIP,” Garcia said. “In light of the policy of the Department of Justice with respect to prostitution offenses and the long-standing practice of this office, as well as Spitzer’s acceptance of responsibility for his conduct, we have concluded that the public interest would not be further advanced by filing criminal charges in this matter.”

A first-term Democrat, Spitzer took office in January 2007 after serving as New York’s attorney general, and was known for his hard-lined approach to fraud and reform.

Former Lt. Gov. David Paterson, who took over as governor after Spitzer’s resignation, has announced he plans to seek re-election.
Edit to add Link: http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2008/11/03/daily50.html

About what I expected would be the outcome. So do you think the State AG will file criminal charges?
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: No charges for Spitzer
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »
The Democratic (sic) party fix is in.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »
Of course he would be exempt from the same laws that he prosecuted  :rolleyes:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »
what a shock.

Obama has already started to go after the US attorneys to fix things for his crooked buddies.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 01:08:52 PM »
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 01:55:15 PM »
The system is broke.

really sad when the system goes after people who are committing no crimes.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »
Spitzer was pull down because he was in the early phases of an investigation into hedge funds and alleged criminality.  Those who stood to lose wanted him shut up, not gone. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »
Spitzer was pull down because he was in the early phases of an investigation into hedge funds and alleged criminality.  Those who stood to lose wanted him shut up, not gone. 

Ah, ok. It's not because he actually visited a prostitute. Gotcha. <tinfoil hat>
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:17:31 PM »
Anyone have any any news on clients 1-8? Will they get a pass, too? I doubt it unless they are wealthy or have political connections.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 11:54:06 PM »
Maybe if they had videotape of him smoking crack with some of the prostitutes, they could have gotten a conviction?......

.....nope....that doesn't work, either.

BTW, whatever happened to the hooker that outed him? Has she been "silenced" by the power brokers yet?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »
did she out him?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

LAK

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
Some people apparently wear more tinfoil than others ....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/13/AR2008021302783_pf.html

Check the author, and note the dates; the media allegations about Spitzer hit the press on March 10th in the NYT.

Don't care

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 05:09:58 PM »
Some people apparently wear more tinfoil than others ....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/13/AR2008021302783_pf.html

Check the author, and note the dates; the media allegations about Spitzer hit the press on March 10th in the NYT.

Not much of anything that came from Elliot Spitzer, as Governor, or AG, did I ever tend to completely believe.

There's more to this story than he let on to.