Author Topic: Janet Napolitano may head the DHS  (Read 6940 times)

Lennyjoe

• friend
Janet Napolitano may head the DHS
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:56:07 AM »
Not sure she's the best choice. At least she's out of Arizona.  I never was a big fan of hers.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,455045,00.html

President-elect Barack Obama's top choice to lead the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, two Democratic sources confirmed to FOX News on Thursday.

Gov. Napolitano, whose handling of immigration issues brought her praise from fellow governors, was an early supporter and campaigner for Obama's presidential campaign and was reported to be on a short list of people to fill cabinet posts in the new administration.

Napolitano, 50, was re-elected to a second four-year term in 2006 as governor of Arizona, the home state of Sen. John McCain, the Republican presidential nominee in the race against Obama.

The governor's spokeswoman, Jeanine L'Ecuyer, would not comment on the reports.

"She's not looking for another job, and the president-elect will announce his Cabinet selection when he's ready to do that," L'Ecuyer, said.

Democratic officials said Napolitano has not been officially offered the job but is likely to be named and to accept, pending vetting.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Janet Napolitano may head the DHS
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:08:46 AM »
I would certainly rather have a solid conservative enforcer, someone like Tancredo.

But... given the list of raving libs likely to be nominated by Obama, she's not "too" bad.  She certainly could have done more than she has, and she's come down on the wrong side of the issue many times in the last 8 years.

But she HAS at least done 1 or 2 decent things.

At least she's only a bleeding heart and not a race pimp.

And... icing on the cake... the Republican Secretary of State, Jan Brewer, will become governor.   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:13:59 AM »
Couldn't be much worse than Tom Ridge or Skeletor.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:26:51 AM »
I'm sure she will make a fine head of the Department of Homeboy Security.

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »
She's been little Miss Open Borders for years.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 04:55:29 PM »
She's been little Miss Open Borders for years.

Yeah, she has.

But she isn't nearly as bad as:
Nancy Pelosi
Ted Kennedy
John McCain (oh, that one steams me!)

Or, Arizona locals like:
Kirsten Synema
Salvador Reyza
Phil Gordon

She's at least signed very popular bills into law that she didn't agree with.

I'm not saying she's a great choice from a Conservative perspective.  But she IS a lot better than we could have been hit with for DHS chair.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »
I'm not a big fan of her immigration stance either.  I doubt she'll do any worse than Chertoff, if that's possible.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:09:16 PM »

John McCain supports Barack Obama's pick of Gov. Janet Napolitano as director of homeland security
Phoenix Business Journal - by Mike Sunnucks

U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is backing president-elect Barack Obama’s apparent pick of Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano as secretary of homeland security.

“Gov. Napolitano’s experience as the former U.S. attorney for Arizona, Arizona’s attorney general and as governor warrants her rapid confirmation by the Senate, and I hope she is quickly confirmed,” McCain said in a statement Thursday.

If Napolitano takes the federal position, Arizona Secretary of State Jan Brewer will become governor.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 03:55:10 PM »
Of course John is going to support her.  One is that she's from Arizona and two is because Jan will do a much better job than Janet did.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »
The real reason McCain is supporting her is that she was his likely competition for his next Senate run. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 04:16:01 PM »
McCain isn't gonna run for senate again.  His career is over and he's too old.

I think he didn't want a seasoned governor running against whomever the GOP might put forward to take McCain's seat.  The GOP's best candidates to replace McCain are all Congressmen, and a governor would have more name recognition for the idgits that seem to flood the polls on election day but haven't done any research.

All in all, Janet as a beaurocrat is a good thing.  At least she can't hurt AZ any more and we can start repairing the effects of her tenure.
--Lysander Spooner

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 08:49:09 AM »
You might want to double check that.

I do agree that his career should be over.  Heck I tried to end it 4 years ago.  Voted for the Libertarian candidate opposing him.  'Course he still won something like 70% of the vote.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 12:36:32 PM »
Well, I hope while she's defending the "homeland" someone tells her that we are in a de facto war with Mexico.

Of course in a faltering economy it may be A Good Thing to have a narco-state with high cash flow as your friendly neighbor, who knows?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »
Darn.

For a second, I thought it was Johnette Napolitano.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Don't care

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 02:58:35 PM »

Actually, McCain just formed a PAC this month for the expressed purpose of raising money for a reelection bid.

In retrospect, there have been a number of men that have run for president, only to continue their careers in politics for a number of years. They seem to be more loved than ever by their constituents.

I would take issue about his advancing age to disqualify him from political service. Again, there are any number of examples of men continuing to serve that were older than McCain.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 05:53:28 PM »
McCain's problem isn't his age, it's his lack of vision and poor judgment.  McCain + [fill in the blank] on legislation = Being a "maverick" = Big Trouble.

I suspect he wants to join Ted Kennedy in a mutual swan-song that will legitimize tens of millions of "God's children."
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Don't care

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 10:26:16 PM »
McCain's problem isn't his age, it's his lack of vision and poor judgment.  McCain + [fill in the blank] on legislation = Being a "maverick" = Big Trouble.

I suspect he wants to join Ted Kennedy in a mutual swan-song that will legitimize tens of millions of "God's children."

Senator McCain is too much of a centrist. As part of that "Reagan Revolution", he certainly forgot a portion of the conservative political values that President Reagan advocated.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 08:35:59 PM »
For a second, I thought it was Johnette Napolitano.

Good taste, and maybe we'd get to hear good music while removing our shoes at airport security.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 08:52:23 PM »
Yup.

Walking in London...   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »
This is the most critical moment in our history in terms of national security, both external and internal, and the best he can do for DHS is...Janet Napolitano?  Yeah, I'm sure Janet Napolitano really strikes fear in the hearts of our enemies.  Another sop to politics and political correctness. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

taurusowner

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 02:49:07 PM »
I wish McCain would just leave politics.  Any race he's in, even if he wins, it's not really much of a win for the GOP.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 11:59:35 PM »
The local Air America station's "news" was suggesting that there may be some deal in the works to offer Jan Brewer some national post also, so that the interim governorship would go to the next-in-line, who is a Democrat.

Where, by the way, did that awful Kyrsten Sinema come from?  I've been hearing her name more and more over the past year or so, and I cringe whenever I hear a quote from her.  She has got the be the whiniest, nuttiest Representative in our state's history, and I can't understand why she's the only one getting any radio time.

Yes, McCain's going to be running again.  One of the local radio shows said that although he does not have any named opposition yet, he is expecting a tough contest.  Guess that's what happens when you ditch your supporters.