Author Topic: Kimchi is offcially my comfort food OR Rubber Paychecks  (Read 3131 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Kimchi is offcially my comfort food OR Rubber Paychecks
« on: October 17, 2005, 07:29:27 PM »
So I was out friday night enjoying the company of an Attractive Young Lady" when I decide to withdraw some cash so I could pay for her entrance into a poetry reading.

Strange... my bank account seems very low... and it has a negative sign in front of it.

Turns out a week after the fact my paycheck had bounced.

First I had to nag my boss and my bank to find out exactly what the problem was, and now I just have to nag my boss.

Kinda stressful. I just want my money, you know?

So I put it to my boss in pretty strong terms that I'd like my money as soon as possible as the end of a new pay period is coming up friday and he seemed receptive, but that was over the phone.

I just want my friggin money.

This is situation where if I go confrontational too early I could seriously sour some grapes and burn some bridges and if I don't get adversarial at all that paycheck could just disappear into the wind. It's hard for me to toe that line because I just wanna get what's mine when I earned it, and apparently that doesn't happen all the time.

It's like, I already worked for it, why do I have to work for it again?

So I bought a big tub of spicy kimchi and now I'm chowing down.

It's my comfort food.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 07:57:55 PM »
hmmm. I've actually had this happen a few times. I used to be a nice guy about it. I've had to get the CA labor board involved in one instance after I quit and didn't recieve a final paycheck. To this day, there's a fellow in CA who owes me $1200. I never sued him, since, he used to be a friend and is now broke and living with his mother at the age of 40. His company went under while I worked for him, and several of us didn't get paid.
I have a new rule, after that experience. If I don't get paid on time, I don't show up until my check does. I've shown up for work on payday and been told the checks wouldn't be in for 2 days due to a mistake in accounting. "Ok, call me." I have learned my lesson. YMMV
Hi.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 08:09:17 PM »
Start looking for a new job this very second.  This ship is going dooooowwwwwwn.

Also, nothing better to wash kimchi down with than a nice big bottle of yogurt soju (or lemonaid soju, whatever floats your boat.)

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 03:13:23 AM »
I used to have a boss that did this quite frequently to me.  Was a real pain in the ass.  The last time I remember him doing it, I kept calling the automated system at the bank to see how much would clear.  You know, I'd call as a merchant to verify and check a dollar amount, hang up and call back.  I kept doing this until I was pretty sure about how much he had in there.  Turns out he would keep just enough below what my check was so I deposited the difference (~$100 or so) into the account and then cashed the check.  Net result was that I had most of my money.  IIRC, he was pretty pissed because some other stuff bounced.  Oh well, I don't work for my health or his prosperity.

Greg

...has left the building.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 03:26:17 AM »
I love Korean food but I don't really like kimchi. There is a little Korean place somewhere downtown that has amazing BBQ for around $5-6/plate. I'll have to ask my Aunts where it is.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 04:48:29 AM »
Mr. Flory, I don't think you got the retaliatory tone of the kimchi admittance Smiley

..that tone would be "frrrrrrrrrrrt".

Justin

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 10:47:13 AM »
Winston, man, you are just freakin' weird sometimes.  Smiley
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 12:22:58 PM »
Yowzah...

My brother had a similarly strange experience.  He went to work for a chain bagel joint and opted for direct deposit.  He didn't so much spend money at the time, so he opened his account with the first paper check, and just let everything else deposit automatically.  He kept getting pay stubs with the right info on them, so he just assumed the money was there, and since he never bought anything, he never even opened his statements.

So, after a couple months of this, he goes to buy...  something...  A DVD player, I think, and the check bounces.  It turns out that, in spite of all evidence to the contrary, the company had just kinda decided not to pay him and to lie about it every other week (that's the way I told him to say it to his manager).  Lawsuits were threatened when the company would not pay him, that very instant, in cold, hard cash.  The quick phone call to the workforce commission, on the speakerphone next to the register with fifteen customers waiting got him his pay, in cash, right quick.  The manager was seriously ticked...  at the corporate idiots.  My brother was the best employee ever to grace that store.

The moral of the story is that I will give an employer exactly one second chance, and only on the first paycheck, to fix a problem.  People type account numbers wrong, names are misspelled, and paperwork might get lost.  If everything is not exactly to spec by the second paycheck, I walk.  I walk either with cash (no checks.  not even certified funds), or with the workforce commission forms filled out.  

They have breached your contract.  You have been quantifiably damaged as a result.  Walk, right now, and sue them (or contact the appropriate agency) if you don't have cash in your hand when you do so (along with money to cover the overdraft fees).  Failure to pay an employee, particularly in the case of a rubber paycheck, is a BIG nono.

...has left the building.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 01:35:14 PM »
mfree- haha! One of the many reasons why I don't dig kimchi!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 02:09:30 PM »
Bouncing pay checks? Time to move on.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 05:38:14 PM »
Mmmmm, rotten cabbage.  Yummy!  Spicy rotten cabbage, even better.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 06:25:39 PM »
Every time I smell kimchi...

I think about all the Korean hookers and how they smelled.  Shocked
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Chris

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 07:00:44 PM »
Ahhhhhh... comfort food; I know it's directly opposite your side of the city, and I have no idea if you're into soul food, but the Hard Knox Cafe on 3rd between 22nd and 23rd is my goto joint for bad days. Mmmmh... country fried steak, mac and cheese and collard greens. yummy.

yeah yeah I know it's in a not great part of town but it's worth it.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 07:17:56 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot... Winston, you're crazy for the kimchi thing.  My Korean roommate agrees.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 03:20:54 AM »
Every time I smell kimchi...

I think about all the Korean hookers and how they smelled.
+1  (Awful...)

I had an employer bounce 5 in a similar matter. It was always "Oh, we deposited to the wrong account." "We forgot to deposit." Then I was accused of having "a negative attitude". Imagine that, my paychecks are bouncing and I have a negative attitude. Go figure.

When I finally DID leave he tried to fight the unemployment. Turned out ONE bounced paycheck is sufficient grounds to start collecting. I had FIVE!!

I had the pleasure of making that VERY clear to him on the phone.

Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 07:31:28 AM »
Quote "I think about all the Korean hookers and how they smelled"

Thats funny.  I remember getting on the Kimchi bus and everyone smelled like it.  I swear I started smelling like it before I took the freedom bird back to the motherland.

Good stuff though.  The wife has several Korean ladies that work for her and they bring us Kimchi and Bulgoki from time to time.