Author Topic: Troubleshooting car tape deck problem  (Read 3740 times)

SalukiFan

• friend
Troubleshooting car tape deck problem
« on: October 19, 2005, 05:01:34 PM »
Okay, so the first thing you're probably thinking is "She's still got a tape deck?" but bear with me here - at least it's not an 8 track.

I've got the factory tape deck that came with my 1998 Camry.  Sometimes, when I put a tape in, I won't be able to fully play a tape through - it just stops and plays if I'm trying to rewind or flips into auto-reverse if I'm trying to play or fast-forward.  

If I take the tape out and rattle it a bit, it helps but usually doesn't let me listen to the whole tape.  It's almost like the resistance of the tape is too much for my winding spools (or whatever they are called) and the tape deck can't overcome the slightest resistance.  I can bring in the same tape and fully play or rewind it on my stereo with no problems.  

Is there anything I can do to fix this or am I going to have to get a new car stereo installed?

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 05:13:37 PM »
I've had that problem with a number of tape decks, and I'll tell you what I think was the problem (I'm not a technogeek, this is conjecture). The newer tape decks had some sort of cut-out device that stopped play/rewind/etc anytime that resistance was encountered on the tape to prevent the problem that older tape decks had of "eating" tapes. If it doesn't do it with new tapes, you're encountering the same problem that I've had. The only solution I know is to dub the old tape onto a new cassette.

If that works for you, you owe me. The CD player in my car has taken a cd and refuses to give it up. I need somebody with steady hand and a pair of tweezers to come rescue it I think Smiley
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 05:15:21 PM »
It does sound like the tape is too tight, usually due to age. Just guessing here too though.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 02:40:05 AM »
There are sometimes little rubber bands inside that drive everything.  Over time they get less rubbery and start to dry out.  When that happens, they start to slip on whatever surface they are driving when pressure is applied.  I'd bet that's what is happening here.

Greg

SalukiFan

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 07:22:12 AM »
Thanks for the input folks! Smiley

Stand_watie and 280plus, I have tried with new tapes and the problem does seem to be reduced but not eliminated.  My theory is that since the tape is on the spool and is laid flat on it's side in the tape deck that the bouncing around in the car kind of knocks some of the tape out of perfect alignment, Chinese yo-yo style.  That way, even if your tape is new, it will eventually get harder for the tape to play if you listen to it in the car.  Then you run into the "auto-reverse/anti-tape eating" issue.  

Actually, now that you mention it Greg, I had the same problem with the little rubber bands drying out in my last car, a Pontiac (or so a friend suggested).   That car was old and fixing the tape deck would have been like rearranging the deck chairs on the Atlantic so I listened to tapes using a small battery operated tape player.  The Camry however is a good car and I use it a lot for work so I might start looking for a new tape deck or maybe even a CD player.

Thanks again for the help.  I guess I'll be putting a new gadget on the wishlist.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 10:25:23 AM »
If it were me, I would rip out the old tape deck and get an aftermarket CD player.  Good ones used to be expensive but you can get one that matches or exceeds the quality of your factory deck for ~$200.