Author Topic: Potato Soup?  (Read 1910 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Potato Soup?
« on: October 19, 2005, 05:13:44 PM »
I'm looking for a good potato soup recipe.  Any suggestions?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Potato Soup?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 05:46:57 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Potato Soup?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 05:47:22 PM »
Going off memory here ; as my cookbooks and notes are elsewhere. Then again I like to piddle and experiment anyway. Basic Recipe:

'Tater Soup.

Six to eight taters, depends on size,

1 quart milk
1 dash pepper
2 tablespoons butter
 Boil until potatoes are soft. Drain excess water. Add milk.. Cook for an additional five minutes or so.

Piddlin' Part:

Dump "some in hand" rub hands together- Basil,
Dump "some in hand" rub hands together- Parsley,
Peppermill over pot, grind till looks right -Fresh ground pepper,  
Looks like enough to me- green onion/ onion,
I bet this is good in here - mushrooms.
Needs some more green - Celery
I know what would be good - Add cooked bacon.

Now I have cheated, [read hungry, ice stormed in...and I was conserving milk, ]

I used a can of Cream of Celery Soup to make the milk go further...yummy.

I later used a can of Cream of Potato Soup and the Cream of Celery Soup - I was making a really HUGE batch of Soup.
I added a Can of Clams to that batch...

HTH

Steve

JAlexander

• friend
Potato Soup?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:15:54 PM »
Nothin' to it, really.  Peel and quarter six or eight potatoes, then boil until tender, as for mashed taters.  While the potatoes are boiling, fry four or five (or more) pieces of bacon until they're almost crispy.  Drain the potatoes and mashes thoroughly, then add the bacon and liquid.  I usually use a half-and-half mixture of chicken stock and milk, but you can use whatever you like.  At this point I add a couple of good handfuls of cheese, but it's up to you.  Stir well.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Enjoy.

James

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Potato Soup?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 06:15:55 PM »
Either eat potatoes or soup.

Don't try to mix the two...

Standing Wolf

• friend
Potato Soup?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 06:33:13 PM »
It's always worth your while to add sour cream to potato soup. I've been known to use sausage instead of bacon. Tree ear mushrooms are wonderful in just about any kind of soup. Chives. Oregano.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Potato Soup?
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 06:53:15 PM »
"Either eat potatoes or soup.

Don't try to mix the two..."

Ye gods... That kind of limited thinking would still have us looking at birds wishing God had given us the ability to fly... Smiley
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brian Williams

• friend
  • I want one of these
Potato Soup?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 05:38:50 AM »
Make about 1 cup of roux, I prefer butter, but bacon fat works
Here's How:
Melt 1/2 cup (unless a specific amount is called for) of butter, shortening, oil, or other fat in a heavy skillet over very low heat.
Gradually sprinkle the hot melted fat with the same proportion of flour and immediately begin stirring.
Stir the mixture constantly until it reaches the desired color, which may take from 15 to 30 minutes.
Remove from the heat and continue stirring until it has cooled down a bit and there's no risk of burning.
Add herbs, vegetables, or whatever your recipe calls for or store roux tightly covered in the refrigerator for later use.

Tips:
A dark roux will thicken less than light roux.
If black specks appear in the roux, it has burned and you'll have to start over.
If roux is made ahead and refrigerated, pour excess oil from the surface before reheating, or let it return to room temperature.

Cheesy Tater Soup
Start with a 5 quart pan or Dutch oven
cube up (1/2" size) 1/2 pan full of taters
Boil til "el Dente"
drain water and replace with milk to cover
Bring to low simmer
add 2 to 3 lbs sharp chedder cheese
when cheese melted thicken to desired with roux
Salt lightly
Season with basil, oregano and a shot of Tabasco

Serve and pepper at table
Brian
<><
:)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Potato Soup?
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 01:22:13 PM »
Thanks all!

Bob F.

• friend
Potato Soup?
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 04:46:37 PM »
sm: you cook like I do: depends on what's in the house; and, I too, rub dried herbs between my hands.
Y'all are making me hungry! Now if ya' just had some crusty bread!!!
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Subby

Potato Soup?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 08:34:04 PM »
I've never really followed strict recipes.  So the following aren't going to have measurements:

Saute some chopped leeks and a little bit of garlic in some butter, add milk or cream, and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil, stir in your roux to desired thickness(I've always had better success adding in the roux, rather than making the roux and stirring in the liquids; make your roux, keep it on the counter if you cook often, in the fridge if infrequently).  Add boiled diced spuds. (if you need measurements, do a search for "vichysoisse", altho vichysoisse is traditionally served cold).

Same as above, but substitute a little onion for the leeks, and bacon grease for the butter.  Leave it a little thin, stir in your cheese of choice.  Garnish with crumbled bacon and thinly sliced green onions.

Generally I like to cook the spuds off separately, seems to make the the resulting soup a bit less thick on the tongue.

Sub