Author Topic: Shoe recommendations?  (Read 3522 times)

JAlexander

• friend
Shoe recommendations?
« on: October 21, 2005, 09:04:22 AM »
The time has come again for me to invest in footwear, and I'm hoping y'all can help me out.  I haven't worn lace-up shoes in years and I'm looking for something with good support that wears well, but isn't a cross-trainer or running shoe, et cetera.  I'm leaning toward lighter hiking boots/shoes, so if there are any brands to seek out or avoid, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks, folks.

James

mtnbkr

• friend
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 09:15:07 AM »
Doc Martins, the brit made ones, not the newer chinese ones.

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 09:23:38 AM »
If you're looking for a "shoe" shoe, I HIGHLY recommend Dunham Ruggards. They're a New Balance brand. I've bought two pair at the Karavel store on Burnet in Austin. A little over a C-note, but the most comfortable footwear I've ever experienced.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 09:23:58 AM »
Check out the Chippewah brand. Bootbay.com has a nice selection and if Chippewah doesn't turn out to be to your liking they carry numerous other brands.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

grampster

• friend
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 09:59:45 AM »
For comfort and semi-dress shoe Merrills fit the bill for me.  Anything made by Wolverine World Wide will have their Bounce (tm) platform will be comfortable.  I even have a pair of wing tips by WWW that are very formal, but as comfortable as a walking shoe.

Google Wolverine World Wide.  Look at the Hush Puppy brand.  They also have Merrills as well as boots, and athletic shoes.  Good stuff.  ZeroG (tm) is like the older Bounce technology.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 10:23:01 AM »
Ecco's are nice but spendy, but I think they are worth the $$$
Irish Setter's by Red Wing too

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

middy

Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 10:29:55 AM »
I second Doc Martens. I have a pair that are steel-toed which prevents the toe from losing its shape and looking old (not to mention the self-defense utility). The leather and sole rubber are of such high quality that, years later, they look almost brand new with a little shoe polish, and there's still plenty of tread. They are also very comfortable and suitable for casual to semi-formal wear.

These are the model I'm talking about. Check out the user reviews.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/536806/c/1670.html

JAlexander

• friend
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 11:02:14 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.  I used to wear Docs all the time, but the last couple of pairs I bought just weren't as good, and I walked through the soles in less than a year per pair.  Granted, I weigh too much, but that's just not acceptable performance.
Anyone else have anything to say about Merrells?  I kinda like the look of some of their shoes, but I don't know anything about them.

James

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 11:09:59 AM »
I have had two pairs of merrells but they were more of the sport hiking shoe, great shoes, wear like iron if your get one with a vibram sole. The Merrell beand sole is soft and will wear down quickly on concrete.

Chabry
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 12:04:27 PM »
Let me chime in and say that the most incredible (and I'm hard to impress) shoe I've ever worn, bar none, is the Hush Puppy Zero G line.  Light, supple, with bounce like a running shoe and looks like a MUCH more expensive casual shoe.  Runs around $75, but you can occasionally find them on special for around $50.
I believe I bought mine from zappos.com as well.

Enjoy--you won't be sorry.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2005, 12:15:53 PM »
I got a pair of Thinsulate Salmon slip-on's that are incredibly comfortable.  I just wear them everywhere, I have no need for any other shoes anymore.

More comfortable and supportive and traction than any other shoes I have ever had.

My other favorite is Avia Fom's.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

TarpleyG

• friend
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 12:16:20 PM »
Shoes are an "aholes and opinions" sort of thing...go try on a bunch.

Greg

Dannyboy

• friend
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 04:56:42 PM »
I just found my new favorite shoe.  They're made by a company called Born and they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.  They might be hard to find but if you see em, try em on.  Keen is another good brand.  Well made and comfy.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Strings

Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 07:24:14 PM »
Well... my wife's been selling shoes for several years (and Wildalaska can vouch for her taste). Her reccomendations: Merrel, Born, Clarks- all are good comfrot shoe brands. For dress shoes, Allen-Edmond is THE way to go. Nunn-Bush is what I wear...

Subby

Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 08:18:47 PM »
I concur with mtnbkr, avoid the ChiCom Doc Martens.  It seems the toe box is shaped a little different to me.  I wore a brand new pair to a wedding two years ago, wound up taking them off, walking around most of the reception barefoot.  I also went into a Denny's post-reception barefoot.  This was in suburban Baltimore.  No joke.  Anyways, I'm rather fond of low-top Converse All-Stars and low top "skater" shoes.  Very light weight, flat sole.  If you're talking warm weather woods wear, I've had a couple pair of Altama combats, relatively light, good ankle support, cheap enough to beat, tough enough to last.  

Sub

...has left the building.

Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 05:12:47 AM »
I'm a pretty big fan of Aldens. http://www.aldenshoe.com

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 05:44:46 AM »
I like the lightweight mountaineering boots at Eastern Mountain Sports. The ones made in Italy, not China or Korea. They'll run you ~ $200 though. It's kinda fun cause you're wearing more expensive shoes than just about anybody but nobody knows... Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ron

Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 07:07:18 AM »
If you want to be tacticool here is the shoe. http://oakley.com/o/o1692d

telewinz

• friend
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 10:13:33 AM »
I have Doc Martens and about a dozen other brands like Nunn Bush and Rockport.  I think comfort is mainly in the design, soft insoles and breathable leather.  You can't go wrong with Rockport or Doc Martens (I can't tell any difference between the Chinese or English made).
Career Corrections

Norton

• friend
Shoe recommendations?
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 03:23:13 PM »
I'm pretty fond of my Doc Martens.  I also have a pair of Havana Joe boots that have been real troopers....comfortable, waterproof and look good even after may trips to my mountain land