Author Topic: What does "resolving host" mean?  (Read 5601 times)

Standing Wolf

• friend
What does "resolving host" mean?
« on: December 16, 2008, 02:37:46 PM »
I'm using Mozilla on a Macintosh with a 56 Kb modem. The past two weeks, the browser makes me wait—and wait, and wait, and wait—while giving me the message "resolving host" before it even starts to load a page.

I've cleaned up both hard drives on the theory it might have been file fragmentation. That didn't help. I've tried other telephone connections, which also haven't helped.

Ideas? Does "resolving host" mean the browser's efforts to find the site are being re-routed through Pakistan or somewhere? It happens even when I'm trying to open a new page when I'm at a site.

Thanks, eh?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: What does "resolving host" mean?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 02:49:32 PM »
resolving host means taking the hostname, i.e. www.armedpolitesociety.com, and translating it to a number.
That number is like your street address, only on the internet.  That's how traffic knows how to get from one point to another.

There are special servers that translate names to addresses, and while you see "resolving host", that means your browser asked one of these special servers to translate a name to an address, and is waiting for that translation.

You could be seeing this for any specific reason, but I'd check your dial up networking config to make sure your "DNS" servers are set the way your ISP wants them, if at all.  (Some are set automatically.)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:13:44 PM »
 It means you broke the internet.  =(  I'm telling Mom.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:06:52 PM »
I'm thinking it's a bandwidth/throughput issue, rather than a PC or OS issue. Yell at your service provider.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:33:33 PM »
It means its time to upgrade to broadband of some type, there are no longer any sites on the net designed to run that slow.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »
It means its time to upgrade to broadband of some type, there are no longer any sites on the net designed to run that slow.

I've been doing my best to avoid admitting that the past six or eight years.

Thanks, all!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.