Author Topic: So, the 111th is underway.  (Read 6082 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
So, the 111th is underway.
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
And they've introduced over 400 bills...I particularly like the one where Serrano wants to remove the 22nd Amendment so that Obama can be Emperor President for Life.

Wonderful...plenty of pork to go around, too.

http://www.clubforgrowth.org/2009/01/dumbness_on_the_first_day.php

January 7, 2009
Dumbness on the First Day

Over 400 bills were proposed by congressional members on the first day of business yesterday. Jim Harper offers up some of his "favorites". Here are ones that stuck out in my mind:

Rep. Jose Serrano (D-NY), an obvious Obama fan, is proposing (H.J.Res. 5) "an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

Rep. Brian Baird (D-WA) is proposing a bill (HR 14), "To provide for ocean acidification research and monitoring, and for other purposes." I love the opaqueness of the often used tag line: "for other purposes."

Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) is proposing a bill (HR 73), "To provide for the collection of data on traffic stops."

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) is proposing (S. 38) "A bill to establish a United States Boxing Commission to administer the Act, and for other purposes." This chestnut is an long time favorite for McCain. The sport of boxing apparently is so out of control that it needs to be reigned in by the federal government.

Who were the most prolific bill writers? In the House:

Elton Gallegly (R-CA): 19 bills
    Jose Serrano (D-NY): 16 bills
    Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX): 15 bills

In the Senate:

David Vitter (R-LA): 34 bills
    Dianne Feinstein (D-CA): 24 bills
    Dan Inouye (D-HI): 23 bills

Now, not all proposals are big government spending plans. Rep. John Linder (R-GA) has re-introduced his favorite bill (HR 25) - to abolish the IRS and implement the Fair Tax. And Rep. John Campbell (R-CA) offered up a couple of gems. He wants to abolish the Appropriations Committee (H.Res. 17) and he wants to allow people who want higher taxes to be able to voluntarily send the federal government some of their extra money on their tax returns (HR 87).

Posted at Andrew Roth at 9:40 AM | TrackBack

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery?&Db=d111&querybd=@OR(@FIELD(FLD961+20090106)+@FIELD(FLD010+20090106)+@FIELD(FLD961+20090107)+@FIELD(FLD010+20090107))
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: So, the 111th is underway.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 10:37:17 PM »
   Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) is proposing (S. 38) "A bill to establish a United States Boxing Commission to administer the Act, and for other purposes." This chestnut is an long time favorite for McCain. The sport of boxing apparently is so out of control that it needs to be reigned in by the federal government.

I'd support it only if McCain went to arrest Mike Tyson personally.....in the ring....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:31:59 AM »
H.R.45 : To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes.
Sponsor: Rep Rush, Bobby L. [IL-1] (introduced 1/6/2009)      Cosponsors (None)

H.R.17 : To protect the right to obtain firearms for security, and to use firearms in defense of self, family, or home, and to provide for the enforcement of such right.
Sponsor: Rep Bartlett, Roscoe G. [MD-6] (introduced 1/6/2009)      Cosponsors (None)
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 02:35:57 AM »
I'd support it only if McCain went to arrest Mike Tyson personally.....in the ring....  =D

He's a real conservative and a fighter pilot. He'd get into Tyson's OODA loop.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:40:58 AM »
He's a real conservative and a fighter pilot. He'd get into Tyson's OODA loop.

While he's a tough old coot and yes, a former fighter pilot.....he's not a real conservative.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Owens

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 07:54:19 AM »
This time around especially,  folks need to watch their congress critters like a hawk!
Presidential term limits
Congressional term limits
Real ID (at least that what I believe it to be - Withhold highway funding for non-compliance with ID issuance guidelines)
Lots of what they call 'private bills', whatever that is.
Abolish IRS in favor of a national sales tax - May not be a bad idea.

Not to mention that on the first day the house changed its rules to make it more difficult if not impossible for the minority to oppose or stop any legislation.

Watch em!
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 09:27:42 AM »
This time around especially,  folks need to watch their congress critters like a hawk!
Presidential term limits
Real ID (at least that what I believe it to be - Withhold highway funding for non-compliance with ID issuance guidelines)
Lots of what they call 'private bills', whatever that is.
Abolish IRS in favor of a national sales tax - May not be a bad idea.

Not to mention that on the first day the house changed its rules to make it more difficult if not impossible for the minority to oppose or stop any legislation.

Watch em!

New Hampshire passed a law of noncompliance with RealID, calling it "repugnant to the Constitution".
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:31:37 AM by Manedwolf »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:37:21 AM »

Congressional term limits are perfectly useless. If the Californians can no longer elect Feinstein, they'll just elect someone vaguely similar. And besides, I want guys like Paul Broun and Ron Paul to get re-elected again and again until they choose to quit.

While he's a tough old coot and yes, a former fighter pilot.....he's not a real conservative.

Need I be using my irony tags?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 06:43:44 PM »

McCain has always disliked boxing.  But he's always hated MMA, and has done what he could to destroy it.  Had he been elected President, I have no doubts he would have found some way to outlaw the UFC.   That made any personal attempt to gain enthusiasm for him difficult at best... 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
The sport of boxing apparently is so out of control that it needs to be reigned in by the federal government.
I'll say it is . . . how can you have a winner when both fighters are still on their feet! (Shout from the gallery . . . Fix! Fix!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 03:34:38 PM »
That HR45 is a doozy.  The "Blair Holt Holier Than Thou Scapegoat and Gun Owner Harrassment Act of 2009."

Good bye to private transfers.

Good bye to "simple" 4473 checks.

Hello to state/fed intermingled licensing and capricious/arbitrary denial of permits.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 03:48:52 PM »
That HR45 is a doozy.  The "Blair Holt Holier Than Thou Scapegoat and Gun Owner Harrassment Act of 2009."

Hello to state/fed intermingled licensing and capricious/arbitrary denial of permits.
Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.

HELLO! STATE'S RIGHTS?!

That would invalidate NH's Constitution! :O

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 03:49:53 PM »
HELLO! STATE'S RIGHTS?!

Goodbye.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »
...and to make matters worse, the Texas Legislature started their session today....

....just when I thought I'd have a dollar to spare this year....  =(
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 04:37:15 PM »
...and to make matters worse, the Texas Legislature started their session today....

....just when I thought I'd have a dollar to spare this year....  =(

Apparently, they're trying to ban a sort of knife that opens too easily with one hand. Kershaw knives...they want them reclassified as illegal switchblades.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 05:20:39 PM by Manedwolf »

ELSORDO

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »
It's not just Kershaw, most makers of quality knives today offer "assisted opening" models.  The user must start the opening process (typically by moving a thumb stud on the blade) and when the blade begins to open a spring finishes the action.  Very neat and very fast and legal most everywhere.
My Mantra:Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 05:49:04 PM »

Worries me too. Hopefully it dies in committee.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »
Is there a new law banning all state's rights. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 04:09:24 PM »
Note that HR45 is being pushed by Chicago's Bobby Rush, who first achieved notoriety as a co-founder of the Illinois chapter of the Black Panther Party.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »
Is there a new law banning all state's rights. 

Nope....all the old ones banning states' rights are in effect....  ;/

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 03:18:01 AM »
The bill to remove the 22nd Amendment worries the heck out of me.

But I found this tidbit:

http://www.usconstitution.net/constamprop.html

As an example of the tenacity of some ideas, the desire to repeal the 22nd Amendment is a very popular one. Using the Thomas database, we searched all the way back to the 99th Congress, which started in 1985, for proposals to repeal the 22nd. In 2005, there was a great deal of discussion, and derision, of a new proposal to repeal the 22nd. But the derision, certainly, was unwarranted. Every Congress since the 99th has had at least one proposal with the sole intent of repealing the 22nd. Other proposed amendments to otherwise affect the 22nd, such as replacing the two-term limit with a single six-year term, extend back to at least 1979's 96th Congress, but were not included in this list.

109th Congress - HJ Res 24 (2005)
108th Congress - HJ Res 25 (2003)
107th Congress - HJ Res 39 (2001)
106th Congress - HJ Res 24 (1999)
105th Congress - HJ Res 39 (1997)
104th Congress - HJ Res 71 (1995)
103rd Congress - HJ Res 107 (1993)
102nd Congress - HJ Res 61 (1991)
101st Congress - HJ Res 84 (1989)
100th Congress - HJ Res 156 (1987)
99th Congress - HJ Res 687 (1986)

So far, I'd guess it's a no-starter.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »
Rep. Jose Serrano (D-NY), an obvious Obama fan, is proposing (H.J.Res. 5) "an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.
Wait... I seem to recall all kinds of paranoia from the left that Bush was trying to become President for life, etc.  I'm listening, but I don't seem to be hearing any cries of foul from over there anymore... what happened?  :rolleyes:
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »
Wait... I seem to recall all kinds of paranoia from the left that Bush was trying to become President for life, etc.  I'm listening, but I don't seem to be hearing any cries of foul from over there anymore... what happened?  :rolleyes:

It's their guy, so it's not the same thing.

Democrats spread a miasma of hypocrisy with every breath. And they never smell it.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 03:53:41 PM »
It's their guy, so it's not the same thing.

Democrats spread a miasma of hypocrisy with every breath. And they never smell it.

Kind of like how the papers now think the "OMG DOMESTIC WIRETAPPING" program is now a perfectly reasonable Foreign Communication Intercept program?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought