Author Topic: Obama flashes irritation in press room  (Read 11936 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Obama flashes irritation in press room
« on: January 23, 2009, 08:02:58 AM »
President Obama made a surprise visit to the White House press corps Thursday night, but got agitated when he was faced with a substantive question.

Asked how he could reconcile a strict ban on lobbyists in his administration with a Deputy Defense Secretary nominee who lobbied for Raytheon, Obama interrupted with a knowing smile on his face.

"Ahh, see," he said, "I came down here to visit. See this is what happens. I can't end up visiting with you guys and shaking hands if I'm going to get grilled every time I come down here."

Pressed further by the Politico reporter about his Pentagon nominee, William J. Lynn III, Obama turned more serious, putting his hand on the reporter's shoulder and staring him in the eye.

"Alright, come on" he said, with obvious irritation in his voice. "We will be having a press conference at which time you can feel free to [ask] questions. Right now, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself to you guys - that's all I was trying to do."

The president was quickly saved by a cameraman in the room who called out: “I’d like to say it one more time: ‘Mr. President.’ ”

Obama spent about 10 minutes total, winding his way through a crush of reporters and photographers between the upper and lower floors of the journalists' workspace and asking questions about who worked where and how the booths and desks were assigned.

Reporters had little warning about the impromptu visit by the new president, and those who were in the downstairs portion of the press quarters only came to the briefing room after an unexpected and cryptic announcement on the internal intercom that they do so.

"This is worse than the Middle East," he joked, alluding to the territorial claims staked on the cramped corridor. "Who's sitting where and all that stuff."

He revealed that he had already gotten in two work outs since being sworn in Tuesday.

"Turns out I have a little gym up there," he said with a smile.

Obama said he had watched press secretary Robert Gibbs debut briefing "in anticipation of some flop sweat. ... I just want to thank you for not completely ripping up Gibbs," Obama said.

"I am very proud of him today. He got a fist bump from me."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0109/17831.html
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Re: Obama flashes irritation in press room
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:17:06 AM »
That doesn't sound very irratable to me, sounds like he was brushing off work questions during a supposedly social time.  Reporters didn't know that, though.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

ShelleyB.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 08:29:18 AM »
He got a fist bump from me."

How classy and Presidential...... :rolleyes:

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:31:47 AM »
That doesn't sound very irratable to me, sounds like he was brushing off work questions during a supposedly social time.  Reporters didn't know that, though.

Ditto.  Except that a meet-and-greet with the press *is* work time.  Just different work.  It's getting really, really old how our delightful new president can do no right.  I'm not happy about it either, but for pity's sake people, telling a guy to back off the substance during hand-shaking time is hardly an issue that should be of concern.

buzz_knox

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 08:35:06 AM »

Except that reporters that have asked substantive questions of both he and Biden, very late in the game unfortunately, have been taken to task and they and their employers (i.e. Sun-Times) are no longer permitted interviews, opportunities to question, etc.

One incident like this is nothing.  This is, however, one incident in a pattern.  Obama was never seriously questioned, has no experience with such questioning, and doesn't like it.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
He was probably ticked off because it was an impromptu meeting, and the reporters hadn't been told what questions to ask and Obama hadn't been spoon fed the answers.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:00:30 AM »
Its Bush's fault that the press acted like that. :)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:01:39 AM »
He's the President.  The next 4 years of his life are work time.  WTF did he think he was going to get to screw around and do nothing?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »
Yes, he is always the president, and the press are not his "friends" in way, shape or form.  I don't agree with Obama's press meet-and-greet (I think he should keep that relationship strictly professionaly), but I don't see the harm in brushing-off the question.

Let the guy get settled into his role/office/house.  We have four years to pick nits.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 09:14:44 AM »
"I am very proud of him today. He got a fist bump from me."

Seems to like doing that huh?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 09:15:41 AM »
You want to see irritation, look at how he looked at Biden yesterday when Biden blurted something about Roberts messing up the oath. You could see the line of daggers from Obama's eye to Biden, and he just coldly said "We don't need to go there."

Ha! Enjoy four years of the master of gaffes, Obama!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 11:04:19 AM »
Ya know, it's kinda funny, all I could picture was Obama trying to to this:

*waves hand* these aren't the droids you're looking for.......
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 11:08:19 AM »
He's the President.  The next 4 years of his life are work time.  WTF did he think he was going to get to screw around and do nothing?
Yeah, who does he think he is? Clinton?

Transperancy you can see through.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »
Ya know, it's kinda funny, all I could picture was Obama trying to to this:

*waves hand* these aren't the droids you're looking for.......

Yes.
One day at a time.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 11:52:42 AM »
There's going to be inevitable conflict as the more untenable aspects of the messianic worship Obama's enjoyed begins to break down, and friction between the administration and the rest of the MSM/liberal establishment begins.

I suspect this is going to be the only source of pleasure I'll find in the news for the next four years.
I promise not to duck.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
"Ahh, see," he said, "I came down here to visit. See this is what happens. I can't end up visiting with you guys and shaking hands if I'm going to get grilled every time I come down here."

Can't I just sit here and eat my waffle. =D

Yes, Lord Obama, sorry to have questioned you, my lord. :rolleyes:
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 12:22:07 PM »
I wouldn't attribute much to the first week or so.  The press corps is used to a very private and secretive president, and they are trying to figure out the best way to deal with the new guy.  Also, the new guy is going to have to learn how to deal with the press bugging him every second.

I do think the love affair will be over soon, though.  Obama is going to have to do some unpopular things to keep this country alive, or he's going to do popular things and drag this country down worse.  Either way, It'll end soon.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2009, 12:45:31 PM »
I like that they were asking him tough questions...  What the heck did he think the press was going to do?  I know they have been his cheerleaders for the past 2 years, but there is bound to be someone who is going to have to ask questions.  You know the question made a solid point too... he wouldn't have been irritated had the question been a softball.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2009, 12:53:45 PM »
Obama does not seem to handle being asked questions well. I think if the press had done their job before now people would not be surprised by this. I predict a press conference meltdown once he gets stressed and a reporter has the gall to ask him a real question.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »
This one, I think, does qualify as politics.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »
This one, I think, does qualify as politics.

So, instead of stating what topics aren't politics, is it just faster to flag ones that are?  =D

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »
Don't tease the bear, kids.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 02:44:31 PM »
How classy and Presidential...... :rolleyes:

At least as Presidential as having goofy nicknames for everyone you work with.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 03:15:19 PM »
This is a continuation ofa  pattern it seems.

And, as has been pointed out, he is the Pres now.  He has no true social life for hte next four years, any and ALL social engagements are work as well.  Any time he steps out in public he needs to expect to be asked hard quistions, and he needs to be ready to answer, or know where to look for the answer on the spot.

Time to settle in and get used to his new job?   He has had the last 2 and a half months for that.  He is now the most powerful person in the world.  He damned well better be ready for it right now.  We have too mayn enemies in the world for him not to be ready for the job when he takes that oath.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
I think he honestly had no idea of some of the things he would (will) be hit with, from the wake up call of what's really going on in the world via classified security briefings, to having his motives directly questioned. This is a mindset I've seen with people with his background, i.e., the "Community Organizer" and NGO background.

I deal with a lot of the NGO types, and they are ALWAYS shocked when they or their motives are questioned. They truly believe they're doing the right thing, and have everyone's best interest at heart, and can't understand why people won't just do what they say -- after all, they're here to make things and people better.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."