Author Topic: Geek gun "Bluetooth sniper rifle"  (Read 7660 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Geek gun "Bluetooth sniper rifle"
« on: March 14, 2005, 06:39:47 AM »
check out this piece of tec:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article106.php

The gun, which is called the BlueSniper rifle, can scan and attack Bluetooth devices from more than a mile away. The first version of the gun showed up at Defcon 2004, a hacker/computer security convention held annually in Las Vegas.

While the early version was held together with tie-straps and rubber bands, this newest version has a much more professional look. The team at Flexilis learned a lot from making their previous gun, and have made many improvements. The gun is now bigger, stronger and more durable and the antenna is almost twice a powerful as the older model. It also has a small computer which eliminates the need for lugging around a heavy laptop just to gather data.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 08:26:48 AM »
From the looks of it, it may cause someone to get shot by a nervous LEO if they're not carefull. Maybe make it look less like a rifle. There are cops in Milwaukee who shot people with just either combs, wallets or cassette tapes in theirs hands, this thing just says "shoot me".
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

gbelleh

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 10:21:57 AM »
So, what does it do?
gbelleh

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 10:38:16 AM »
Quote from: gbelleh
So, what does it do?
It can "scan and attack Bluetooth devices", whatever in the Seven Hells that means. Smiley
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 10:49:53 AM »
Cool new laser tag technology, methinks
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 10:50:41 AM »
It means all those folks with Bluetooth enabled devices are going to hate life if things like this get popular.

Chris

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 11:17:53 AM »
Sorry to be so technologically behind the times, but what are Bluetooth devices???
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 11:30:52 AM »
BT is a short range wireless networking standard that allows devices to communicate with each other.  It's how people connect their cellphones to those fancy earpieces without a visible wire, or use their cellphone and pda together, etc.  

I haven't paid much attention to BT, so I may have left out some important details, but that's how it's normally used.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2005, 12:25:11 PM »
If your cell phone is chating at a 3 foot range to the ear piece,
this can-tenna can snipe the data from several blocks away

if your bluetooth organizer is chatty and unsecured, the device could offload all your data while you are waiting at the bus stop.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2005, 04:14:23 PM »
Technology marches on.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2005, 04:21:14 PM »
Note to self:  STAY AS LOW-TECH AS YOU ARE TODAY!

Seriously, what a headache. I'm just thankful for my pen and notepad. And most of all for my tin foil hat, since at this rate it wont be long before my brain waves are read from afar...
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 08:03:25 PM »
All the while...
The old fellow with the pocket protector filled with pencils ,pens,small notebook and slide rule finds two quarters to feed the pay phone and wonders what all the hub-bub is about.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 01:37:03 AM »
If he can find a payphone...

They're being removed due to vandelism and lack of use.

Chris

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 01:40:48 AM »
bluetooth is a disaster, and it's paying my (figurative) bills right now. i love it!

one day, people will learn to secure all wireless connections before even putting them on the market. one day.

Control Group

• http://control-group.livejournal.com
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 06:30:46 AM »
Quote from: pauli
bluetooth is a disaster, and it's paying my (figurative) bills right now. i love it!

one day, people will learn to secure all wireless connections before even putting them on the market. one day.
The assumption that they can be secured is an iffy one, IMHO. I'd make the argument that any time you're deliberately broadcasting your data, they're insecure. Period. No matter what fancy new encryption you employ, it can be broken if someone cares enough. Wire communications can be tapped too, of course, but you're much more likely to know that someone's attached a device to your patch cable...and they had to get past your physical security as well.

Wireless won't be reliably securable (even in the limited "my data aren't worth the trouble it would take to get them" sense) until quantum encryption becomes commonplace: at least you'll know if someone's intercepting your data.

Although, come to think of it, one could probably design a one-time-pad system that would work conveniently enough. You've got two devices that need to talk to each other...give one of them the ability to generate a random keystream x million characters long...set it up such that it can share the keystream with the other device, but only over a hard connection...synch it up once, and then consume the keystream character by character as the two devices communicate. Generate new noise whenever you run out of keystream, and resynch your communications.

Now that it's occurred to me, it seems so obvious I have to think someone's already done it.

Of course, if not, can I have the patent on the class of devices described in this post? Wink

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 02:39:40 AM »
It amazes me how many people out there don't even bother to set up the encryption on their wireless internet connections. I can put my laptop in the car and drive around half the city without ever being without an available open connection, kinda sad. With that level of technical ignorance tools like this arent even necessary.

Anyone else notice that the pistol grip on that thing looks like it got pulled right off an ar15?

uvakat

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 03:28:45 AM »
Quote from: c_yeager
It amazes me how many people out there don't even bother to set up the encryption on their wireless internet connections. I can put my laptop in the car and drive around half the city without ever being without an available open connection, kinda sad. With that level of technical ignorance tools like this arent even necessary.

Anyone else notice that the pistol grip on that thing looks like it got pulled right off an ar15?
LOL  try a college town... when my building's power was out because of hurricane isabel, most of the kids in my apt building ended up grabbing somebody's internet who was in the next apt building over. A bunch of us were ready to write the guy a thank you note for not encrypting his internet, but we figured we might need it again. I just thought it was funny as heck... since I think I later found out that the guy was a CS major.
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 04:00:28 AM »
I bought a new laptop last week, and I have yet to plug it into my cable modem. Apparently my neigbors have a wireless network. In fact, I am using in now.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2005, 04:11:01 AM »
part of the problem is that it is far simpler for a manufacturer to support an unencripted product

plug it in and it works

shutting down the SSID and making it secure requires a 5th grader
capable of checking some radio dialboxes and typing a password.

Why should a culdesac of yuppies all pay 30 bucks a month for email & web surf?

a small co-op could set up a microcast 811g node with a shared password and 1 cable connection

onions!

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2005, 04:31:12 AM »
That looks like the "rifle"the Jawas in Star Wars used to disable R2D2.Wink

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 04:43:47 AM »
Harry,

Actually, I know plenty of people that do just that.  I also know a guy who can't get DSL to his house, but the firestation across the street (he's a volunteer) can.  He got the DSL installed there and used wireless to get it to his house.

Before broadband became commonplace, some people would share the cost of a T-1 and share the circuit.

I have my wireless locked down pretty tight (max encryption supported by the device, no SSID broadcast, wireless device access list, firewalls on each box, etc).  Most of the other wireless routers within view of my laptop's card (from the house) are locked down as well, which makes me happy.  I get warm and fuzzies when I see that people have a basic understanding of security. Smiley

Chris

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2005, 05:11:21 PM »
I was at Defcon when they unveiled the Bluetooth sniper rifle.  Good concept.  Few negative points.  Appearance.  Subtle would be better.  Also, it's a highly directional antenna that also pipes the RF feed straight into the head of anyone 'operating' the rifle.  Not a good thing, RF energy causes cellular damage.

Think of this piece of technology as a lego block.  Other blocks, such as Bluetooth enabled cell phones that allow a remote user to dial numbers or making an 802.11G variant of the sniper rifle, weave a very complex web.  If it makes you feel any better, technology can be used by dissenting parties as well as Big Brother.  Many whistleblowers are putting information out by anonymous use.  Peer to peer networks make it impossible for state censorship to be complete.  Crypto and stegnography are important tools of freedom.  

Perhaps more important than firearms.  Firearms are the insurance policy, in case ALL other means fail.  Having a very robust Internet prevents the media or the government from having a lock on the news.   The communist Chinese government is slowly learning this.  So are repressive theocracies like Saudi Arabia.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2005, 05:23:39 PM »
Bah, only a mile?

Look up www.cantenna.com

Or do a google for "yagi antenna", or "soup can antenna". Just remember signal detection grows exponentially doubling at roughly every 3db gain. People have been making these for years. It's not that hard. All about building the directional array to align with the frequency. Probably the coolest I've seen was a guy running wireless 802.1g, on a Slackware install in his car. He also had cell phone access setup for remote locations. He was running GPS services across the Inet too. If I remember correctly he was using Kismet to detect networks.

If you guys want to geek out on something: www.keyhole.com  
Just remember you need broadband, and a decent video card. Now if only I could get that running in my car...

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2005, 05:25:27 PM »
The more I look at that picture I keep thinking new "reality" TV show...call it; Queer Guy for the Wireless Eye".