Author Topic: Just tried my hand at...  (Read 1598 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Just tried my hand at...
« on: November 05, 2005, 02:40:43 PM »
southern style biscuits, the kind mtnbkr was posting about...

I think I'm too much of a Northern boy.

They were nice and tender, they rose fine, but they only tasted.... enh. Nothing to write home about.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Chuck Dye

Just tried my hand at...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 07:37:41 PM »
The secret is in the sho't'nin', Mike (punctuation police, save me before I murder again!:))  Lard is LARD, not Crisco or any other such abomination.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Just tried my hand at...
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 08:01:30 PM »
I had hoped that by saying Southern style I wouldn't have to point out the fact that I used lard.

No shortening, no oil, no butter.

Just lard, and buttermilk.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Just tried my hand at...
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 02:42:26 AM »
Just lard, and buttermilk.
There's your problem, you left out the flour. Tongue

Nothing magic about it, you just use the right (unmeasured) amounts of lard, self rising flour, and buttermilk.

Arthritic fingers help.

Oh, and you've WATCHED me make them before.  Next time, take notes. Tongue

Chris

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Just tried my hand at...
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 04:22:43 AM »
I said try yoga, not Southern food for your bad back.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mtnbkr

• friend
Just tried my hand at...
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 04:39:21 AM »
Quote from: El Tejon
I said try yoga, not Southern food for your bad back.Cheesy
Good point.  Southern food is good for the soul, not the body. Cheesy

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Just tried my hand at...
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 05:57:17 AM »
"Oh, and you've WATCHED me make them before.  Next time, take notes."

You only think that I was watching you make biscuits.

I was actually watching your butt wiggle, fatboy... Cheesy

I think maybe the problem is that I'm just too much a yeast roll kind of guy...

I didn't use your grandmother's recipe. I used the White Lily flour recipe, found on page 139 of Alton Brown's cookbok. You know the one I mean... More Food.

I used regular flour and baking powder.

mtnbkr

• friend
Just tried my hand at...
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 06:24:42 AM »
I think maybe the problem is that I'm just too much a yeast roll kind of guy...
The problem is, you're not following the "recipe".  Use self rising flower, buttermilk, and lard.  Then, the only problem is getting the right amounts and not overworking it.  Actually, the hard part is getting the right amount of lard.  The flour and buttermilk can be adjusted midstream to get the right consistency, it's hard to add lard after you start mixing.  

To recap:  I sift about 6 cups of flour into a large bowl.  Next, I wash my hands very well.  I then take about a handful of lard (yes, I scoop it out by hand).  I form a crater in the center of the bowl of flour and put this lump of lard into that crater.  I start gently working flour into the lard while slowly pouring some buttermilk over the resulting lump (about half a cup or so).  I work that together while slowing adding flour to the lump from the sides of the "crater".  If it looks like I started with too much lard and need more flour and buttermilk to offset, I add a bit more buttermilk and work it in while letting the lump grab flour from the edges of the "crater".  When I feel it's "right", I wash my hands again and dry completely.  I then dust my hands well and pinch off pieces a bit larger than a golf ball.  I roll these lumps a bit in my flour-dusty hands, put them into a lightly lard-greased pan, and press them a touch with two knuckles.

I bake them at 450 for about 10-15 minutes (or until the bottoms brown)  then put them in the broiler for a couple minutes to brown the tops.

That's it.  The biggest problem is getting the lard right.  Too little and you get a dry, tasteless biscuit.  Too much and you get greasy pastry dough-like biscuits.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Just tried my hand at...
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 06:33:58 AM »
I said I didn't use your GRANDMA's recipe, I used the White Lily Flour recipe, the one found on the side of the sack. I wasn't trying to replicate your biscuits, I was just trying to get my Northern mind into a Southern frame of reference. I think I ought to actually move back North and shake the flour of the south off my hands...

Yer Grandma's recipe may be the only one to you, but she's actually bobbing around in a buttermilk sea of little old southern ladies, each who has her own particular take on these southern biscuits.

My biscuits turned out a lot more like Cracker Barrel's than your Grandma's, and that's because I used double acting baking powder instead of self-rising flour.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Just tried my hand at...
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 09:16:37 AM »
mtnbkr, as a man living in Alobammo and with a mother in law from Jawjuh, that is the best description I've ever seen of the secret to true Southern biscuits.

There's something about that "crater" that forms the basis of most Southern cooking.  Not sure what that's all about...