Author Topic: Portable DVD players  (Read 1304 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Portable DVD players
« on: November 11, 2005, 07:21:26 AM »
Does anyone know what to look for in a Portable DVD player?  Also, what brands are good and which ones are junk?  

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars one one because this is mainly for our daughter to use during long trips.  However, it would be nice to get one that could double as a regular DVD player once we get to our destination(s).  Since she's a bit young to fathom how delicate electronics can be, I want something that easily hangs from the back of the seat in front of her.  The Coby TF-DVD7705 fits all our needs and is affordable, but I'm unfamiliar with the brand.  Looking online shows mixed reviews.

Any opinions?  Keep in mind it's primary use is playing Wiggles/Sesame St/Winnie the Pooh DVDs.  Maybe occasionally it'll be used to view regular movies.  Battery capability is required (not all Portable players have this).  I don't need game console compatability or surround sound, etc.

Chris

MaterDei

• friend
Portable DVD players
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 08:02:10 AM »
The Coby unit you almost identical to a unit made by RCA.  This is a review.  http://reviews.cnet.com/RCA_DRC618N/4505-6498_7-30913713-2.html?tag=sub

I'm looking into this unit by Audiovox because I want something that will mount in my van that can be seen in the second and third rows.  It might be outside of your budget but you might want to look into it.  It has mounts for both car and home use.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_cat_shuttle.jsp?type=nprev&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=874323&langId=-1&page=&urlString=&productId=&brand=

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Portable DVD players
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 08:20:57 AM »
I have an Insignia portable DVD player with a 10" screen for the office.  Very rugged, almost Tejon-proof.

We use it for our club road trips.  There's an adapter you can get at Radio Shack that plays the sound via the van's stereo.  We duct tape the player to a flat cool lid so everyone in the van can see.  You can open the cooler for a water or barley pop and not distrub the player.  Or you can run multiple headphones into it.  I've used it flying as well.  

Think I paid $300 for it at Best Buy.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Portable DVD players
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 04:21:41 PM »
i use my laptop for the kids in flight DVD player
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Capteddie

Portable DVD players
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 08:39:59 PM »
my wife got me a Panasonic from dell last year for x-mas.  been very happy with it.