Author Topic: Well, there are lots of jobs out there for people in my field...  (Read 4509 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Well, there are lots of jobs out there for people in my field...
« on: November 12, 2005, 07:29:04 AM »
I'm not feeling quite so panicky!

Trying to write the perfect resume?

That's making me feel panicky!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 07:56:57 AM »
Stop panicking! You'll do fine! Smiley

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 08:06:51 AM »
Lotsa jobs?  Well, yeah, if you're a 25-year-old PhD with 15 years' experience.

Cheesy, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Paddy

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 11:48:23 AM »
Every time I get a new job, I always update my resume right away, because I know sooner or later it's gonna come to a bad end. Still, I'm able to keep it down to one page, drop off the oldest job, add the newest.  Keep it short and sweet, all the resume does is get you the interview and that's where you close the deal.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 11:56:42 AM »
Mike, try a headhunter or an employment service that specializes in your field, or a field that you are qualified for.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 12:37:27 PM »
Man, I update my resume a week or less into a new job.  

I'm not pessimistic (well, that's not entirely accurate) I'm prepared!

People who can coherently string concepts and ideas together are always in demand. You'll be fine.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

onions!

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 01:04:49 PM »
I wish you a speedy re-employment.

That said,& I'm not intending to hijack(or attack) anything but geez,how many jobs have you guys had?I'm 35 & on my third.3,8,& 8 years.When my employer starts looking at applications those w/job changes every few years or less go to the bottom-just below those marked"np"(no pen-as in I didn't think that one would be needed to fill out an app).

Is the job market that different in other fields?

puzzled in Mi,jeffw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 01:18:43 PM »
Jeff,

I'm 40.

Since starting my professional career, I was 18 months with a newspaper, 3.5 years with NRA, out of work during a horrendous economy for about a year, with NFCU for 3.5 years, and now with SAIC for just shy of 7 years.

I don't think that's all that bad.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

onions!

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 01:37:47 PM »
Nope,not bad at all.It's just a couple of posts made me wonder if there were still dinosaurs roaming Western Michigan that's all.('cept Newaygo County that is;))

Paddy

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 02:29:43 PM »
but geez,how many jobs have you guys had?
I can't remember the exact number, somewhere around two dozen, including 15 years of self employment.  You know going in they're going to schtup you, it's just a matter of when.  I don't take job changes too seriously.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 03:52:35 PM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Jeff,

I'm 40.

Since starting my professional career, I was 18 months with a newspaper, 3.5 years with NRA, out of work during a horrendous economy for about a year, with NFCU for 3.5 years, and now with SAIC for just shy of 7 years.

I don't think that's all that bad.
I'm 43, and once I got on a stable career path, I was with one company (major appliance manufacturer) for 6 years; EDS for a year, SAIC (actually a partner company) for 4.

In today's economy, leaving is often the only way to 'create' a promotion or get off of an unfulfilling career path.
41mag, with all respect, your experience is more the anomaly these days.
Most people I talk to agree that the days of 30 years and a gold watch are gone forever.

...has left the building.

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 04:01:20 PM »
41mag- I'm on my third job out of college and I graduated a year and a half ago. From what I can tell, most of my peers have had the same experience.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2005, 08:17:26 AM »
Reminding myself not to send a resume' to SAIC...

I know what you mean about the perfect resume' thing, Mike.  I'm struggling myself, and paying a firm $200 to write one that covers a 20 year military career in nuclear forensics, transport meteorology, airborne reconnaissance, and applied physics.  Sad
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2005, 08:17:51 AM »
41mag,

It depends a lot on the industry.  In software engineering, where I'm at, there was a period (during the dot-com bubble's inflation) where switching jobs was just about the only way to advance your career; rather than promote from within, a lot of companies would just hire someone to be above you, even if the new person was equally or less qualified than you.  

I've been in the industry for 12 years, now:
3.25 years at CSTI
0.75 years at Lockheed Martin WDL (left because they flat-out lied to me about what I'd be doing)[0]
2 years at E-Systems/Raytheon Systems Company
1 year at MKS Datafocus (I left/was terminated largely because my boss was a pusillanimous man-child)
1 year at ComScore (my entire R&D group was laid off for lack of funding)
4 years at my current company.

The guy who hired me at my present company was initially leery, because my Lockheed, MKS, and ComScore gigs made me look like a job-hopper, and it took a lot of convincing him that I left them not out of lack of willingness to commit, but because of untenable circumstance.

In computers, anyway, there's a fine balance to be struck; if you switch job too often, you're seen as a job-hopper, but if you stay in one place for too long, you're perceived as an unmotivated drone.

I'm sure it's completely different in a lot of other professions.

-BP

• In the interview, they told me I'd be developing new software in C/C++ on UNIX.  Once I got the job, they told me that I'd actually be doing in-field maintenance and emergency bug-fixes on a byzantine system written in Fortran 77 (!) running on VAXen under VMS.  In other words, a short, narrow road to dead-end-ville.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 02:52:29 PM »
Be thankful you are not pushing 50.  At or about 50 you become stoopid, unreliable, non-contributory, and unhealthy.  You then get to listen to the same idiot hiring authorities bitch and bellyache about not being able to find good help.  

Get yourself independent as soon as practical.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2005, 06:43:28 PM »
5o! Wait until you hit 62. So far all I can do is teach. Thank goodness I owe nobody.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 12:49:38 AM »
Most people I talk to agree that the days of 30 years and a gold watch are gone forever.
My wife worked for a little company called "Aetna" (you may have heard of it) for 27 years. She started right out of HS. They sold out to ING a couple years ago and let her go shortly afterward.

In the HVAC industry a new job every 3-4 years is the norm. I put up with it until I finally decided to employ myself. Suddenly I've had the same job for 7 years now and nobody is going to schtup me any time soon. Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 03:35:34 AM »
I'd be more than happy to stay with a company for 30 years.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 04:32:16 AM »
I'd be more than happy to stay with a company for 30 years.
Me too. Unfortunately today's average employer is more loyal to the almighty dollar and the "bottom line" than he (or she) is to the people that bust their chops for them. I employed myself because I developed the notion that noone but me had my best interests in mind. It's not "What have you done for me?" It's "What have you done for me LATELY?"
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 05:26:10 AM »
To paraphrase a good ole' boy: You cain't swing a dead cat around these parts without hitting an ex-SAIC employee. Lots of other 3-or 4-letter companies with good long-term contracts. It's just a matter of finding your way through the network. Good luck Mike.
TC (ex-SAIC employee)
TC
RT Refugee