Author Topic: Looking for more suggestions for my website...again  (Read 1095 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Looking for more suggestions for my website...again
« on: November 13, 2005, 02:06:12 PM »
I started working on my site--www.gunshopfinder.com--in February of 2004. I started making phone calls for free subscriptions to it in June of 2004.

The phone calling is the most time-consuming part, far more than I ever expected. That means that I don't have anywhere near the number of trial as well as paying subscribers that I thought I would by this time. On the bright side, more than two-thirds of the stores that were on trial subscriptions are paying to renew.

The site is bringing in $1000 to $1500 a month right now, depending upon how much time I have to make phone calls. The problem is that, between the time I have to devote to freelancing for a local photo studio, and medical problems, I haven't been putting in 40 hours a week making phone calls.

So, I have to figure out a way to make the calling process more effective. Any suggestions on how to do that would be much appreciated.

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to make the site generate revenue in other areas. For example, I have banner ads for Henry Rifles on all of their pages, and they get about 400 clicks a month. I'm going to approach other manufacturers--ones who get far more page views, and who have online clothing and accessory stores--to see if they'd be interested in running ads on their product pages.

Considering that I'm getting 150,000 to 250,000 visitors a month and several million page views a month, there's potential for revenue if the manufacturers are willing to give it a go.

I'm also thinking about dropping the Legislative News section, which gets very few page views, and replacing it with a section for archery products. The majority of visitors to the site right now come in after searching for "Remington shotguns" or "Kimber pistols," etc. If I can bring in visitors looking for "Hoyt bows" or other brands, that will increase traffic.

It may also give me a chance to put Google Adsense ads on those archery pages. Google won't let me run ads on the site right now, because guns are "inappropriate content." If they agree to let me put their ads only on the archery pages, that could provide additional income.

I guess what I'm asking of anyone who's reading this thread is for ideas on how to make the site more profitable and less labor-intensive.

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »
I'd sign up with some affiliate programs, similar to what I've done with SAFR's site, but use them as advertisers. Usually, you'll get between 3 and 5% of the amount a person spends at a retailer if they click through your site. Since there is no effort in doing this beyond the original addition of the links, and occasional updates, you don't have to do a lot.  If you want the addresses of some of the ones I use, shoot me an email and I'll get them to you.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 02:28:06 PM »
Hmm..Michigan Sportsman has google ads. I wonder how google thinks all those deer get killed, minivans?

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:51:49 AM »
I know nothing of how this works, just what I've seen on other websites, but it seems that selling advertising would be the way to make more $$$.
I see Cheaper than Dirt banners on quite a few sites and forums, maybe contact them?
Barbara's affiliate program idea makes a lot of sense too.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 12:27:34 PM »
garyk/nm, running ads for Cheaper Than Dirt might tick off the gun stores that pay to be on my site. Wink