Author Topic: Real ID  (Read 1102 times)

Real ID
« on: November 13, 2005, 08:11:27 PM »
If you thought the Republicans were worth trusting for a moment:

http://news.com.com/FAQ+How+Real+ID+will+affect+you/2100-1028_3-5697111.html

It is a complex piece of legislation, and should have been debated on its own (not added into the War Appropriations bill).

SalukiFan

• friend
Real ID
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 01:10:38 AM »
That is creepy and it seems disingenuous.  

Greater security against terrorists huh?  Yeah right.

My partner called me from Logan International Airport on Saturday.  Remember Boston's Logan airport - that place two of the 9/11 flights left from?  

She told me that two young men who were traveling together and acting kind of suspiciously were ahead of her in the security line.  One of them produced a PHOTOCOPIED ID with zero explanation (no, my wallet was stolen or anything), wasn't able to produce a boarding pass at first (his friend had it and had already gone through) and they were both let through with no problems.  

I told her that if they were on her flight to tell me and we would talk about other ways to get her home.  

I wish El-Al flew domestically.  Ugh.

But back to the ID issue.  I'm curious as to why Republicans would overwhelmingly vote for this - is it just because it is a rider on a defense spending bill?  Or is the National ID an easier way to curb illegal immigrants from receiving government benefits?  Hmm, curious...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Real ID
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 01:29:15 AM »
And how long before forgeries are available?
Avoid cliches like the plague!