Author Topic: How to "mothball" a hot water heater??  (Read 2753 times)

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
How to "mothball" a hot water heater??
« on: November 14, 2005, 11:44:49 AM »
My house has two natural gas hot water heaters, located in the basement next to each other in the middle of the house.  Previous owner had mucho kidlets, and appreciated a hot shower. One runs half the house, etc, etc...

The way the plumbing is arranged, I can theoretically shut one off, turn some valves, and have one heater run the whole place.  Since there's only three of us, I figured that shutting one heater down will save me a bunch on gas. (Huh?)

If I shut one down and isolate it, do I have to drain it, or should I just leave it alone ?
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 12:09:34 PM »
Absolutely drain it.

After a while, the water inside will stagnate and it will become a prime breeding point for nasty stuff, such as Legionella (Legionnair's Disese).
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 12:46:08 PM »
shut the gas off to it, drain it and leave the drain valve open to all the moisture to dry out.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:33:55 PM »
BTW, it's just a water heater, not a hot water heater.  Hot water does not need to be heated. Tongue

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 02:37:53 PM »
At current prices the average natural gas water heater costs $10-12 per month to maintain water temp. Before someone starts shouting, I said MAINTAIN not RECOVER. If the unit is in use, obviously it will take more gas to heat the incoming water than it will to maintain the temp of the water stored in the unit.

If it hasn't been done already, a simple water heater blanket/wrap will do more than you realize insofar as helping efficiency. Also, wrapping the exposed piping with thermal foam wrap will help. People don't realize just how much heat is lost due to the copper piping conducting heat away from the storage tank. In case you didn't know, copper is twice as efficient at thermal transfer as aluminum, which is twice as efficent as steel. All the copper piping you can see under your house is acting like a big radiator pulling heat out of your water heater's storage tank.

Also, just turning down the thermostat on the heater will do more than you realize. Combined with a blanket and some simple foam wrap, just turning the thermostat down to minimum can easily cut the gas use on an idle water heater a whopping 60-70%. Plus, you will have quick access to hot water if you ever need it by just turning up the thermostat. The latent heat in the system will also give an added measure of freezing protection when the mercury really starts to drop.

I don't know that I'd mothball the whole thing. It seems that unused things deteriorate faster than those used in moderation. And some simple steps will keep the gas use to a minimum while still allowing you to access the water when needed.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 02:58:07 PM »
Dielectric heat trap nipples are also crucial at keeping hot water in the HOT WATER HEATER... Smiley

I really hesitate to wrap a gas appliance in a water heater blanket. A lot of sites I've seen recommend against it. I'd only do it if it if using fiberglass insulation with a non-flammable or fire retardent out coating.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »
I really hesitate to wrap a gas appliance in a water heater blanket. A lot of sites I've seen recommend against it. I'd only do it if it if using fiberglass insulation with a non-flammable or fire retardent out coating.
I would only use the units that have cut-outs for  the thermostat and vent cover areas, and in no case would I use one was that was not made of 100% fire-retardant materials.

Would you believe I have actually seen someone wrap a water heater in ratty old cotton blankets they picked up at Goodwill? Secured with duct tape, no less. They were so proud at the money they had saved shocked

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 05:25:54 PM »
Would you believe I have actually seen someone wrap a water heater in ratty old cotton blankets they picked up at Goodwill? Secured with duct tape, no less. They were so proud at the money they had saved
I'd believe it, although real cheapskates use saved string, not expensive duct tape.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 03:37:00 AM »
If it's plumbed as such, you could run both heaters in series, with the first one just turned off. The water in the tank will be continually renewed so you won't have to worry about legionella.

I've never worried too much about insulating the hot water heater or hot water pipes... The heat they lose just helps heat the house in the winter. And in the summer the natural gas bills are only like $30 so it must not be losing that much heat.