Author Topic: Church goers...just 5% in England  (Read 5023 times)

telewinz

• friend
Church goers...just 5% in England
« on: March 14, 2005, 02:00:52 PM »
With only 5% of the people in England attending church on a regular basis, I doubt that America is far behind.  What went wrong?
Career Corrections

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 02:14:19 PM »
Perhaps some people are more comfortable talking to God in the privacy of their own homes for whatever reason.  He is everywhere, you know.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 04:06:08 PM »
If you lived in England, would you belive in God? Smiley

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 04:24:07 PM »
Another thought on the subject...the Church of England (Anglican) denomination in England is now being piloted by Nigerian born Christians living in England who are decidedly more conservative than their American counterparts - interesting irony ehh?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Chris Rhines

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 05:49:38 PM »
This is a problem how, exactly?

- Chris

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 07:39:52 PM »
Is this place of worship attendance, or simply "church" (christian connotation)?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

wasrjoe

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 07:45:33 PM »
Religions come, religions go. Some take longer than others. Some change and simply keep the name. Perhaps Christianity is leaving us?
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 01:50:30 AM »

Never said it was a problem but whats the cause?  Western values can and are being taught outside the church (traditional source)? Or those values no longer apply?
Career Corrections

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 02:21:49 AM »
It is just another sad symptom of the decline of the English society.    

"Perhaps some people are more comfortable talking to God in the privacy of their own homes for whatever reason."

All of the people I know who don't go to church have no real faith.  There is nothing that suggests that the 95% of non churchgoers in England just prefer to worship at home, they have simply lost their faith and embraced secular humanism.  Those that have been graced by faith WANT to go to church and they want to shout their joy from the mountaintop.  

Will America follow?  No time soon.  Church attendance in this country is up, not down.  We just elected a president, for the first time in history, because of 'moral issues'.  This country is being attacked by the forces of evil like never before.  That is a good sign.

Jason

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 03:54:03 AM »
Quote from: Chris Rhines

- Chris
Exactly.  I'm starting to think that maybe if England allowed gun ownership it would be Utopia... Tongue

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 06:40:55 AM »
Thats us, godless heathens Smiley

Now where did I put that ruddy goat?

OTH christian worship does seem to be expiring in this country.  Very possibly a symptom of either increased self reliance and education or a symptom of increasing hedonism and self centred attitudes.

Who knows, I like christians but do not view the church, be it anglican, catholic, muslim, whatever, as a good thing. A tool for evil men if you look at history.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

Sean Smith

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 06:57:56 AM »
Quote from: Atc1man

- Chris
Exactly.  I'm starting to think that maybe if England allowed gun ownership it would be Utopia... Tongue
Well, there is the weather and the food... Tongue

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 03:28:06 PM »
Quote from: Sean Smith
Quote from: Atc1man

- Chris
Well, there is the weather and the food... Tongue
...and the efficient health care system and low taxes.  UK, here I come.

I guess I have always viewed church as a positive factor in my life and regularily attend.  While most religions have been used as a tool of evil at some point in time, this was the fault of evil men (and women), not the "church."  Additionally, there are numerous other institutions that have been used for evil purposes, that have been able to clean up their act.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 04:30:16 PM »
All of the people I know who don't go to church have no real faith.  

Maybe you need to broaden your circle of friends.  I know a wide variety of very spiritual people who do not attend church.  I also know some real evil SOBs who do.  The converse is also true.  It's all about the person, not the building.

Those that have been graced by faith WANT to go to church and they want to shout their joy from the mountaintop.  

Or those who have REAL faith don't need to crow about it.  Don't they say fool's gold shines brightest or something to that effect?

trapperjohn

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 05:22:20 PM »
"A tool for evil men if you look at history."
Yes such evil deed as :
1) taking care of orhpans
2) building hospitals
3) feeding the poor
4) housing the poor
5) helping to abolish slavery
6) helped india eliminate buring th ewomen to death at the husbands funeral
7) helped do away with chinese custom of foot breaking
Cool irish monks singlhandedly preserving much of western civilizations writings

Such an aweful institution. so much more warlike and evil than a good athiestic governemnet like soviet russia, red china, or cuba
When gun owners love their guns more than freedom, we have a problem.

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 11:54:20 PM »
Good points Trapper, You are correct that practitioners have made a real and positive difference in some cases. Just in case you think I'm some kind of mindless bigot, I don't believe that Faith is a bad thing. I have it myself.

I will not refute that thanks to the christian church/islam/etal being around for 2000 years or so and having a respect for scholorship, where it did not disagree with the leaderships view of the world (see Gallileo and others), that they have been solely responsible for the preservation and continuance of learning in humanities darkest days.

However, where an organised religion has had political power, the results have been, shall we say, messy.  What do you think paid for all those nice churches, mosques, temples, paintings etc?

In the round, over the last couple of millenia, organised religion has been used by powerful people as a tool of oppression and a neat excuse to rape and pillage. With respect, athiestic systems such as china and russia bear striking resemblances to other societies in history that have revolved around a single, rigidly enforced, philosophy/dogma. They also both have reverence for the annointed prophet, Lenin, uncle Joe, Moa etc.  Both sides of the same coin you might say. I am making the point that humans aren't nice to each other and some, given the opportunity, make very effective use of organised religion or dogma as a tool to further their own interests.

Go to a library with a history section of reasonable quality armed with the questions below.  

1. Has organised religion co-ordinated, condoned, profited from or encouraged the masses to support wars of acquisition?
2. Has organised religion been used as an excuse to oppress people in manners that directly contradict the teachings of that religion?
3. Did organised religion profit hugely from this?
4. Has organised religion used an ethnic group as a scapegoat when a their all powerful godhead has visited a natural disaster upon the populace?
5. What has been the reaction of the leaders of organised religion/the Party, whatever, when their philosophy/dogma is challenged? Hint: Spanish inquisition, witch burnings, the Gulag etc, etc.
6. Has it been the case that, if enough money was passed over, one could have ones misdeeds forgiven or that, inversly, if one failed to make ones proper contribution then one could well be consigned to eternal damnation?

I'm a man of faith but the god I believe in isn't short of a buck or two and doesn't need acts of street robbery writ large to help us worship.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 01:40:57 AM »
I happen to be christian that has yet to find an organized church that didnt, in one way or another, deeply tick me off. It seems that the norm is either overly invasive "nanny doctrine" or an overflowing cup of good 'ole fashioned hypocrisy. Also the idea of religious leaders buying a new Cadilac every year out of the collection plate just rubs me the wrong way. So, no I don't go to church and I am a better person for it.