Author Topic: Mike Rowe wites a letter to President Obama  (Read 10144 times)

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
Mike Rowe wites a letter to President Obama
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »
I was poking around youtube and ran across this clip of Mike Rowe talking.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-udsIV4Hmc(it's kind of long but worth watching.)
I followed the link to Mike's website,http://www.mikeroweworks.com/,and found his letter to President Obama.

http://www.mikeroweworks.com/mikes-office/letter-to-the-president/

30 January 2009

President Barack Obama
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington DC

“For everywhere we look, there is work to be done.”

Dear Mr. President,

Much of what you said on January 20th struck a chord, but nothing matched the simplicity or truth of that particular observation. I am awed by the task at hand, and compelled to tell you about mikeroweWORKS, a public awareness campaign designed to reinvigorate the trades, reinforce the importance of skilled labor, and draw attention to our crumbling infrastructure.

My name's Mike Rowe, and I host a program on the Discovery Channel called Dirty Jobs. Dirty Jobs is a simple show about hard work. No plot, no script, and no actors. The show relies upon a mission - one that sends me around the country to work as an apprentice in a wide variety of occupations not typically associated with a four-year diploma. From coal mines to cattle ranches, crab boats to construction sites, I've spent the last five years laboring alongside men and women who do the kinds of jobs that make civilized life possible for the rest of us. Now, after 200 dirty jobs, I enjoy a national reputation as an expert in absolutely nothing. However, I have managed to succeed in highlighting an important group of hardworking Americans that I believe deserve our respect, and from whom I think we might learn a thing or two about the meaning of a “good job.”

Forty years ago, people understood that sweat and dirt were the hallmarks of important work. Today, that understanding has faded. Somewhere in our economy’s massive transition from manufacturing to financial services, we have forsaken skilled labor, along with many aspects of our traditional work ethic. Trade school enrollments are down, even as our infrastructure crumbles around us. I don't think that's a coincidence. Community Colleges are routinely described as alternatives to a “proper” education. Madison Avenue bombards us with messages that equate happiness with leisure. Hollywood portrayals of hard work usually embody an element of drudgery or some silly stereotype, and jobs once considered vital to our society are now simply overlooked. The ranks of welders, carpenters, pipe fitters, and plumbers have been declining for years, and now, we face the bizarre reality of rising unemployment, and a shortage of skilled labor. Strange days.

Whether through elitism or indifference, the net result is the same – people have slowly shied away from these jobs. Not because they aren’t important or lucrative – but because they are simply not celebrated. This perception is real Mr. President, and I believe it’s standing squarely in the way of your recovery plan, as well as your initiative for Volunteerism and national service. In my opinion, it needs to be corrected as soon as possible, which brings me back to my idea.

mikeroweWORKS.com is a destination for anyone looking to investigate a career in the Skilled Trades. Its purpose is to encourage, educate, and celebrate the business of Work, by focusing on those opportunities related to rebuilding our national infrastructure. The idea grew from the mission of Dirty Jobs, and evolved with the help of loyal viewers who constantly provide the site with daily links to scholarships, apprenticeships, fellowships, and other worthwhile programs. Large corporations have offered support. Industry leaders, Retired Generals, teachers, laborers, professors, parents, and students have all gotten involved. My hope for mikeroweWORKS is that it function not just as a useful resource, but also as a “call to arms,” and ultimately, a PR Campaign for Skilled Labor. I would like to see mikeroweWORKS help assure that those three or four million jobs you wish to create, are jobs that people feel proud to have.

People often tell me that Dirty Jobs reminds them of a time when Work was not seen as a thing to avoid. When skilled tradesmen were seen as role models, and a paycheck was not the only benefit of a job well done. We need to recapture that sentiment. We need to celebrate, on a bigger scale, the role models right in front of us. Dirty Jobs has given me the opportunity to do that. With a little luck and the right support, mikeroweWORKS, will take it to the next level.

Thank you for your time, Mr. President. Good luck in your term, and please know that mikeroweWORKS and Dirty Jobs are at your disposal.

Sincerely,

Mike Rowe
CEO, mikeroweWORKS,inc.
Executive Producer, Dirty Jobs

So, what say you? Do you agree that skilled/manual labor is belittled and looked down on? This really strikes a chord with me because I have "dirty job". I work in a forge shop. I enjoy working hard, getting dirty and sweating a little bit.
I know that most people here don't have these kind of jobs so maybe it's just me.

So what say you?
The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Mike Rowe wites a letter to President Obama
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:59:27 PM »
Yes.

I agree with Mike Rowe's assesment and his mikeroweWorks program. More later... gotta work.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »
It's a shame the skilled trades are in such decline. On the other hand, it's job security for me.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:24:45 PM »
So, what say you? Do you agree that skilled/manual labor is belittled and looked down on? This really strikes a chord with me because I have "dirty job". I work in a forge shop. I enjoy working hard, getting dirty and sweating a little bit.
I know that most people here don't have these kind of jobs so maybe it's just me.

So what say you?

Absolutely.  We have every HS guidance counselor and policritter pushing for all to "go to college."  The chattering classes look down their noses at folks like Sarah Palin and Joe Wurzelbacher and belittle a plumber for asking a question the MSM ought to have asked months earlier.

Charles Murray thinks we have WAY too many folks going to college and way too few folks going into skilled labor.  "I can easily find a world-class lawyer or doctor, but I can't find a competent mechanic."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »
and now, we face the bizarre reality of rising unemployment, and a shortage of skilled labor.

Is this true?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 08:56:44 PM »
Unemployment is definitely rising. I have no hard numbers for skilled trades, but I'd say conditionally yes. Certain things may have a glut, but overall the trades appear to be desperate for people.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »
Agree 150%.

I'm a product of a trade school. Automotive Technician at South Plains College, Levelland, TX.

Trade school enrollments are down.

(jfruser said:)
......but I can't find a competent mechanic.
I don't know what industry your in, I'm a Service Manager at a Chevrolet Dealership and it's hard to find a competent quick service tech, much less a skilled auto mechanic.

Either they have a felony or can't pass a drug screen or they're just shade tree hacks.

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:26:15 PM »
I hold a "dirty job". It is my job to fix things that no "suit" would want to touch.

I think that a really good strike by all skilled laborers would be the awakening slap in the face this country needs. When skilled labor quits all else will eventually crumble.

There is no other option.

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 09:55:25 PM »
It's a shame the skilled trades are in such decline. On the other hand, it's job security for me.

Balog, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do?
The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 11:38:28 PM »
I tend to agree too.  For some reason, some sections* of our society have decided that every person ought to go to college.  Never mind the nearly crippling cost of tuition that you'll be paying back, even if you do get a good job.  Never mind the fact that there are essential jobs that need to be done in society that don't require a college diploma, but will go undone because everyone went to college.  Never mind the fact that the only reason that college graduates make more is because they are in demand and there is (or was) a low supply of them, and that increasing that supply will glut the market and drive wages down for everyone, and that soon you will need a freaking Masters to make as much as someone who had a B.S. used to make (minus the thousands more in student loans needed for the tuition required to get that masters).  Nope; everyone has to go to college. 

*I think it's the educators, actually.  Sending everyone to college provides job security to the professors who have to teach all those people. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 12:51:14 AM »
People who think that the only essential jobs are producing physical items just don't get it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jimmy Dean

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 12:56:54 AM »
I agree, even though I am a college kid.  (well, college adult, 26 years old, 27 when I gadeate with my college edumication due to prior military service)  But that is simply what my family has always done.

I think my state, LA, sends somewhere around 80% of HS grads to college...honestly, 80%???  If even HALF of those people graduate college, and say 10% of people dont graduate HS,   that means that you have to have one college educated person for every non college educated person,m roughly ( 45 college-educated to 55 non)   WTF!?!?!?

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 01:01:17 AM »
People who think that the only essential jobs are producing physical items just don't get it.

I'm not saying that history profs etc aren't important Micro. But society has greatly devalued the skilled trades. Without us, all the docs, lawyes, and history profs couldn't do their jobs. No one is deriding intellectual professions. We merely want to be respected for our career choices, and have the vital role we play recognized.

Balog, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do?

I'm an (apprecntice) building engineer. Another year and I'll have the hours to test for my electrician's license. Meanwhile, I'm learning everything I can about practical electricity, HVAC, plumbing, and building control systems. As long as people utilize commercial real estate I'll have a good paying job with a lot of opportunity for growth.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 01:14:07 AM »
I'm not saying that history profs etc aren't important Micro. But society has greatly devalued the skilled trades. Without us, all the docs, lawyes, and history profs couldn't do their jobs. No one is deriding intellectual professions. We merely want to be respected for our career choices, and have the vital role we play recognized.

Oh, I'm not even talking about history professors. History professors and doctors are a tiny part of the thousands of people that work in offices, and yet help maintain civilization. Think of the thousands of customer service dudes, clerks, translators, and so forth that enable you to market your product in China or buy Korean electronics.

The truth is that we just simply need less factory workers and truck drivers and so forthtoday. This is not to disparage their work - but I don't think it is a bad thing that people work in cubicles rather than assembly lines today. Such is the slow march of progress.

First we took humanity from the plow and into the factory, and it was a great thing.

Now we're taking humanity from the factory into the office - and this is a good thing too.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 01:18:18 AM »
Both your premise and conclusion are incorrect. However, I don't really feel like staying up and arguing, so hopefully someone will correct you before I wake up tomorrow.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 02:23:16 AM »
Skilled labor is also underpaid up my way (in most cases).   :|

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 08:20:27 AM »

The truth is that we just simply need less factory workers and truck drivers and so forth today.

Not everything is built by robots. Factory workers are still needed (overseas). In Texas we're hiring truck drivers everyday. Those products built in China don't walk to wal-mart on their own.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »
I think that the meaning will be lost on a president that has never put in an honest day's work in his life.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 08:55:59 AM »
I'm afraid that I not only have to agree with the position that skilled labor is often looked down upon.  I consider mysefl fortunate in that while I was attending law school, I worked for a city in the maintainance department.  In that job, I learned many useful things to help me make it through life (how to repair a toilet, fix a leeking faucet, etc.).  I then spent several months with the street department doing paving.  As in using a rake to smooth the seams between rows of asphalt on road surfaces, then using hot tar to seal the seams.  It was a dirty job, but I learned the value of the work, and learned to respect the men and women who did that work.  I also learned that those people have great intelligence that goes unappreciated.  Most of these people can do some complex math in their heads to figure measurements, etc.  One of the smartest people I've ever met was a high school drop out and licensed electrician.

To this day, I appreciate anyone who works for a living, no matter what the job.  I just fear for the future as many of the young people I see want to work ass little as possible for large sums of money.  To many, criminal enterprise is preferable to a job at McDonalds, etc.  That scares me...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 10:27:25 AM »
Back for more.  =D

I interpret Mike Rowe's statement and project thusly:

The movement in the US towards sending every person to college will eventually do us more harm than good.  Generally speaking, college graduates expect to earn higher pay and perform "classier" jobs, a.k.a. white collar jobs, instead of manual labor and blue-collar jobs.  With the continued push to get everyone to attend college, we are slowly killing the skilled labor workforce.  Our ever increasing reliance on technology also contributes to the demise of skilled labor.  Add to that our throw-away society and even more skilled jobs are lost.  So, we end up with well-educated people who know or assume that because they have a college degree that they don't have to do any menial labor.  If that trend keeps up, no one will be around to maintain the infrastrucure or repair our cars or build houses.  Or, possibly a worse case, the price of labor will skyrocket or the US will import skilled labor from other countries.  Probably both.

I went to college, not because I wanted to but because a degree is required for my job.  I don't know why, I'm just skilled-labor, but the job requires a college degree so I went to college.  Frankly, if a degree wasn't required for my career, I wouldn't have gone to college.

I've been think often about learning another useful skill such as electrician.  Just doing the usual jobs around my house makes me realize that I don't have life-living skills.  I've only ever had one real job - pilot.  If I lost that job, I don't know that I would be qualified for anything else or even have enough useful skills to start somewhere else.  It's really eye-opening considering that I'm a college graduated, technically-skilled, white-collar professional.  Some people are impressed that I fly planes for a living.  I'm impressed by the guy that builds well-fitted cabinetry or the guy that can machine parts to such a fine tolerance that I can't measure the differences in pieces.  That is impressive.

So, yeah, I like Mike Rowe's idea(l).
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
Maybe things have changed, but the last time I looked, skilled labor didn't pay nearly as much as jobs that require a college degree. I would much rather build cabinets and fine furniture than the work I'm doing, but I couldn't make enough money to justify the switch. If I could make $100K a year as a plumber or electrician and find work reliably, I'd be a lot more interested.

The other issue with a lot of the skilled labor jobs is the working environment. I worked construction for a while before I got my degree, but got tired of the ex-cons, juvenile sex talk, and abusive bosses. I liked the work itself a lot, but I couldn't stand the people I worked with. Maybe I just had bad luck, I don't know.

If I could work with good people and make the kind of money I'm making now, I think I would be much happier as an electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 11:22:36 AM »
There's a balance that needs to be maintained.....the world needs mechanics just as much as it needs psychologists, pastors, plumbers, cooks, and journalists....

...try living in a world without one of these....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 11:42:48 AM »

Nice strawman.  Arguing that skilled labor jobs are undervalued and are being neglected by those who help guide young'uns past their HS diploma is not arguing that "the only essential jobs are producing physical items."

Also, your post(1) displays ignorance of what requires skilled labor.  For instance, an auto mechanic does not produce physical items, he merely maintains what is already produced.  He uses his mind and tooling to do what no robot could do: diagnose and fix problems on vehicles that break in many & various ways due to the many and varied ways owners use their vehicles.  Done well, this requires physical and mental flexibility that no robot or software can currently invoke.

Quote from: MB
The truth is that we just simply need less factory workers and truck drivers and so forthtoday.

Not all the growth in GDP is in intangibles.  Those material items still need to be moved & maintained.

In Texas we're hiring truck drivers everyday. Those products built in China don't walk to wal-mart on their own.

What he wrote.

Quote from: Chris
To this day, I appreciate anyone who works for a living, no matter what the job.

Amen, Brother!

One last thing:
Factory production work is easily outsourced to the asiatic despotism of your choice.  Office mind-work is even easier to outsource, as the finished product needs only a data connection to be transported.  What can not be outsourced is the maintenance of the physical items produced by the economy.

(1)  Perhaps you know this, but it is not demonstrated by your post.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 11:45:58 AM »
For instance, an auto mechanic does not produce physical items, he merely maintains what is already produced.  He uses his mind and tooling to do what no robot could do: diagnose and fix problems on vehicles that break in many & various ways due to the many and varied ways owners use their vehicles.  Done well, this requires physical and mental flexibility that no robot or software can currently invoke.

Absolutely no different than the work done by computer engineers, except for maybe a bit less physical work and much more prestige.

Chris

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
I've been think often about learning another useful skill such as electrician.  Just doing the usual jobs around my house makes me realize that I don't have life-living skills.  I've only ever had one real job - pilot.  If I lost that job, I don't know that I would be qualified for anything else or even have enough useful skills to start somewhere else.  It's really eye-opening considering that I'm a college graduated, technically-skilled, white-collar professional.  Some people are impressed that I fly planes for a living.  I'm impressed by the guy that builds well-fitted cabinetry or the guy that can machine parts to such a fine tolerance that I can't measure the differences in pieces.  That is impressive.

So, yeah, I like Mike Rowe's idea(l).

This is something that I've considered in the past.  The baby boomer's emphasizing that their children should go to college, so they didn't have to do manual work.  Get paid more for less manual effort.  Which is great, but if everyone thinks that way, you have no skilled people preforming manual work.

I'm a software developer.  I get paid reasonably well.  But, I realize that there are more and more people in this field every year, globally.  Someone in India would be happy to do my job for half the price.

So, I like to have backup plans.  I don't (yet) have an ASE certification, but I can fix cars like no one's business.  I'm not a journeyman machinist, but I can run a mill and a lathe to produce parts that meet specs on a print.  I'm not a plumber, but I can thread pipe, sweat fittings and calculate drainage line size and slope requirements.  I'm not an electrician, but I can wire single, split, and three phase systems like mad.

I'm not saying that I could go out today and replace an experienced professional in any of these fields - not by a long shot.  But, with a good working knowledge of these and other topics, I hope I can immediately be a useful apprentice in many skilled manual labor positions.

Nothing is forever.  Diversify yourself.  Specialization is for Insects