Author Topic: Improved Cylinder vs. Modified choke  (Read 10798 times)

zahc

• friend
Improved Cylinder vs. Modified choke
« on: May 02, 2009, 02:05:35 PM »
It turns out my free 12ga shotgun came with a full choke. What a downer. I'm trying to decide what choke to buy to replace it. The only thing I shoot is sporting clays at Elm Fork. I'm really bad at shotgunning and usually borrow my friend's 12ga Mossberg which has an Improved Cylinder choke. It seems like I do better with this than the shotguns we had back home. It seems like it's easier, but I'm not sure if it's the choke. My family always used Modified for rabbits but they always used 20 guages too.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Improved Cylinder vs. Modified choke
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 02:19:32 PM »
What choke you use for sporting clays depends on the course and what round you're shooting. One local course here varies a lot, a couple stations #7 1/2 with mod or full would be ideal, while another station really needs #9 with a skeet tube. I usually use 1oz #8 with an Improved Cylinder tube in my 870.

What kind of shotgun is it and condition? If it doesn't have screw in choke tubes and it's not something that has collector value, I'd seriously consider either taking it to a smith and have it threaded for tubes or find a barrel for it that has them.  If it does have collector value, sell it and get a Remington 870 Express.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »
It's a 12 remington 870 express magnum combo, so it has screw-in tubes.

Do people really switch shotguns or choke tubes between stations? I suppose with a double barrel you could always have Improved Cylinder and Modified available at the same time.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 03:17:53 PM »
Nice gun, I'd probably pick up a mod and IC tube for it (along with some choke tube moly lube, regular grease doesn't always prevent galling), then find some big sheets of cardboard and pattern them at 35 yards so you know what they can do. Some guys change chokes after every station in competition. I might swap out the tube in my 870 once or twice in a course, but like I said, I usually just leave in the IC tube for sporting clays. Most guys use an o/u with mod/IC or IC/skeet depending on the course.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 08:47:53 PM »
Why settle?....buy them both.....or buy one that does it all....

http://www.truglo.com/content/products/firearm/choke_tubes/titan_adjustable.asp

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »
Seeker_two, what once was old is new again.

I remember C-Lect Chokes and Poly-Chokes, and I always thought they were as ugly as a mud fence.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »
My choice would be I.C.
7-11 was a part time job.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »
I've got a mossy with one of the adjustable dealies on it...

Blog under construction