Main Forums > The Roundtable

laptop sound card went out

(1/1)

buy guns:
i was listening to music with headphones when i got shocked and since then the sound hasnt worked. this happened before about 6 months ago and i got it replaced under warranty. i have a gateway laptop which was bought new in mid 2003.

i dont know much about computer hardware so i want to know if its possible for me to replace the soundcard with an aftermarket one instead of having to send it to gateway and letting them fix it only to have it break again.

mtnbkr:
There are PCCard sound cards and now USB sound "cards".  I've never used them, so I have no idea how well they work, bu they're out there.

Chris

Daniel964:
Are you saying you got an electrical shock?  If so you should send it back for service. Other things could be messed up with it now. Also explain to Gateway that you suffered and electrical shock and they may be VERY NICE to you.

jefnvk:
He did send it back.

You won't bve able to replace the sound card, it is most likely an onboard.  However, like mtnbkr said, there are replacement USB and PCMCIA sound cards.  I have no idea how well they work though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version