Author Topic: "Cash for clunkers" plan to boost car sales and help environment?  (Read 6817 times)

red headed stranger

• friend
WASHINGTON (AP) — The House of Representatives on Tuesday approved a "cash for clunkers" bill that aims to boost new auto sales by allowing consumers to turn in their gas-guzzling cars and trucks for vouchers worth up to $4,500 toward more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Link

If this were to pass, I bet it would have a similar affect as gun buyback programs.  People will turn in their crappy jalopy that they haven't been driving anyway.  Also, makes me wonder about the potential profit making opportunities for people who want to do the legwork to buy a $300-$500 clunker, and then turn it around into a $4500 "trade in."  I know I might . . .
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: "Cash for clunkers" plan to boost car sales and help environment?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »
I'm really PO'd that I am going to have to pay for another Great IdeaTM.

I think it was Hannity that was commenting yesterday that when Murtha was asked where the money for this boondoggle was coming from the Distinguished Gentleman kept on repeating "It's a voucher" as if he thought there was no actual money that had to come from somewhere attached to the plan.

There needs to be a way to get Congresspersons out of Oz and have to live in the real world.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:23:43 AM »
Wow, what a deal.

I have a 1978 4x4 full size van I just lunched the engine in. This may come in handy.

But, I like my gas guzzler, this may present a problem.

bob

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 07:41:41 AM »
Bob,

It already presents a problem.  The problem is I do not like the idea that I have to pay for your "voucher".

The economy sucks so badly already that dealers ought to be ready to cut prices even more than usual to get your business.  If you move quickly you can find some former General Motors (as opposed to current Government Motors) dealers who need to unload inventory ASAP.  They are going to go bust and bankrupt anyway, so selling for some money before that happens is better than holding on to a large liability.  It's called creating your own voucher without government assistance.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:50:29 AM »
Wow, what a deal.

I have a 1978 4x4 full size van I just lunched the engine in. This may come in handy.

But, I like my gas guzzler, this may present a problem.

bob

You have one of my dream toys....however I don't have the room or the time to work on something like that right now.....

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:37:37 AM »
Be glad that you're not in Israel. THe new 'right-wing' government here instituted a 92% tax on all new cars except for Mini/Smart type setups.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 09:04:05 AM »
skidmark,

I really don't think anyone would give me 4500 in trade in for my van. It is a 78 after all.

The only thing I would trade it in on would be another 4x4 van, which I won't do.

The one I have is smog equipment free, computer free and still servicable.

I will get a long block and swap it out, I have no intention of buying anything new for quite a while.

But, the requirement to trade up to increased gas milage is a cinch, I get about 9-10 miles to the gallon, uphill, downhill, headwind, tailwind, on road or off. Plus if I can get the traction in 4 wheel drive, I could probably pull my house off the foundation. Something to be said for the 460 Ford engines with gobs of torque.

So now you don't need to be concerned about funding my "voucher", I am sure there will be plenty others to fund if this passes.

bob

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 09:06:38 AM »
I really wish I could come buy that thing offa you....
 :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 09:30:41 AM »
You have one of my dream toys....however I don't have the room or the time to work on something like that right now.....

Is there room in El Tejon's Front yard to park it, until you two can work out a deal ??

=D =D  :angel: :angel:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 09:56:46 AM »
So how long will it be before we are o longer permitted to drive our old gas guzzleing clunkers?
Require salvage yards to shredd/recycle everything more than XX years old.
Not allowed to register a vehicle more than XX years old or an exponential increase in registration fees for older vehicles, with maybe an exception for antiques.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 09:58:24 AM »
So how long will it be before we are o longer permitted to drive our old gas guzzleing clunkers?
Require salvage yards to shredd/recycle everything more than XX years old.
Not allowed to register a vehicle more than XX years old or an exponential increase in registration fees for older vehicles, with maybe an exception for antiques.

Shhhh, Don't give them any ideas.   :police: :police:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
Is there room in El Tejon's Front yard to park it, until you two can work out a deal ??

In the neighborhood across from mine, there was a Goldwing parked in someone's yard.

I say, "hey, you from Illinois or something.  Move your bike and put on a shirt and shoes."

=D

Neighborhood Police=> :police:

(Keep Lafayette Beautiful, Keep Kirk Inside His Office)
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »
Does it say how many junkers I can buy now to convert into vouchers later?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 12:17:54 PM »
You can bet that when you take your 4500 buck voucher down to the dealer, the only break you are going to get off the list price is 4500 bucks.  There is no way the dealer will give you more than the voucher off of the price.  Just watch......Or, the dealer will give you 4500 bucks for your trade in which reduces the list price 4500 bucks, then sells it to the government for 4500 bucks, thus sold a car for list price.......chris3

Marvin Dao

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »
Does it say how many junkers I can buy now to convert into vouchers later?

There's actually a fairly clever clause that only allows cars that have been insured for the past year to receive the credit. Not too many junkers with insurance running around these days.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 03:28:12 PM »
I really wish I could come buy that thing offa you....

What would you do with this old clunker?

I think I will try to keep it going another 20 years or so.

bob

crt360

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 04:13:42 PM »
So my twenty-five year old Toyota is technically not a clunker, despite the noxious (and occasionally visible) emissions, body damage and missing paint, because it still gets well over 18 mpg?  Something smells fishy with this voucher deal.  You get one for a new SUV that gets only 2 mpg more than your current SUV?  Hardly environmentally based - they just want to sucker you into buying a new car from your new car company.

Bob, that's a badass van.  I'd keep it for awhile, too.
For entertainment purposes only.

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
15 to 20 years California had a "Cash for Clunkers" program that was almost exactly like the "Gun buy back" programs.  People were turning in old cars, many that hadn't been driven much in years.  Many of the cars were in great shape or were from the muscle/pony car years.  Untold numbers of collector cars were crushed before they managed to get that abomination shut down or modified with a grace period allowing the cars to be purchased to restore or use for parts.  I know it doesn't look the greatest, but I'm not giving up my Lightning p/u.

Tim

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 06:40:09 PM »

I think I will try to keep it going another 20 years or so.

bob

Roof rack with off-road lights front, rear, sides, and a pull out awning.  Front bucket seats, middle row bench seat.  No back seats, with locking gun storage and overhead rod storage.  Front winch bumper with rod holders for surf rods.  Rear bumper with jerry can storage and spare tire rack.  Larger gas can.  GPS, Satellite radio.  Front and rear limited slips.  Skid plates on the differentials and transfercase.
Ideally, it would be diesel. Is that a one ton?  (where's the "drool" smiley?)
JD

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
There's actually a fairly clever clause that only allows cars that have been insured for the past year to receive the credit. Not too many junkers with insurance running around these days.
Another limitation is that the voucher has to be used for the purchase of a new car.  How many new cars can the average Joe afford right now?

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 08:25:34 PM »
Hmm, that new car I was reading about is supposed to be imported within a year or two. http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/NussbaumOnDesign/archives/2008/01/indias_new_car.html Supposedly they'll be trying for a $2500 list price. Sooo, I can trade in a clunker, get my $4500 voucher, and actually get cash back when I leave the dealership with a new car? Great! Where do I sign up? Clearly, all the living within my means stuff, and all that tripe about personal responsibility I used to believe in is out of fashion.
Hi.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »
15 to 20 years California had a "Cash for Clunkers" program that was almost exactly like the "Gun buy back" programs. 

I kept getting notices from the state to turn in my "old" 1980 Buick for $500. However, in order to get the money my car had to pass the rules on their checklist:
Currently registered and insured. Check.
Must have passed smog and emissions tests within the year. Check.
In fair mechanical condition. Check.

The last time I got a notice, I returned the completed checklist with a note stating that since my car was still in such good shape, I was keeping it.  =)
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 02:29:21 AM »

Duuude, quadraphonic system with 8-track and a mattress in the back!     =D
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 02:52:01 AM »

Do you have any candy mister?
Look, tiny text!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 02:48:41 PM »
I'll note that there probably aren't too many takers for this, and by my math, you HAVE to offer the $4.5k to get many people to take it.  The limitations really restrict it - there's a lot of choices out there that won't net the full money.

As with many such programs, it's often not enough to change an uneconomical decision into a new one.  IE if you weren't already considering a new vehicle because your old one is dying/no longer meets needs, you're probably not a candidate for this.

Personally, the only reason I'd justify this would be on pollution prevention.  A 20 year old car pollutes a LOT more than a new one, especially if it's had iffy maintenance.  To an extent that you can prevent more pollution by buying out the people driving the worst clunkers for less money than raising emissions standards yet again.