Author Topic: Michael Jackson Dead  (Read 31999 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Michael Jackson Dead
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »
Yeah, and the main problem with Cryonics is the thawing process, IIRC. The proteins break down and you turn to mush. Suffice to say, it may be a long time -if ever- that people can be frozen, thawed, and brought back to life.

Modern cryonics doesn't freeze people at all in the usual sense.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2009, 03:08:03 PM »
Oh freeze me nooottttt, in the laboratoryyyyyy....  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »
Michael is going to get a chilly reception.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

crt360

• friend
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2009, 09:22:06 PM »
Oh freeze me nooottttt, in the laboratoryyyyyy....  :laugh:

:D
For entertainment purposes only.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2009, 10:27:26 PM »
No, they're Moonwalking the coffin to the grave.

Quite funny, actually. Took me a few seconds to get it.

Got it.  Bit before my time.  Still funny though, now that I understand.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2009, 02:25:04 AM »
What's sad to me is that he managed to completely upstage Farrah.  She may have been a lightweight, but she knew it and ran with it.  And her fan base was far less creepy.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2009, 06:45:33 AM »
Modern cryonics doesn't freeze people at all in the usual sense.
Gotcha. I looked it up just now and they do indeed use a chemical to stop ice forming.

Freaky stuff.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
This dude holds the contrary opinion that post-J5 MJ wasn't all the great.

http://pajamasmedia.com/ronrosenbaum/2009/06/27/michael-jackson-wasnt-that-good-after-he-left-the-jackson-five/

Heresy: Michael Jackson Wasn’t That Good After He Left The Jackson Five

I know this is heresy, blasphemy to the gods of the publicity industrial complex who created and destroyed the later Michael Jackson.

But I’ve let a day pass since his awful death before saying this: after the completely wonderful Jackson Five era, Michael Jackson was no longer a very interesting singer, not after he left the collaborative genius of the J-5. He became known for his dancing (wow, the moonwalk, really memorable!), for his stupid costumes (what was with the whole militaristic thing? And was the glove really all that interesting or distinctive in any way?), for one or two good songs (”Human Nature” or whatever it was officially called) and “Thriller” wasn’t one of them. Come on, do you really think that novelty concoction is worth another listen ever? (Okay I liked “Billy Jean” even though I still misremember the key lyric as “the chair is not my love”)

Then after the success of his solo comeback, fueled by nostalgia and moonwalking eccentricity, he became known for being a celebrity, famous for being famous, then famous for his eccentricities. Eccentricities that were at first harmless (Bubbles the chimp, etc.), then famous for being weird (”Neverland” the boy-pals), famous for his grotesque plastic surgeries, then famous for being an accused child-molester, acquitted of criminal charges but never able to quit the children. Then he became famous for his famous associations–buying the Beatles catalog and doing that hideously sappy “The Girl is Mine”* with Paul McCartney,”marrying” Lisa Marie Presley, etc. Famous for his famously annoying sisters. Famous for anointing himself “King of Pop” when he no longer could produce a decent pop song. And yet the idiot pop media went along with it, He was the King of Trainwreck Celebrity.

But as for his music? Can you name a single post-”Thriller” song he did?

Sorry. He and the Jackson Five created something magical. “I’ll Be There” is an immortal love song, sublimely beautiful in its simplicity. I’ll remember him with gratitude for that and the rest of the J-5 hits, and try to forget the trainwreck he became.

But in the “moronic inferno” (h/t Martin Amis) of the media “mourning” let’s not forget the real tragedy, that he long ago ceased being a talent and gave in to being a mere celebrity, the sure road to ruin.

*thanks for reader correction.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:33 AM »
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
While I disagree to a significant degree.

What Mr. PJs fails to recognize is how effectively Jackson fused music and visuals and in large part invented the modern music video.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »
While I disagree to a significant degree.

What Mr. PJs fails to recognize is how effectively Jackson fused music and visuals and in large part invented the modern music video.

Which means he had good videos. Good videos != great music. Influential, sure. but not zomg musical genius.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:48 PM »
sigh.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:56:57 PM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2009, 12:36:30 PM »
Deleted by poster.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:52:07 PM by Two Cold Soakers »
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2009, 12:56:43 PM »
You're right, it is.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2009, 01:20:44 PM »
FTR, I give MJ more credit than the guy who wrote the article.  Off the Wall & Thriller were something to write home about, even for someone like myself who despises most all pop music.

Nothing after Thriller was worth a hoot, IMO.

I do not automatically equate popularity/sales with quality.  If that were the case, McDonald's greaseburgers would be the best burgers on the planet.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2009, 01:25:08 PM »
I never got the MJ thing. I guess his weirdness just overpowered his talent for me.

The only song I remember of his is Billie Jean, just because it is kind of unusual in several ways.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »
I think GraphJam has the best summary of this issue.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.