Author Topic: Minnesota senate win for Franken  (Read 13886 times)

longeyes

• friend
Re: Minnesota senate win for Franken
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 03:57:04 PM »
Speaking of "neural misfires"...

No, you don't seriously want to know.

The cataclysmic social event has been happening for decades.  It is happening right in front of you.  And there are many types of gulags, including "soft" ones.  Obama's just the spearpoint of a movement that is able to put a fool like FrankenSenator into office.   You have major legislation pending that will radically transform America, possibly irreversibly, with more, no doubt on the way (I am referring to immigration "reform," the crackdown on talk radio, and stiffer gun restrictions), and you really think I am an alarmist???  Franken, to me, represents the triumph of entertainment over the rational virtues that make a viable Republic endure.

As for Palin, we don't know the truth yet, but who would be shocked to learn that she's disgusted with what politics has become.  Look to the margins for the real action.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 04:04:22 PM by longeyes »
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 12:16:32 AM »
In the land of the Unserious the unfunny comic is king.

Franken represents the ascendancy of a culture that can't think straight and prefers easy entertainments to reason and sober truths, the fundaments of a sound republic.

We've had clowns in office for a long time; now we have a professional, admitted one.  When Stuart Smalley and Air America converge and actually reach political power we have reached the edge of the precipice in America's political history.

Maybe, just maybe, we are reaching the nadir, though.  I'd like to believe that.

It seems to me to be the reflection of a usual sentiment on this board:

"I get to choose between big government trying to control me with fear or I get to choose big government trying to control me with fear".

I think that the people (TM) are sending the signal, by electing a two-bit like Franken, that they think both parties are a joke.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 12:34:27 AM »
I think that the people (TM) are sending the signal, by electing a two-bit like Franken, that they think both parties are a joke.

Sorry, The People (TM) are not that sophisticated.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 12:40:25 AM »
You underestimate.

Edit: I should elaborate -- no one elected Franken because he is funny or famous.  They elected Franken because it is funny to elect Franken.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:45:19 AM by FTA84 »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 01:14:42 AM »
You're saying they did it for the lulz?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 01:18:39 AM »
I should elaborate:  The electorate collaborating, working together in masse to elect Franken, would require a sophistication that they, as a group, would never have.  There was never any movement or organization showing such.
Franken was elected simply because he was more appealing to the electorate than Coleman, albeit by a very small margin.
That does not say much for those that voted for him.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:22:18 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
I never said it was a conspiracy en masse.  I stopped visiting this board because of people inventing what was said in my posts.  I already regret having posted once again.

Franken already had an up because he was a (D) on the Obama election night.  With the youth vote turn out, the swing voting people would do it for the so called 'lulz'.  There is nothing sophisticated about a popular disenfranchisement, "Franken can't do any worse than those other guys.  They're all clowns".

Maybe I hang out with a younger crowd, but I was anxious to see if Colbert was on the South Carolina ballot, how many people would turn out to vote for him.  I bet it would be a considerable number.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/07/us/the-2002-elections-midwest-ohio.html
Look at how many people voted for James Traficant in 2002.  15% after he was convicted, expelled from congress and on his way to jail! Which was all highly publicized in his district and was also the talk of the town.  15% of people thought it was amusing or fitting to elect such a person to congress.  It was no conspiracy but a reflection of the sentiment that 15% of people thought it was some version of 'lulz' to the current state of the system.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 11:32:10 AM »
 ;/ No one is inventing what was said in your post dude. I think there is just some disagreement as to whether people voted for Franken as a joke.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »
Franken was elected simply because he was more appealing to the electorate than Coleman, albeit by a very small margin.
I thought he was elected because of 1) a significant third-party candidate supported by Jesse Ventura; AND 2) Voter fraud, including stuffed ballot boxes in dozens of precincts?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
Minnesota voters were doing the equivalent of a write-in for Bozo the Clown as a protest vote?

You give today's voters far too much credit.  Do you protest restrictive gun laws by shooting your toe off?

One suspects the election was rigged, but it wouldn't be that surprising that in a traditionally liberal state like Minnesota--and one that is probably becoming more so because of demographic changes--that even a truculent stand-up comic could win a big political job these days.  Let us hope that more of the SNL crew doesn't plan political careers, because they, in today's America, will probably win too.  There was a time in this country when people could separate entertainment from more sober aspects of life, but that time is fast fading, and I at least expect this trend to continue to play out until the kids are finally all sent to their rooms after a series of major disasters.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »
You underestimate.

Edit: I should elaborate -- no one elected Franken because he is funny or famous.  They elected Franken because it is funny to elect Franken.
Even that is a stretch.  It's hard to say that he was actually elected.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
My question is why the GOP isn't ostracizing him in protest at what they have to know was very likely an illegitimate election.  If the GOP keeps playing the game by the other guy's rules they will have a very short life expectancy as a viable party.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 01:03:07 PM »
Minnesota voters were doing the equivalent of a write-in for Bozo the Clown as a protest vote?

You give today's voters far too much credit.  Do you protest restrictive gun laws by shooting your toe off?

One suspects the election was rigged, but it wouldn't be that surprising that in a traditionally liberal state like Minnesota--and one that is probably becoming more so because of demographic changes--that even a truculent stand-up comic could win a big political job these days.  Let us hope that more of the SNL crew doesn't plan political careers, because they, in today's America, will probably win too.  There was a time in this country when people could separate entertainment from more sober aspects of life, but that time is fast fading, and I at least expect this trend to continue to play out until the kids are finally all sent to their rooms after a series of major disasters.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5hjH5schNIYeN11mFx_b6WcDigyoA

Alec Baldwin could be the next US actor to enter politics after saying he was giving "serious thought" to running for Congress.

The film and TV star told Playboy magazine that he was determined to run for office, but a lot depended on whether he'd be given the opportunity.

He said: "The desire is there; that's one component. The other component is opportunity."

In his blog for political website The Huffington Post, Alec denied speculation that he was preparing to run against former vice presidential candidate Joe Lieberman.

He told the magazine that he would love to run against Mr Lieberman, but added that at this stage it was "all fantasy".

Alec later confirmed that he would not be running in Connecticut. On his blog, he wrote: "As much as I think Lieberman is an enormous letdown to the party that gave him their nomination for vice president, I am sure the Democrat Party leaders in that state will take care of themselves."

But he did not rule out a more active political role going forward.

"Running for public office involves among the most sacred trusts that one can enter into and I would like to give that a lot of serious thought before I decide if that is right for me and the voters I would potentially serve."

But given his past controversies - including a leaked answerphone rant in which he berated his then 11-year-old daughter - Baldwin appears to be under no illusions over the scrutiny a move into public service would place him under.

He told Playboy: "If I run for political office, they'll have a forest of material to kill me with."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »
My question is why the GOP isn't ostracizing him in protest at what they have to know was very likely an illegitimate election.  If the GOP keeps playing the game by the other guy's rules they will have a very short life expectancy as a viable party.
But they'll be able to shake hands with one another and congratulate themselves on the courtesy they showed their opponents . . . as they're vacating their own offices.

I think it was Ann Coulter who said words to the effect that while she didn't want GOP politicians to become shrieking lunatics like Howard Dean, she wished they'd behave like men once in a while.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2009, 08:26:29 PM »
I never said it was a conspiracy en masse.

I never said it was a conspiracy, either.  Never mentioned the word.  I never thought it was.  A collaboration does not a conspiracy make.
I didn't put words in your mouth.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2009, 08:28:48 PM »
I thought he was elected because of 1) a significant third-party candidate supported by Jesse Ventura; AND 2) Voter fraud, including stuffed ballot boxes in dozens of precincts?

Mmmm...could be some of that, too.